996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Different turbos-pros and cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Different turbos-pros and cons

There are so many turbos to upgrade our cars, I'm just trying to understand the various advantages and characteristics of the different units so I can make an informed decision when the time comes. I have stock turbos and see that while they have great low rpm torque, they kind of die off after 5500 rpm's. I've also read that K24's pull much stronger at the top of the rpm range, but there is more lag before hitting the boost sweet spot. What about all the other hybrids? Is there a turbo that does it all?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Hi.... Is your car a tip or 6spd? Also are you just driving on the street or doing some track work too.. Tim

Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
This is a good question. Tough to keep track and compare for many of us.

Looking forward to replies here.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
it's a million dollar question....
too many variables are at play to really come to a conclusion....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed. Confusing. Good question. We should have a table like the Mobil 1 table of oil weights.

Sort of like this:

Model OEM(+/-) Peaky power range(in units of 500rpm) Installation cost (k$) Reliability (1-5) Oil cooled (+/-) Other special features (Zero clearance coating, etc.) Peak tuned power with other changes needed (exhaust/air/ecu).

Just a thought.

So

K16 Yes 3500 to 5000 Nil (stock) 4 (if cooled down) Oil. Easy to replace and find. ~530 HP/530tq.

Just a thought...

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 07-10-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:08 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I drive a 6 speed and want it for the track.

Markski, that's kind of a cop out since you probably have more experience at this than most. Please enlighten us. Not asking for a book length dissertation.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
I drive a 6 speed and want it for the track.

Markski, that's kind of a cop out since you probably have more experience at this than most. Please enlighten us. Not asking for a book length dissertation.
Not a cop out.. all your going to get is individuals pushing their own products ( the tuners they spent money with) and you will only get them to argue on what is better ... lag vs no lag.. etc... off the shelf ecu vs custom tune etc....

my best advice is.... drive a tuned car you would like to duplicate... make your own decision... all your going to get asking this general question is guys telling you that K24s are laggy and that K16/24s are better.... then you will have the K24/18g guys say that both K24s and k16/24s stop producing power when compared to the 18gs........ then you will have the GT28 hybrid turbo guys tell you that the ball bearing turbos are better and more moerful then the K24/18gs... etc etc etc...
You will never get a answer to your question. You will only get a bunch of guys arguing....
yes I had 4 sets of turbos.. so I know... but there is more to it then just picking the right turbo....
good luck,
markski

click to view

Old 07-10-2008, 04:12 PM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
What you need to figure out is what you will be doing with your car most the time, how hard you push it, where you drive it, and what sort of power levels you want. Then pick a tuner and they should be able to take care of you.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
You're in Maryland.
Come to this:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...=136733&page=2
And bum a bunch of rides. Out of the people who are "in", there are K24/18g cars, Garrett cars, K16 hybrid cars, etc. Eventually you'll find what you're looking for.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
hey man
k24 turbo's can give you close to 600hp at the crank
thats what the gt2 came with
i have k24's but im looking to upgrade to larger turbo's

if youre interested in my turbo's let me know
i have to give my car to RPM (subliminal peer pressure) to put something a little bigger in there

Old 07-10-2008, 05:18 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI

my best advice is.... drive a tuned car you would like to duplicate...
Would love to, and have, but easier said than done when EVERYONE in my area seems to be running EVOMS stuff.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Maybe this is more direct. Markski, what kind of turbo are you presently running and what are it's characteristics? Are you happy with it or are you planning to change again? Also, I know you are into 1/4 mile runs, so would your setup be good for road racing on the track?

Old 07-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by landjet
Maybe this is more direct. Markski, what kind of turbo are you presently running and what are it's characteristics? Are you happy with it or are you planning to change again? Also, I know you are into 1/4 mile runs, so would your setup be good for road racing on the track?
Im a a set of GT35rs... so I doubt your going that route. And no, my set up is actually not ideal for 1/4... nor road racing.

In my opinion, You do not need much of HP for road racing. get a 1 bar flash from a good tuner, upgrade ur DVs and airfilter, get a used exhaust with 100 cell cats and call it a day.

Now, if you intend to street race.. thats different...

click to view

Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Not a cop out.. all your going to get is individuals pushing their own products ( the tuners they spent money with) and you will only get them to argue on what is better ... lag vs no lag.. etc... off the shelf ecu vs custom tune etc....

my best advice is.... drive a tuned car you would like to duplicate... make your own decision... all your going to get asking this general question is guys telling you that K24s are laggy and that K16/24s are better.... then you will have the K24/18g guys say that both K24s and k16/24s stop producing power when compared to the 18gs........ then you will have the GT28 hybrid turbo guys tell you that the ball bearing turbos are better and more moerful then the K24/18gs... etc etc etc...
You will never get a answer to your question. You will only get a bunch of guys arguing....
yes I had 4 sets of turbos.. so I know... but there is more to it then just picking the right turbo....
good luck,
markski
Like your style! With tons of knowledge but staying neutral.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
.. all your going to get is individuals pushing their own products ( the tuners they spent money with) and you will only get them to argue on what is better ... lag vs no lag.. etc... off the shelf ecu vs custom tune etc....
True. But within that noise, you can glean a few people that are more even handed with their advice, and perhaps some repeated messages. Just discard the posts from sponsors hawking their stuff-

If I had stock K16s and was looking for a single step, I'd go zero clearance turbos. Technically these are very attractive- at least IMHO. The question will then be 'how big'. If you are keeping stock internals that sets the upper bar. If you want nice 'power under the curve' for track use I think you will have your answer.

So, as with most 'problems', you need to define the 'boundaries'... once you know that, the solutions are much more constrained.

my 2 cents!

A

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Different turbos-pros and cons