996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fabspeed loud exhaust, need help....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 01:14 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Fabspeed loud exhaust, need help....

Todd from Evo told me that someone on this board who lives in Chicago area has a Fabspeed Loud on their car. I am interested in listening to it live.

For anyone else who has this exhuast. How is the fit and finish? How bad is the interior resonance? How is the sound? Deep burble or more Ferrari like? Does it make throttle response better? Performance gains? I just installed the Europipe Stage 2 loud. I love the quality and I have to tell you the low end and mid-range performance gain is quite remarkable. Stephan's exhaust test showed the Europipe making by far the most low end and mid-range hp and torque. Ultimately, the Fabspeed beats it in hp and torque, albeit higher on the rev range. I drive mostly where I need low end and mid-range, no track days for me. If I switch to the Fabspeed am I going to lose all of it? Thanks.

-Lou

Old 09-04-2003, 01:42 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
I have been in a 996TT with Fabspeed and there is a decent amount of resonance. You'll have it more so in the low end of the RPM band 2K-3K than 3K+ (at which point the exhaust gets louder and louder....loud hum vs. booming bass). At WOT, it screams, but if you'll be driving around in the lower to mid range band, you'll probably get tired of it.

I have had cars with very loud exhaust systems (straight pipes, etc.), so Im not one to shy away from a loud exhaust. I could deal with it as well as a number of owners who are very happy with it...but for someone who is relatively conservative, it may be too loud.

Also, regarding sound of a 996TT...you'll never get that ferrari like sound with any exhaust.

Old 09-04-2003, 01:50 PM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
BCS996tt, Which model of Fabspeed are you referring to in your discussion of sound?

Old 09-04-2003, 01:57 PM
Fabspeed Super Sport....

Old 09-04-2003, 02:34 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by BCS996TT
I have been in a 996TT with Fabspeed and there is a decent amount of resonance. You'll have it more so in the low end of the RPM band 2K-3K than 3K+ (at which point the exhaust gets louder and louder....loud hum vs. booming bass). At WOT, it screams, but if you'll be driving around in the lower to mid range band, you'll probably get tired of it.

I have had cars with very loud exhaust systems (straight pipes, etc.), so Im not one to shy away from a loud exhaust. I could deal with it as well as a number of owners who are very happy with it...but for someone who is relatively conservative, it may be too loud.

Also, regarding sound of a 996TT...you'll never get that ferrari like sound with any exhaust.
I want loud. I have the europipe stage 2 loud and it just isn't near loud enough at low rpm's. It is really nice at WOT, but, I never hear it when I am driving around town. That said, are the movies on Fabspeed website pretty indicative of the sound? Did you gain low end? Is throttle response quicker?

I heard a Cargraphic exhaust(I think) which BTW was the loudest I have ever heard, it sounded high pitched, not like a Ferrari, but definately a higher pitch than the Fabspeed I heard on the website. Any input?? Thanks

-Lou

Old 09-04-2003, 02:48 PM
AMG-ETR
(Well you know what I think, but I will post this for anyone else looking for the same info)....
I agree completely with BCS996TT. The exhaust is great and loud, but it does drone. I am 17, so obviously I don't mind this (actually like it). I love the exhaust, and it sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Very loud low end, very deep low end sounds great. The car at WOT is THE BEST!! Coolest sound I have ever heard from an exhaust. I even like it better then the Tubi that I had on my M5!! I couldn't tell you if it helps with power or anything though because it was put on at the same time as my stage 2 ECU, DV's, and Airfilter, so I can't really say which did what....
Good Luck,
Evan

Old 09-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by LSM
I want loud. I have the europipe stage 2 loud and it just isn't near loud enough at low rpm's. It is really nice at WOT, but, I never hear it when I am driving around town. That said, are the movies on Fabspeed website pretty indicative of the sound? Did you gain low end? Is throttle response quicker?

I heard a Cargraphic exhaust(I think) which BTW was the loudest I have ever heard, it sounded high pitched, not like a Ferrari, but definately a higher pitch than the Fabspeed I heard on the website. Any input?? Thanks-Lou
Well, you'll definitely hear it plenty at Low RPMS. It will have a lot of bass (resonance) as I said before.

With video recordings, you dont get the true sound. It almost always seems higher pitched.

I suggest you hear it in person first. If not, then Fabspeed is certainly one of the loudest...if not the loudest exhaust for the 996TT.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:22 PM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by LSM

I heard a Cargraphic exhaust(I think) which BTW was the loudest I have ever heard, it sounded high pitched, not like a Ferrari, but definately a higher pitch than the Fabspeed I heard on the website. Any input?? Thanks

-Lou
Well you must really like loud... I have the quiet installed and I can here it in the cabin at low RPMs... Go for straight pipes.... You will have loud.... or turn the radio down....

