996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:33 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
[quote=vbmw335;2482921]These tires are such a deal that I purchased the Orange Electronics Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Spectacular product for tire pressure and tire temp. Deadly accurate. Downside is that it is my understanding that they only fit early 2001 non hollow stock Turbo Twist wheels. The other problem is that the cigarette lighter power adapter is a pile of crap, but I am hardwiriing the thing anyway. I think I am just going to remove the ashtray and mount it in opening.[quote]

BTW, I think they got the TPMS fitment from Orange.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/2468680-post39.html

Did not see anyone post if they worked or not.

Wound up hard wiring it myself and putting it where the ashtray was. It's a DIY for sure. Simple. Not perfect, but good enough.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 PM
doktordyper is infamous around these parts
I've got about 1k miles on Sumi's, purchased as a result of this thread. After mold release slicky stuff wore off, I'm more than happy for a street tire. I was coming off Pirellis, which came w/ car. Also did 15mm/7mm H&R spacers, all purchased from Jason @ TR. 02' 996tt

Old 07-31-2009, 01:30 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hobo
should have read the thread before posting the previous message.... thanks for the info.... i will consider these summi's at 6K and with lots of life left in them... cannot beat that. it would be nice if you could post some pictures of the wear pattern at say... 50% wear.... thanks.

p.s. thanks to other posters for their input as well.

The wear pattern has as much to do with suspension if not more than tire....my guys did a corner balance and set the rears up to "enhance" tire life...so at 9k miles on the tires I have 60-70% tread left in spiritted street only (no DE). I find that amazing and hard to believe after many sets of Pirelli and Conti's....

Just fyi. I'll have to dig up the alignment sheet. Car drives great btw and is at GT2 height on JIC 8/12 kg units.....

JB

Old 07-31-2009, 02:28 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by fdorn
I am headed there next thursday if you are interested.
I would love to go back , but on my way back from gingerman my stock clutch started to slip in 6th and 5 th gear...Time to invest in an Stage 3 clutch to handle 650 hp.

Myself and a couple of other Porsche owners will go back in a few weeks , i will keep you posted.

Its fun there and very safe..btw...i ordered the tires today. Cant wait to put them on next week.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:38 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Went out to Gingerman last night on the Sumi's. I am a novice at best, but here is what I did and here is my impression of the tires.

To date, all of my track experience has been on Yokohama's. The Yoko's are in a different league - and I think everyone knows that. If you expect these behave like Yokohama's (which I never did) you will be disappointed.

On the street:
You can't beat these tires - especially for the money. They are quite and have plenty of grip in the dry/wet and hot/cold.

At the track:
Cold tire pressure was set at 36f,44r when I got there. I ran the car for 15-20 minutes to heat them up. The front’s were 44 and the rears 52 (I did this intentionally to calc how much pressure to drop). So, I adjusted the tire pressure to 36f,44r when they were hot. It is pretty safe to say that on the track you need to adjust them down about 8 psi per tire (28f, 36r). We ran 6 or 7 20 minute sessions. The last 4 were run aggressively. Little to no drama from the tires and actually I was a little surprised and somewhat impressed. For a car that spends most of the time on the street and does 2 or 3 track events you can't beat these - especially for the money.

Problem:
The very last session, I had a PCA instructor drive with me as the passanger in my car to give some tips. He did about 15 minutes and then I immediately jumped behind the wheel and did another 15 minutes. We had to stop because the tires temp alarm went off. The tires heated up to 186-190 degrees (I have no reference to what they should be and would appreciate any benchmark someone could offer). The adhesive on the balancing weights on both rears came undone. The fronts are still on but an ant could have pushed them off they were so lose. Toward the end, traction was fading noticeably.

Personally, if you are really serious about tracking your car - get a dedicated set of track tires and use these on the street. You will grow out of these tires on the track after 10-15 times. I really can no longer justify spending big money on 'better' street tires. After I get a little more seat time at the track (next year or the year after), I am buying tires specific for the track.

