996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

CITY LIFE WITH 996t?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:42 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
the tt will hate you if you drive it in traffic. Get a Civic. I'm serious

tw

Old 07-10-2008, 09:03 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
So you're one of those people chatting away on the cell phone messed up traffic and not looking what you're doing... actually i take it back, the only ones who appear to do that are women - either way get a bluetooth

Regardless, i wouldn't do it, your TT WILL undoubtedly get messed up, people don't car, are reckless, the pot holes are killer...

If you do though, in the city tip is the way to go, 6 speed will make you go nuts, and you can forget about multitasking, all of your energy will be focused on shifting light to light to light

Get something nice, but something you won't have to worry about all the time, the only car i drive when in chicago is my prius

Old 07-10-2008, 10:37 PM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
i live in brooklyn.. and i go to manhattan often... however rarely during rush hour....

today i had too. it was a nightmare. no fun to drive. you cant enjoy your car.

however, if its not rush hour driving.. (either in between or later at night) its always a blast to drive in the city.

i wouldnt get this car as a daily commuter if your commute hours are considered to be heavily trafficked.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 PM
drunkenoldman is infamous around these parts
I live in Glencoe and sometimes take Sheridan and Lake Shore drive to get to work. Just get a big benz. Save the turbo for the weekend, there are to many crap drivers during the weekday including my self.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:05 PM
soothsayer is infamous around these parts
Considering the road conditions out here in Chicago with all the construction and pot holes/black holes, I would never consider commuting with the tt. The road infrastructure here has gotten beyond ridiculous. But to answer your question, 6 speed. If a lady driving and escalade ext can talk on a cell phone and put on lipstick at the same time, you can handle a 6 speed... steer with your leg.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:25 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
No way in hell I would get an automatic sports car. I live in the city and have to negotiate wicked hills sometimes with my manual. Oh well, it's part of the deal. But again, get bluetooth and 1 phone. If you need to write something down, pull over.

Automatics are for the SUVs and big boat Benz 4 doors....

Old 07-10-2008, 11:56 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by soothsayer
Considering the road conditions out here in Chicago with all the construction and pot holes/black holes, I would never consider commuting with the tt. The road infrastructure here has gotten beyond ridiculous. But to answer your question, 6 speed. If a lady driving and escalade ext can talk on a cell phone and put on lipstick at the same time, you can handle a 6 speed... steer with your leg.
+1 well said.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:19 AM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
Honestly, I don't care what the transmission is on a track... there are other things to focus on. On the street, in stop and go traffic, I'd get really really bored if I diddn't at least have some shifting to do. =) A 6-speed is perfect.

But, if you need to write while commuting, I'm thinking a bus or train might be best! =)

Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by J996t
ive been working hard you can say, and would want something as a self given gift

the turbo has always been my love, m5s are very nice and a beast. if i would drive around clients that would be one thing, but im going from home to work to meet with clients to jobsite(s) maybe.....

youre saying if i DO get a 996turbo and its a tip its a waste?

QUICK offtopic question, the car itself isnt a huge attention getter correct? i wouldnt want people always staring or egging on a race...
is the question another tip vs stick or DD TT in traffic
then the answers are stick and no.

in the end do what YOU like not what us bozos say!!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
edict is infamous around these parts
i used to have a slammed vette before i moved overseas and would drive to my parents place in glencoe all the time. to be honest, with all the roadwork on those small roads (and the potholes on sheridan) i wouldnt use a tt as a daily driver. and there's absolutely no fun driving any sportscar on 94 during rush hour traffic, which for some reason seems to be all the time now.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:33 AM
maxboost is infamous around these partsmaxboost is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tom kerr
doesnt sound like an enjoyable use of a TT especially if it forces you to get a tip, my 2 cents.
get and M5 or something like that, I think you will be uncomfortable and stressed out.

agree 100%!!!!!!!!!

m5 or 335 with piggyback

Old 07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
J996t is infamous around these parts
GUYS! thanks so much for your feedback, both positive and negative...

i may have been slightly unclear, i have a SUV and a work van, this car will be used to go say from home to a jobsite and back, or from client meeting to another clients...

i use the suv or the work van whenever i need it and always on jobsites where i have to let workers know whats going on and what we need to do.

i really do not wish wi get a m5,m3,7series,cls....ive been diagnosed with the porsche addiction bug. you know how the saying goes "you want it, youll get it"....

to the 6speeder who said is this a tip vs 6sp or a tt as a DD in the city post; it is both.

once again thanks so much for everything.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:10 PM
J996t is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by drunkenoldman
I live in Glencoe and sometimes take Sheridan and Lake Shore drive to get to work. Just get a big benz. Save the turbo for the weekend, there are to many crap drivers during the weekday including my self.

yes sheridan is horrible now, i believe right off central (wilmette) and sheridan its only a 1 way street now....

atleast 94 will be done (somewhat) soon

Old 07-11-2008, 12:33 PM
matteblack997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BLKM3
Couldn't have said it any better.
+1000

Old 07-12-2008, 03:35 AM
turbostef is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MY996TT
Just my little 2cents...
for those that have a gaytronic,

Gaytronic? You just kille me
That is by far the best word for a tip

we never complained about the car is not fun to drive; in fact, most of us love it. Somehow, you'd only see the 6speeders have opinions on Tips; and the funny thing is... most of them might have driven one before, but never own one. I have been driving a 6speed all my life, but when I got in my Tip TT, I don't care if it is a Tip or 6speed; it's just purely joyful.
Tip or not is more off an issue of emotions than anything else.
Some like it some don`t

I have an automatic car for DD but never buy a tipper for my P Car
As long as it is a tip! Though the new Porsche PDK could be very interesting
for you! This thing seems to change gears without any interruption of
acceleration --> Will drive one next week!

Think about a 997S with PDK (OK not enough power but 997 TT is great also)