996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I couldn't wait to share...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Bluecuda is infamous around these parts
I couldn't wait to share...

A couple weeks ago I met a nice guy named Tym, and he loaded my car up in his trailer and took her off to do some upgrades. I told Tym I didn't care about going to the 1/4 mile strip, or making all the car alarms go off when I drove down the street. Most of my driving is on the highway to and from work, but I'm used to my '06 Z06, and wanted more mid range highway performance and a better breathing exhaust system, and no drone from the exhaust.

So, Tym upgraded my K16's to a hybrid K16 he came up with, put his exhaust on there with 200 cell cats, DV's, 5 bar fuel regulator and swapped out the air filter, and this is what I ended up with:

Tym also did some 60-130 runs to see what kind of numbers it would put up, and said it was 8 seconds flat with 1 shift, driven pretty conservatively. He said to expect high 7's, but he wasn't going to beat my car in order to get there. Tym is going to make a package based off this build, and since you guys like the names, he's calling it his SPI650HR. One thing that came up, which I expected, was that when we turned up the boost, the stock clutch started slipping, so that had to be upgraded. I haven't heard what boost we're actually running at now, but we're running the stock fuel system on 93 octane pump gas. Like I said, this is my daily sleeper , and I have no plans to run race gas or anything like that.

We're not quite done with the car yet, but it's too close not to post at this point!! I'm working on getting some window tint, replacing the stock turbo twist wheels (one of them is messed up from the previous owner), and waiting on the BMG filter to arrive to finish things up. I can't wait to get her out on the highway to see what we've achieved!!!! I had a picture of the exhaust being installed, but I can't find it here at work. Once I get the car back from Tym, I'll throw some pictures up for you guys, or Tym can do it if he trolls the forum and figures out who I am

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2008, 08:14 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
great upgrades and best selection for that car bang for the buck, enjoy!!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
That's what I'd expect from a K16 Hybrid Setup, although the torque seems a little down.

Good mods and not a huge amount of money spent I bet! You've got the best of both worlds, but not unlike myself, you're not at about your max performance level without upgrading the fuel system! still, it's a great package to "max out" with!

Mike

Old 07-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the kind words. You're both exactly right, I was looking for the best bang for the buck, a great sound, and didn't want to push the limits of the stock fuel system.

As for the torque, I really have no clue where to expect it to be. Since this is my first 996TT, first mods, ect... I really don't have enough background to know what to expect. I'll leave that up to the experts

Old 07-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Just found a picture of the progress at home, thought you might enjoy...

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Very good result! 580 awh is more than sufficient for daily use.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
By my math that's 612 at the crank! Very nice, and pretty much as good as it gets for K16 based turbos and stock fueling. Enjoy in good health!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:09 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Great Result:

580 RWHP on a dynojet is strong!

Recently that is what a Ford GT with a 2.75" pulley/tune/exhuast did on our local dynojet!!

MK

Old 07-16-2008, 02:40 PM
evoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to behold
Thats a wonderful curve for a daily! Bluecuda, enjoy that beast. I would love to see your ride on the strip maybe once just to get what the traps and mph would be in the qtr. I love this pick!

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2008, 07:01 PM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
Bluecuda; today I had the pleasure of going for a ride with Tym in your car. If I had been blind-folded and put in the car my first impression would have been that I was riding in a stock sport coupe (other than the tasty exhaust note). No drama, comfortable with the A/C on (it was 93 degrees and humid), talking in a conversational tone while tooling along in 6th gear at the 55 mph speed limit. Then the down shift to 3rd and the not quite WOT acceleration pressed me back into my seat (60-130 in ~ 8 seconds). My initial impression of the bone stock sport coupe morphed into one with a 7L normally aspirated crate engine! The power delivery was so instantaneous and linear that if I had not known better I would not have guessed I was riding in a car with forced induction. I wish more tuners would pay attention to this attribute. The best analogy I can provide is that your car does not feel like an "enhanced" TT but more like a GT3 on steroids. For me that is high praise.

Tym is working on one of my cars dedicated for road racing (not a Porsche) and we have been discussing the attributes of a FI package for technical tracks like Mid Ohio. The package Tym has developed for your car delivers the type of linear power I think is required to optimize performance at tracks like Mid Ohio. I can only hope my car will achieve similar results when it is done.

Enjoy!!

Last edited by mxk116; 07-17-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Wow, that's an awesome description mxk116. You described exactly what Tym and I were trying to achieve. I told Tym that I wanted to hit a PCA event at some point on a road course, but that 99% of my driving was on the road, in traffic, at highway speeds, and that I wanted a strong, smooth pull. Tym cracked me up in an email yesterday when he described it as the biggest sleeper he'd ever done, which really represents how I enjoy driving. I'm the quiet guy lurking in the other lane, that when pushed will stomp you into the road

Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Once you get the car back and have a chance to drive it a bit please post your impressions v. the C6 Z06.

Hopefully we will see you at the track, Mid Ohio, Nelson Ledges, Putnam Park?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:24 PM
I will definately have to drive both cars back to back, just to get and idea of the differences. That should be an interesting day.

I'd love to make it up to Mid Ohio sometime. I missed the spring event, though. I had a chance to get out to another event as well, but my kids had something going on that weekend and I couldn't make it either :/

Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 AM
NORPCA has an event at Mid Ohio on October 4 & 5 and the weather is usually excellent (http://www.norpca.org/).

The main issue with PCA events however is the 2008 harness standard. If you are using anything but OEM lap belts during a PCA HPDE the seat and belt system must be either FIA or SFI approved and they must be similar for both driver and passenger (instructor). This means the use of aftermarket seats and 5 point harnesses in most cases; an effort and expense many are not eager to take on.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bluecuda
Tym also did some 60-130 runs to see what kind of numbers it would put up, and said it was 8 seconds flat with 1 shift, driven pretty conservatively. He said to expect high 7's, but he wasn't going to beat my car in order to get there.

Congrats! Your car sounds like a beast and an awesome package!

Out of curiosity, was your car dynoed in RWD or AWD and which configuration was it ran on the street? I'm just trying to understand your 60-130 time.

Thanks and congratulations again.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-17-2008 at 12:32 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I couldn't wait to share...