996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What are the lightest wheels for the 996 TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 06:27 PM
Banned
Accomplice is infamous around these parts
What are the lightest wheels for the 996 TT?

Have you guys looked into wheel weights much? I guess most people get what looks best to them. If I take the 996 TT plunge I'm hoping to find a good looking wheel that is very light. Are you guys upgrading to 19's or staying with 18's when you add after market wheels? Any ideas on light options?

Kevin

Old 09-04-2003, 07:18 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Get a set of doughnut spares Actually in all seriousness stay with 18s. Either Fikse or Kinesis are supposedly the lightest around. My three piece K58s aren't much over 20 pounds in the rear.

Old 09-04-2003, 07:19 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Kevin,

Probably magnesium BBS wheels. The Fikse wheels are also one of the lighter wheels out there.

Old 09-04-2003, 08:13 PM
N3O
N3O is infamous around these parts
SSR ?

Old 09-04-2003, 09:13 PM
Banned
I've got super light 18" SSR Competitions on my GS400. I wish they made them in a fitment for the 996 TT. The ones on my GS are only something like 12 (?) Lbs. each. You can really tell a difference when you strap them on. I'm looking for something in a 996 TT width that would possibly come in under 15 lbs.

Kevin

Old 09-04-2003, 09:41 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I know Ken has the SSR GT3s but those are different to SSR competitions. I know the ones you mean. A friend of mine has them on his M3.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
I believe there was a post a few weeks ago about the SSRs. I believe it was Jack from LA who said the SSR's in 18 are heavier than the stock hollows.

Another light wheel are Work wheels from Japan. Hamman7 has them on his turbo and they are pretty light.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Yes, Chris is correct, the Work Brombacher wheel is very light... probably lighter than the hollow spoke. They also have a magnesium version which is even lighter, but I wouldn't recommend this for the street. I am very happy with Work Wheels, very high quality and strong. I have them on my Porsche and the BMW.

Another light but somewhat ugly wheel is the RAYS/Volk Racing TE-37.

I thought about getting Fikse, but I just can't stand their center designs.

Also interesting to note... Wilber is launching a new line of wheels coming soon and they are looking GOOD!!!

At most as light or lighter than Fikse, better looking, and available in 1-piece/3-piece forged for Porsche. The design is a 7 split-spoke design, similar to HRE 841R but with its own style. Also, he can build them in custom offset and widths, and it will be substantially cheaper than HRE or Fikse. He is also manufacturing a set of 22" wheels for Cayenne. Should be awesome!!! Stay tuned or email him.

Hey Chris, when are you back in the States?

Old 09-05-2003, 08:55 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
I would tend to think in general a one piece wheel will be lighter than a three piece wheel since all of the bolting hardware is eliminated. I realize that some wheels use titanium bolts but they are still all the way out at the perimeter where it has the worst effect. I believe Alex was referring to me when he was talking about the SSR's. I have the GT3's and was not concerned about the weight when I purchased them. I don't know what they weigh. They are very well made and I purchased them from www.wheelenhancement.com.
Here are a few pictures:

Old 09-05-2003, 09:16 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
the 19's that PES posted were 17 lbs for the front and 21 lbs for the rear

unbelievable for 19's!

Old 09-05-2003, 10:24 AM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Hamann7, got any pics of those wheels on both your cars?

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 09-05-2003, 10:37 AM
Damn Ken, your car is sexy.. All it needs is a TA front hint hint

Old 09-05-2003, 11:28 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Alex,
OK, I'll bite, where do I get one and how much?

Old 09-05-2003, 12:27 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
Man Ken your car looks awesome!! What a difference the lowering made!!!

Old 09-05-2003, 02:55 PM
Banned
Originally posted by Soon2be993tt
the 19's that PES posted were 17 lbs for the front and 21 lbs for the rear

unbelievable for 19's!
I just wish they came a bit wider in the rear at least. BTW, how wide can you go on 996 TTs without moding the fenders? Also, I kept forgetting that traction isn't as big an issue with the AWD. So I guess if all goes well I really will consider those PES wheels since they look so nice and are so light. But then again it just looks so cool to have super wide rear wheels.

Kevin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the lightest wheels for the 996 TT?