Old 09-04-2003, 05:07 PM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
The quality is awesome. Very good workmanship. The sound is pure flat six turbo - an awesome sound. If you've ever heard a flat six turbo race car, that's pretty much what it sounds like. It can't really be compared to a Ferrari or any other car for that matter. About the closest that you could get, other than riding in a Fabspeed super sport equipped car, is to try watching the next ALMS race on TV and listen to the GT3 class racing Porsches when they do the in car camera shots. They make a similar sound at WOT. If my car were mostly track driven, I would opt for the super sport.

Beyond the sound at WOT (which I loved), the drone was difficult for me to live with at low RPMs on a street car. (But, for others, its music to their ears...) And since my car is exclusively street driven, I went with the sport version from Todd/EVO.

FWIW, I think that the sport version is mislabeled as "quiet". It's not really quiet, just less noisy than the super sport.

Last edited by racer63; 09-04-2003 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:45 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Just put mine on 3 hours ago!!! (Fabspeed loud!!) That thing is definitely not for the faint of heart...It is really LOUD!! I personally love loud so I really like it. I have a feeling though I will be selling it soon and getting the quiet (my girlfriend hates loud cars and she has not seen heard my car yet...).
It is not a high pitch sound like a Ferrari or 04 GT3 (I wish it was!!) but rather a deep sound.
I actually have a question for htose with Fabspeed loud: it seems that my tips now stick out more than stock!! They are pushed all the way back so I guess the only fix is to shave the pipe down by like 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch...

Old 09-04-2003, 05:58 PM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
Yep. They stick out more. I suppose you chould shave the tip... but, then again, it looks kinda cool.

Just make sure that you have the tips pushed all the way in. You need to use something like a rubber mallet to pound them (gently) into place. Otherwise they will stick out even more than normal (for the Fabspeeds).

Old 09-04-2003, 06:43 PM
AMG-ETR
Originally posted by msindi
Just put mine on 3 hours ago!!! (Fabspeed loud!!) That thing is definitely not for the faint of heart...It is really LOUD!! I personally love loud so I really like it. I have a feeling though I will be selling it soon and getting the quiet (my girlfriend hates loud cars and she has not seen heard my car yet...).
It is not a high pitch sound like a Ferrari or 04 GT3 (I wish it was!!) but rather a deep sound.
I actually have a question for htose with Fabspeed loud: it seems that my tips now stick out more than stock!! They are pushed all the way back so I guess the only fix is to shave the pipe down by like 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch...

Yes they do stick out more, I like that look, much more aggressive. ALso shaving the pipe won't do anything, its the bend that keeps the tip from going back... Its impossable to make it go back farther, unless you cut the tip....

I think I know who is the "man" of your house j/k. My stepmom hates my exhaust, she also hated my dads 360 and 575M with Tubi, however, that is one thing my dad doesn't listen to her about . She'll get over it, you gotta keep it, by far the best sounding exhaust!!
Evan

Old 09-04-2003, 08:43 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Both exhausts are highly regarded, but Which one is Louder?[list=1][*]FabSpeed - Quite Version: PhD's report showed this to be a very good Mid to High RPM performer in both HP & TQ.[*]Europipe - Loud Version: PhD's report showed this exhaust to be superior in the Low RPM TQ department.[/list=1]
Mike

Last edited by Zippy; 09-04-2003 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:18 PM
LSM
Originally posted by Zippy
What's Louder?[list=1][*]FabSpeed - Quite Version[*]Europipe - Loud Version[/list=1]

Mike
I think the Europipe Loud is louder than the Fabspeed quiet. I heard the Fabspeed quiet and it is not that loud, but sounds good. At wot, the Europipe gets fairly loud and sounds awesome. The europipe loud is really deceiving, because there is zero resonance so you think it is not that loud but, outside it is fairly loud. I juts want louder. That said, it really made a differnce in throttle response and low-end and mid-range are definately very improved. My friend owns an X50 and he said my car felt just as strong as his from launch until, his extra boost kicks in. He was pretty impressed. That, evo diverter valves, and an airfilter were the only mods on the car. (Still waiting to take out my ECU and send it to todd for his stage 2 chip) Someone who has heard both side by side can probably answer this better
-Lou

**On a different note, anyone in Chicago have a Cargraphics exhaust? I would love to hear that. Although like I said, a guy pulled up who was the 2nd owner and I asked what exhaust he had and he said thought it was cargraphic. That was the loudest I had ever heard and loved the sound.

Anyone else have any comments regarding the Cargraphics exhaust? What hp gain does Cargraphics claim? How is fit and finish? How is low-end and mid-range. Is throttle response improved? What is the cost?

Thanks so much for imput, I do not want to make a 2nd mistake with the exhaust I choose.

-Lou

Old 09-04-2003, 11:23 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Ok - the Fabspeed loud has to go!! It is not for me...Any takers?? I would also consider a trade for a Fabspeed quiet...or if someone plans on buying a new Fabspeed, we can arrange so they get mine (28 miles on it!!) at a good discount and I get the quiet...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed loud exhaust, need help....