996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
I think most people in here burn through rubber fairly quickly. I know I do, but for informational purposes. What is the longest that you should keep a set of tires on age wise. I have heard that rubber hardens fairly fast, 3 years or so. Is this true and should tires be replaced within a certain time frame regardless of wear?
Owner's manual says 6 years.

I see the Sumi's are getting a full page spread in R&T and C&D this month in the Tire Rack ad. I think I will try these next as well.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:20 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I just ran the sumi's at sebring this weekend. Not the greatest tire ever, but definitely competent. I was very pleased, especially for the price. They howled a bit on the track, but the adhesion and feedback was great.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:48 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I like talking street tires.

Jeff

Old 07-03-2009, 09:52 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I just ran the sumi's at sebring this weekend. Not the greatest tire ever, but definitely competent. I was very pleased, especially for the price. They howled a bit on the track, but the adhesion and feedback was great.
Unfortunately they don't make a 315.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:46 AM
hobo is infamous around these parts
very interested in your review, grip, noise, ride, etc... in particular wet weather handling. tried the original thread 'v' design (which was supposed to be good in the wet...) --> terrible. switched to the newer PS2's with the large groves, excellent grip in the wet, however, as they wear out, the fall from peak grip in the wet is rather quick. been driving it (911 GT2) since 2002, and after 70,000 miles, very interested in your review. thanks.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:59 AM
should have read the thread before posting the previous message.... thanks for the info.... i will consider these summi's at 6K and with lots of life left in them... cannot beat that. it would be nice if you could post some pictures of the wear pattern at say... 50% wear.... thanks.

p.s. thanks to other posters for their input as well.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
A lot of comment on sizes here-- before believing that one manufacturers 315 is wider than anothers 295 or 305 you need to see an actual measurement taken across the footprint.
There is considerable variation on this measurement.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:19 AM
good point.... this could also alter the entire geometry of the suspension, particularly if the height from rim to top of tire varies.

after the first two sets of rears gone... i went to the dealeship to see if we could alter the 2 degree neg camber.... they tried it and messed up
the rest of the alignment... so... it's either soft pedal.... or expensive replacement rear tires every 7,000 - 8,000 miles -ng

Last edited by hobo; 07-05-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:10 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Had the Sumitomo HTR Z III installed the other day. What a steal. For daily driving they are as good as anything. I am going out to Gingerman on the 29th or 30th to see how they hold up. I don't expect anything like the Yoko's I am coming from but I bet they are just fine for 5-10 track days a year. If I start to track more often then I am buying dedicated track tires.

These tires are such a deal that I purchased the Orange Electronics Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Spectacular product for tire pressure and tire temp. Deadly accurate. Downside is that it is my understanding that they only fit early 2001 non hollow stock Turbo Twist wheels. The other problem is that the cigarette lighter power adapter is a pile of crap, but I am hardwiriing the thing anyway. I think I am just going to remove the ashtray and mount it in opening.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:39 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Just got Sumis installed today too. They are awesome compaired to my old PZeros.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:34 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
So glad to see reviews are still this good. I have sold many many sets to P-car owners now with not one return for out of round, excessive runout, or noise.

Looks like a home run tire!

Keep em coming.....

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 07-17-2009, 02:07 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I order my sumis from Tire Rack on 7/15/09 and they were delivered on 7/16/09. Now that was fast!!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:16 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by function12
I order my sumis from Tire Rack on 7/15/09 and they were delivered on 7/16/09. Now that was fast!!
I had the same experience...

Here are some pics of the Orange Electronics TPMS. Pics are bad, but hopefully you can tell that they are very good quality. Tires are the Sumi's.

Anyone in Chicago area looking to hardwire the display PM me.

Last edited by fdorn; 07-18-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:06 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by fdorn
Had the Sumitomo HTR Z III installed the other day. What a steal. For daily driving they are as good as anything. I am going out to Gingerman on the 29th or 30th to see how they hold up. I don't expect anything like the Yoko's I am coming from but I bet they are just fine for 5-10 track days a year. If I start to track more often then I am buying dedicated track tires.

These tires are such a deal that I purchased the Orange Electronics Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Spectacular product for tire pressure and tire temp. Deadly accurate. Downside is that it is my understanding that they only fit early 2001 non hollow stock Turbo Twist wheels. The other problem is that the cigarette lighter power adapter is a pile of crap, but I am hardwiriing the thing anyway. I think I am just going to remove the ashtray and mount it in opening.
I was at gingerman on 29th , smoked my conti sport tires. Time to buy the sumitomo's after all the great feedback. I would like to see your orange display sometime..

Old 07-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by vbmw335
I was at gingerman yesterday
I am headed there next thursday if you are interested.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)