Orange Electric Tire Pressure Monitor System is DA BOMB

Old 08-07-2009, 08:57 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Great track use report! I finally got the sumi's mounted on my rears this week. I plan to only do two DE's a year so mostly street tires...

I have my car torn down to put coils on, so have no experience with the sumi's on the rear yet. I will report back my $0.02 when I get it on the road next week.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:10 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raineycd
Great track use report! I finally got the sumi's mounted on my rears this week. I plan to only do two DE's a year so mostly street tires...

I have my car torn down to put coils on, so have no experience with the sumi's on the rear yet. I will report back my $0.02 when I get it on the road next week.
Put a 100 or so miles on the Sumis now. Definitely quieter! Traction seems similar to the P-Zero so far. Have a DE in October I can't wait to try them at!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Put a 100 or so miles on the Sumis now. Definitely quieter! Traction seems similar to the P-Zero so far. Have a DE in October I can't wait to try them at!
So, went back to Gingerman last night. Tires seemed to be much better this time now that they have so wear in them. I had maybe 1000 miles and 1 day at the track this time compared to the 1st time when they were brand new. Great daily driver tire for the money. Quite, plenty of grip rain or shine. Went with Blizzak's for the winter.

raineycd - would love to hear your comments after your DE in Oct.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 AM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
Got about 2k miles on my sumi's over the summer. No complaints rain or shine.
They performed admirably at my first autocross, damp conditions. Plenty of grip. Issue not tires. Its the driver that needs work .

Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by BlueFVD-575
Issue not tires. Its the driver that needs work .
In my case, truer words could not be spoken....

Old 10-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by fdorn
In my case, truer words could not be spoken....
Put my winter tires on and just wanted to post pics of what the Sumitomos look like after about 4k miles and 4 track days.

Left front and left rear have some rather large chuncks taken out of them. The right side looks fine. A buddy of mine that has a 997 GT3 and tracks at Gingerman a lot was complaining about exactly the same thing on MPSC, so I dont think it is the tire so much. Other than that, they hardly look warn at all. I think these tires are perfect for the street but I am leaning towards different tires for the track - especially since I plan on going more next year than this year.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Man that looks like an issue... Have you contacted Sumitumo? I'd send those pics to them... That's a concern in my mind.

My Michelin PS RIBS have spent a number of days filling in the gaps for corded tire issues with MPSCs and they're still holding up strong with over 10K miles on them.

Mike

Old 10-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I have only PM'd Damon to ask if it is normal. I'll keep you posted.
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Man that looks like an issue... Have you contacted Sumitumo? I'd send those pics to them... That's a concern in my mind.

My Michelin PS RIBS have spent a number of days filling in the gaps for corded tire issues with MPSCs and they're still holding up strong with over 10K miles on them.

Mike

Old 10-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Just did a DE at Putnam Park near Indy. I think the tires did great! They were consistent and gripped well. I drove through some rain on the way up and they performed well there to!

I didn't have any chunking issues like fdorn, but am interested to see what he finds out.

I will probably stick with these until I get enough track experience to upgrade to a track tire...

Old 10-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Looks like you had a blast. Enjoyed the pics on the other thread.

I ran those tires 3 or 4 times at Gingerman. I overheated the tires every time (temps reached 210+ degrees). The tires gave up at those temps. I am fairly confident that the overheating caused the 'chunking'. Don't get me wrong, they are great street tire, but I am not using them at the track next year. For me, the Yokohama's where far more confidence inspiring.

At a minimum I am going back to the Yokohama's AD08 and possible the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.

Just did a DE at Putnam Park near Indy. I think the tires did great! They were consistent and gripped well. I drove through some rain on the way up and they performed well there to!

I didn't have any chunking issues like fdorn, but am interested to see what he finds out.

I will probably stick with these until I get enough track experience to upgrade to a track tire...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)