996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A man has got to know his limitations...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:36 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by soothsayer
Respect to you guys who work on these cars on your own as they seem intimidating underneath. I recently took my car in to the dealership for an oil change....felt like a chump.
What's that saying- they're all pink inside?

Really, it's just parts, tools and specs. Nothing magical about Porsches. Just way more rewarding to see the engineering that has delivered these to us when compared to a Kia or Chevy.

Thanks for the post(s) Mike.

I once decided to weld up a crankshaft pulley wrench for my wifes MDX- just didn't want to spend $100 on a special tool, but mostly didn't want to wait. Got the ugly mess to fit by grinding it to fit, and slapped an extension pipe on the arm. Cranked on it and...BROKE THE SOCKET cast into the pulley since the wrench was not an acceptable fit (high spots caused stress)! Now even the right tool wouldn't work.

Really smart.

So yeah, stuff happens. Your posts will undoubtedly help others. Thanks

Adam

PS Wound up welding a bar directly onto the shattered pulley right on the engine to get it out. New pulley with harmonic crap in it was WAY more than the wrench, took a week to arrive too. Parts guy said "huh, never sold one of those"

Old 07-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
So I got the parts delivered yesterday, and this afternoon, actually at 1:30PM I installed the new slave, new hardline I jacked up, and accumulator. I got it all buttoned up in an hour and five minutes. Now it's sitting on the lift with everything done except for the fluid... Needs Pentonsin filled and the system bled... To damned hot today and my planter fasciitus (flat feet) is killing me, so I called it quits... I'll deal with the bleeding of the system later, maybe tomorrow...

Mike

Old 07-21-2008, 10:48 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
thank you for sharing this. Im sure it will save a few people a bunch of time and money . Those people should probably contribute a small contribution to a "learning fund" for future DIY procedures