996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What are the lightest wheels for the 996 TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 03:09 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
KPV, u car looks great..I was thinking of getting 9ff wheels. They are pretty light but after hearing about that horror story, I kinda changed my mind..

Old 09-05-2003, 03:33 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Alex,
Well?

Duane,
I agree, now I am not driving SUV Porsche anymore!! GT2 specs man!

Accomplice,
I love PES's wheels. They are gorgeous. You can run 11.5's in the rear without modifying the fenders. The GT2 runs 12's but I remember hearing the GT2 comes with rolled fenders from the factory. So, if you are willing to roll them, and have the proper offset/backspacing you can even go 12's.

03-turbo911,
Regarding the lightness issue. I fully concur that lighter is better for performance. I don't think anyone will debate that. After some thought, I am of the belief that since the car has enough acceleration to flatten your eyeballs, why risk wheel damage over a pothole for the sake of a few pounds or a tenth of a second. It is my humble opinion that, unless we are trying to get the best times at the dragstrip or engage in some other perfomance oriented motorsports activity (as some of us justifiably are), pick a wheel that makes you drool when you look at the car.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Banned
Accomplice is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by KPV

Regarding the lightness issue. I fully concur that lighter is better for performance. I don't think anyone will debate that. After some thought, I am of the belief that since the car has enough acceleration to flatten your eyeballs, why risk wheel damage over a pothole for the sake of a few pounds or a tenth of a second. It is my humble opinion that, unless we are trying to get the best times at the dragstrip or engage in some other perfomance oriented motorsports activity (as some of us justifiably are), pick a wheel that makes you drool when you look at the car.
KPV,

Another way to look at is to think of the performance gain brought by light wheels with a lower unsprung weight albeit with more risk of potential pothole damage vs. trying to squeeze more boost/ power from the engine with the risks to engine life/ wear & tear associated with running at that higher state of engine tune. In the scheme of things possibly having to replace a damaged wheel every once in a while might ultimately be the lesser of the two risks. I agree that if the look of the wheel doesn't make you drool its not worth the weight savings for most people.

Kevin

Old 09-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Banned
Originally posted by Hamann7

Another light but somewhat ugly wheel is the RAYS/Volk Racing TE-37.
That wheel is supposed to be one of the lightest in the world. I actually don't mind its look in general (prefer the PES' looks though) but I have no idea how it would look on a 996TT. One problem seems to be that the bronze color (yuck) is common in this wheel and the silver versions takes 3 months to get. Are the Volks available in a fitment for a 996 TT? If so, I would give them seious consideration as the weight savings could be upwards of 10 lbs. per corner. According to some, that would be like taking 280 lbs. of sprung weight off of the car. Does anybody have a pic of the TE-37s on a 996?

Kevin

Old 09-05-2003, 04:05 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Kevin,
Oops! I forgot to mention the unsprung weight issue too. Thanks!

Old 09-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Banned
I did some poking around on the net and it looks like the Volk Racing TE37's widest size available is 10.5". Also, only one model of Volks appears to come in 11 inches or wider and its a heavier 3 pc. model. Strangely that one model can be had in widths up to 13"s.

Kevin

Old 07-02-2004, 08:48 AM
Banned
Node is infamous around these partsNode is infamous around these parts
http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/cgi-bin/...cgi?maker=VOLK
They make a TE37 specifically for Porsches

Old 07-02-2004, 08:50 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Fikse

Old 07-02-2004, 08:52 AM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
TE-37, light, cheap, effective. Here's a pic on my neighbor's C4S:

Old 07-02-2004, 08:58 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
BBS 1-piece magnesium or Work Brombacher Mag

Old 07-02-2004, 09:11 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Hamann7
BBS 1-piece magnesium or Work Brombacher Mag
Tyson,

I didn't know the above made one piece wheels in anything other than the skinny stock sizes?

Old 07-02-2004, 09:22 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Cary runs 1 piece BBS magnesium on the street. There is your benchmark. I ma considering 18" magnesium with track tires for the track.

Old 07-02-2004, 09:25 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Fikse are IMHO the best combo street/track wheels out there. They are super light but still very strong and well made.

If i had two sets of wheels it would probably be some 19" HRE's or the PES wheels for the street and the BBS 1-piece mags for the track.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:00 AM
cjv
Originally posted by ColorChange
Cary runs 1 piece BBS magnesium on the street. There is your benchmark. I ma considering 18" magnesium with track tires for the track.
ColorChange,

I have seen the one piece BBS magnesiun for front 996tt wheels at 8.0 or 8.5" width. Now tell me they make them in 9.5 or 10.0 inch that will accomodate the GT3RS Le Mans Calipers and you will get my attention.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:04 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Originally posted by cjv
ColorChange,

I have seen the one piece BBS magnesiun for front 996tt wheels at 8.0 or 8.5" width. Now tell me they make them in 9.5 or 10.0 inch that will accomodate the GT3RS Le Mans Calipers and you will get my attention.
Chad, I'm pretty sure Cary is the man you need to be talking to.

-Steve

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the lightest wheels for the 996 TT?