996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I couldn't wait to share...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 AM
manalex is infamous around these parts
May have missed it, but which k16 hybrids are installed-K16/24?

Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Bluecuda is infamous around these parts
Hey Scott,

I honestly don't know how the car was dyno'd at Tym's place. I haven't actually made it up to his facility yet to see his setup. I will ask him that question this morning and update you later. I would assume that it was run in AWD mode on the street, but it very well may have been dyno'd in RWD.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Ack, I should have responded to all your questions in one post!

manalex: Tym said the turbos were a hybrid that he developed, and didn't go into details on the wheels that were being used.

mxk116: 5 point harnesses would be a pain in the buttocks if I needed them to participate in a PCA event. I guess I could install them for the event, then remove them afterwords, but that would really make me think twice before participating.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Former Vendor
Tym Switzer is infamous around these parts
Details...

Hey guys... sorry I don't get much time to get on the forums... but I'm trying to make more time to get around. I signed up as a sponsor so I could post what we're doing for you guys and not get slapped around too much!

For those interested, this was a package we had been putting together for those who were coming to us asking for a truly "daily driver-occasional track day-pump gas combination."

My goals for the project were to put something together that would:
  • Sacrifice no boost response over the stock K16's.
  • Utilize the stock fuel system without exceeding its capabilities.
  • Maintain full emissions compliance (running our 200 cell cats).
  • Deliver a nice exhaust note, especially at WOT without drone.
  • Build a power curve that was linear enough to produce a well behaved track car (road racing, autocross)... not a car that would violently blow the tires off out of corners.
  • Optimize the tuning for pump gas use only - 93 octane preferred.
  • Produce respectable 60-130 acceleration numbers in daily use on pump gas.
  • Be as enjoyable to drive passively as the stock car, with as good or improved mileage at cruise over stock.
  • Put a smile on your face every time you stabbed the gas.
Other than some real world track testing, we feel we've achieved everything we were going for. The car feels very linear and balanced.

I can make more peak torque with these turbos, but I'd rather keep the torque down and mainain the controllability of the car for how it's going to be used. This can be adjusted as I wish... I've hit 560lbs/ft to the tires in testing, but it's just not necessary. I also don't want to push this combination any harder on the stock intercoolers to be honest. The less I have to stress the combination, the more consistent it can be.

Scott... on the 60-130 times... I've only recorded them twice... once on the initial test drive, and another on a test drive yesterday. It has been 90's and high humidity here this week... not ideal power weather especially on the stock I/C's... but never the less, the car has run 8 flat 60-130 times with passengers. These were roll in third gear starts, one shift... so I think with some effort, I could likely hit a high 7 without issue. I'm really not into beating the daylights out of customer cars unless I am directly instructed to! I'm sure you can understand! I'll see what the car rolls up in some cooler air and I'll send you a graph to get on the list. All of our tuning and testing was on our dynojet here at the shop in rwd... I can run down the street and put it on a Mustang for those interested if I have time... but like I've said before, I don't worry much about peak numbers on dynos... what I'm looking for is real estate between the starting numbers and ending numbers. If you look at the dyno sheet from this car, we've picked up 200rwhp through most of the curve on the same gas while still maintaining full emissions compliance and daily driver noise levels.

As far as the turbos... these are something I cooked up on my own and I don't really see the benefit or reason to give the details of their architecture. No offense to any DIY's or people who are doing their R&C work (Research and Copy).

Package as tested:

SPI K16 Hybrids
SPI Headers
SPI Full Exhaust, Quad Tips, 200 cell Cats
Diverters
Electronic Boost Control
Protomotive/SPI Progamming and Calibration
5 BAR FPR
SPI Stage 2 Clutch Kit

Stock fuel pump, stock injectors, stock intercoolers and plumbing (although this would be a definate improvement for this combination), stock airbox and Fram air filter... BMC hasn't come in yet, lol.

Hopefully that helps answer any questions.

Special thanks to Todd at Protomotive for putting in the time with me to get the calibration where we needed it to be... his knowledge of the Bosch Motronic DME is incredible.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments.

Back to work!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:58 AM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Bluecuda
mxk116: 5 point harnesses would be a pain in the buttocks if I needed them to participate in a PCA event. I guess I could install them for the event, then remove them afterwords, but that would really make me think twice before participating.
It's a confusing mandate but as I understand it you can drive your car with the OE lap belts and seats. Where the challenge begins is if you want to use 5 or 6 pt belts (4 pt are not allowed in most circumstances) you must have a seat that is FIA or SFI approved for their use. Since the OE seats are not FIA or SFI approved one must go to an after market seat (Recaro, Cobra, Sparco, etc) made for the use with a 5 pt or 6 pt harness. One must "upgrade" both driver and passenger side to comply.

So, as the harness mandate has been explained to me, you can participate in a PCA event and use your factory seats and 3 pt seat belt. Sorry if I made it sound otherwise.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Former Vendor
Scott... one other thing... the car has been driven on the street in AWD only. RWD was only used on the dyno for testing purposes and to keep from stressing the viscous.

Okay... I think I've remembered to answer everything.

Best to all!!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
tym i noticed that it sais protomotive/spi programming and calibration , what exactly do you do to the ecu after you receive it from todd ?

and how much boost were you running at that dyno on pump?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 AM
slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !
great numbers.... enjoy it....

Old 07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Former Vendor
unvmym3... It is no secret that Todd and I have a very open line of communication. We exchange data on a regular basis... I see no reason to invest the time or money to try to catch up to Todd's knowledge of the Motronic hardware... not that it would be even possible! He's been working with the Motronics hardware for 25 years... that is why I chose to work with him in the first place. Todd lets me build the custom calibrations that I want for each individual package or client build. Cookie-cutter tunes are fine if that's what you're looking for... but we typically don't get that clientel. I've been tuning on multi-valve turbocharged engines for many years now... I can apply what I've learned to my calibrations and have the confidence that what I'm requesting of the ecu is being delivered because Todd has the knowledge, eperience and tools to make it happen with the DME. It works well for us.

Hope that answers your question... I hope that I'm not reading you wrong, but you seem to have a very cynical edge to your posts.

Best regards,

Old 07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
Those are some nice #'s! Enjoy.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM
mannytt is infamous around these partsmannytt is infamous around these parts
great #'s

Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Nope , not cynical at all i just like to ask alot of questions .i agree , i dont think anyone can come close to todd's knowlegde on the motronic .question awsnered.

how much boost did you run on that dyno pull, and was it on pump?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Flyfisher is infamous around these parts
Bluecuda, looks like you will have a great setup. I'm sure you'll love it. My car hasn't spent anytime on the track, but the performance upgrades are a blast on the back roads and freeways. I would love to get some track time with the 996TT. I've done some limited track time with instructors at Mid Ohio and MIS using other cars. It would be a much different experience with the TT. I need to start investigating.

You will notice after awhile that the power gains seem to slip away. My car seemed so fast at first. I was driving it hard the other day, and it just didn't seem the same. I checked the boost to see if I was running a little off, but it was right up there where it was supposed to be. So the car was running as it had been--I was just getting used to it.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tym Switzer
Scott... one other thing... the car has been driven on the street in AWD only. RWD was only used on the dyno for testing purposes and to keep from stressing the viscous.
That makes sense, Tym. Thanks and congrats!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm sure I'll get used to the newly added power at some point, but that's when I start edging more towards Scott's setup

Making more power is the easy part!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I couldn't wait to share...