996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:08 PM
benaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to all
Not so sure...

I'm at about 800 miles or so on my new Sumi's on my '02 996TT, and I have to say that I am not a fan. Normal daily driving on flat streets, sure, great. They probably have a bit less road noise and maybe a little smoother than the Mich Pilot Sports, but I do tend to drive a little harder than average and I drive a very windy hwy (hwy 17 in CA Bay Area) every day and enjoy pushing it and the car loves it. I treat that hwy like a track.

The Michelins had great feedback, great control, you could feel when the tires were about to give and if you slid a little you could control it no prob.

The Sumis hold very well, but they feel like **** in the turn, feel like they are always about to give and feel like when they do, you'll be in the wall. I have no confidence in them, I feel like they are rolling over when I turn hard. Maybe they'll never give, but instead of enjoying sitting in the driver's seat on a hard turn, I now feel the desire to jump out of the passenger side window, and that is not the feeling I look for out of my car.

Maybe I need to calm down on the street, but then again, why would anyone have this car and drive it calmly?

Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I'll be paying attention to this thread... My big question is NOISE... How Noisy are these tires? I went with the Michilen PS RIB because of the noise and have been extremely happy. The only issue is cost... But if the Sumitomo is quiet, then I'll give them a shot next time around...

Mike

I have them (came on the car when I bought it) grip ok, very loud, can't wait to switch to Michilen PS2

Old 11-09-2009, 02:21 PM
benaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to all
I can't really compare noise level to the PS2, since I had the stock Pilot Sports. I feel that the Sumi is quieter than the stock PS.

Can anyone comment on the difference in noise level between the stock PS and the PS2?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by benaslan
I'm at about 800 miles or so on my new Sumi's on my '02 996TT, and I have to say that I am not a fan. Normal daily driving on flat streets, sure, great. They probably have a bit less road noise and maybe a little smoother than the Mich Pilot Sports, but I do tend to drive a little harder than average and I drive a very windy hwy (hwy 17 in CA Bay Area) every day and enjoy pushing it and the car loves it. I treat that hwy like a track.

The Michelins had great feedback, great control, you could feel when the tires were about to give and if you slid a little you could control it no prob.

The Sumis hold very well, but they feel like **** in the turn, feel like they are always about to give and feel like when they do, you'll be in the wall. I have no confidence in them, I feel like they are rolling over when I turn hard. Maybe they'll never give, but instead of enjoying sitting in the driver's seat on a hard turn, I now feel the desire to jump out of the passenger side window, and that is not the feeling I look for out of my car.

Maybe I need to calm down on the street, but then again, why would anyone have this car and drive it calmly?
Dude, how you can even compare them? The sumi's are probably have the price of the Michelins. Not sure if you had the sport cups or the PS2's, but either way.....

It's a great tire for the money. If you're going to drive like a maniac on the street you should look into some hoosiers

Old 11-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
I have them (came on the car when I bought it) grip ok, very loud, can't wait to switch to Michilen PS2

I had PS2's and I will never go back to them.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
"The Sumis hold very well, but they feel like **** in the turn, feel like they are always about to give and feel like when they do, you'll be in the wall."

I have to agree with this. They just don't inspire much confidence. They grip, they just don't fell like they are gripping and I save the hard driving for the track. They also can't take too much heat. Huge chunks missing after 4 track days.

I'm going back to Yokohama's next spring. They just make me feel like I am glued to the track/road.

Originally Posted by benaslan

Old 01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
I just ordered a Set of the Sumitomos. That was a really difficult decision vs the Yokohamas!

Hope I like them!

Old 01-22-2010, 05:08 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I must admit, I have much less tread now than when new, but in 90 degree temps (really) in December down here (just a few weeks before 30 degree temps), they did fine and I had NO chunking at a DE event.

I did manage temps and pressures very carefully....32f/35r to start and let it get up to 38/41...just fyi.

No, not a full on track tire, but "enough" of a tire and for the price amazing. I don't want people to expect these to be the be-all tire for any 996TT experience. But for 500 or so, they are in a class by themselves. For 1200, there are other options...the new pirelli tires seem interesting to be honest, and the kumho xs type tire/yoko's...but most of the time I am not driving over 80 mph. In the twisties when in Central PA, I was happy with them too.

What Michelin needs is a PS3 that is R sticky and durable....and affordable.

Jeff

Old 01-22-2010, 05:21 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
It's time for me to replace tires soon also - my Pilot Sports on front look good, but the rears are worn on the inside. Just replacing the two rears w/PS2s = $850 + balancing/install. I can do all 4 with the Sumis for $250 less than just the rears - kind a makes it a no-brainer for a street poser like me.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:11 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by leftlane
It's time for me to replace tires soon also - my Pilot Sports on front look good, but the rears are worn on the inside. Just replacing the two rears w/PS2s = $850 + balancing/install. I can do all 4 with the Sumis for $250 less than just the rears - kind a makes it a no-brainer for a street poser like me.
That was my dilemma... Replace just the front Pirellis with equally crappy Pirellis, or do all 4 tires for MUCH less.

It was a really tough decision- I'm usually a tire snob, Bridgestones are my favorite- but with no RE11 in stock size...

Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Blue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the rough
I had the OEM Bridgestone Potenza S-02A in the front and rears. Rears were shot, fronts are still OK. Did the same math and found I could get four new tires cheaper than 2 Potenza rears. I mostly DD with some DE events. Curious to see the difference as most people have compared vs. the PS2s. I have liked the Potenzas, but have had nothing to compare them to. Will post results after a few thousand miles.

--BM

Old 04-10-2010, 12:09 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
anybody try the Kumho Ecsta SPT for a budget tire?

They are 1/2 the price of conti/pzero and perform ~88% (not 85, not 90!)

the confidence is there, but they lack the ultimate amount of grip - yet have a smooth and progressive attitude as they lose traction.

They're also WAY quieter than contis/pirellis.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:59 PM
After quite a number of miles on my Sumitomos, I do like them better than I originally did and if you're looking for a cheap tire, this is a good way to go. No comparison whatsoever to the Pilot Sport, but good for a cheap tire that performs well. You sacrifice the feel GREATLY, but it sticks very well and wet performance is quite impressive and I think I like the wet performance better than the Pilot Sports, as the Pilot Sports hop in wet acceleration and these just slip a little instead, which feels better. Next time I will go back to the Pilot Sports... but I may just switch back when summer comes regardless.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I have been on the Nitto INVO's for about 6 months now and I do like them better than the PS2's. They grip better both laterally and in a straight line. I was able to spin the tires in 3rd gear with the PS2's, and I can't do it with the INVO's. Also, I can hit the turns harder with the invos and they have better grip. But they bounce more, partially because they are taller tires, so I need to stiffen the suspension more. Oh and I paid 800-900 out the door.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
REBor8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Prche951
I have been on the Nitto INVO's for about 6 months now and I do like them better than the PS2's. They grip better both laterally and in a straight line. I was able to spin the tires in 3rd gear with the PS2's, and I can't do it with the INVO's. Also, I can hit the turns harder with the invos and they have better grip. But they bounce more, partially because they are taller tires, so I need to stiffen the suspension more. Oh and I paid 800-900 out the door.
Please expain "bounce more". How quiet are they, say in comparison to the PS2's?
I have RE-050A's on one set of wheels and PS2's on another. I just put the PS2's on over the weekend and the drumming noise over freeway expansion joints is much louder and more bothersome than the Bridgestones. I'm interested in the INVO's or RE-11's as a replacement on my 19" dia. Carrera Sports for the street only, no track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)