996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Tires going on on 8/1. TT_Tommy: Please post as your experience(s) them in break in, etc. Balancing went well/not well. Etc. I road force balance all tires on a Hunter unit...just my standard thing to ask for.

I do a DE at Summit Point with RTR (all classes are open still, see www.motorsportreg.com....) 8/21/ and 22 (thurs/friday fyi). And then I'll report back.

JB

Old 07-22-2008, 12:48 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Had to bite. $638 for four tires shipped to me. From our sponsor TR.

Four tires. 225/40/18 in front and 295/30/18 in rear....

Sumitomo HTR Z III.

On rennlist, John D (site admin) reviewed them on his 993...and felt they were good. He is an instructor.... No, not an R compound tire, but they tested above Bridgestone, Yoko, and Conti SC 3's.... (on a BMW platform).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...irePageLocQty=

Report to follow. I just could not justify over double for PS2's....
Great price. I paid over $900 for two rear tires at TR.

Last edited by robertp; 07-22-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by boca996tt
what about yokohoma advans heard they are good
Excelent tires. I have a set on my minivan.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:02 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I'll be paying attention to this thread... My big question is NOISE... How Noisy are these tires? I went with the Michilen PS RIB because of the noise and have been extremely happy. The only issue is cost... But if the Sumitomo is quiet, then I'll give them a shot next time around...

Mike
Being an asymetric rib design and not directional (Like the PS2, RE050A PP, Advan Sport) noise issues so far have not been an issue. So far so good......

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 07-22-2008, 01:09 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Check this link out from Rennlist. Lots of good feedback from it:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=402419

Or use this link:
Old 07-22-2008, 05:02 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by boca996tt
what about yokohoma advans heard they are good
There are many different Advans, so it depends on which you're asking about...

Advan Sports, are "Max Performance Summer" tires comparable to RE050As, PS2s, HTR ZIIIs, etc... but not quite as good as PS2s or HTR ZIIIs.

The Advan Neova AD07s, are amazing. They are in a class with other "Extreme Performance" tires like the Bridgestone RE01Rs, and Falken RT-615 Azenis. This is the last word in grip, feedback, and overall track drivability, before going to DOT R-compound tires. (AD07s are my choice for a tire that sees significant track and street use - including rain.)

Advan A048s are DOT R-comps, similar to PSCups. Designed for mixed road/track use, and can handle a few more heat cycles than a more track biased R-Comp. (Standard tire with Elise Sport Suspension.) R-Comps come in many grades, however, so there are others that are stickier, others that favor different surface conditions, etc...

Old 07-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
JCB,

Looking forward to your review. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:32 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by itacud
The Advan Neova AD07s, are amazing. They are in a class with other "Extreme Performance" tires like the Bridgestone RE01Rs, and Falken RT-615 Azenis. This is the last word in grip, feedback, and overall track drivability, before going to DOT R-compound tires. (AD07s are my choice for a tire that sees significant track and street use - including rain.)
Problem is they are ~$350 more than the Sumi's. Are they $350 better, quite possibly, but not for someone who's only looking to do a couple DE's a year.

Advan A048s are DOT R-comps, similar to PSCups. Designed for mixed road/track use, and can handle a few more heat cycles than a more track biased R-Comp. (Standard tire with Elise Sport Suspension.) R-Comps come in many grades, however, so there are others that are stickier, others that favor different surface conditions, etc...
The A048's are great for like 2 DE's. After that they become rock hard. Albeit they do last extremely long for an R-Comp tire. I think i've heard of Turbo owners getting 10+k miles out of them with more than a couple DE's.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
BTW: Definitely looking forward to the update and comparo next to PS2's!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
I have had these on the rears for a couple of months and have not noticed any kind of noteworthy or irritating noise. Fairly quiet, actually. Can't wait to buy some for the front.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:33 AM
4G64T is infamous around these parts
There are many different Advans, so it depends on which you're asking about...

Advan Sports, are "Max Performance Summer" tires comparable to RE050As, PS2s, HTR ZIIIs, etc... but not quite as good as PS2s or HTR ZIIIs.

I have the Neova AD07's on my 996TT and two other cars. They are an excellent handling Tires for the street and track. The main disadvantage is the price - approx $1100 for all corners and Tire wear is lousy. May look at the Sumis next time.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 AM
For ultimate dry performance, especially at track temps. the Yokohama are probably better tires. But for the price difference the HTR Z III comes real close in performance.

Or use this link:
Old 07-23-2008, 11:14 AM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
I switched between RE050As, Advan Sports, Advan Neovas and PS2s in sucession.... When driving a car at the limit, there's no comparison between the Neovas and the other 3... =) But, that's why Tire Rack puts the Neovas in the newer "Extreme Performance" class, above the others' older "Max Performance" rating.

RE01Rs are also very grippy, and cheaper. If RE01Rs came in a 295 rear, I'd consider them again, on price - though the Neova's are easier to drive at the limit. I think I'll try RT-615 Azenis' next, on track. They are supposedly terrible in the wet, and are more temperature sensitive, but they are much cheaper than Neovas. The last test I saw had the Azenis' slightly faster around a track, than Neovas. If I don't like them... they'll be finished in a few months anyway. =)

If the new Dunlop Dirreza Extreme Perf tires were made any wider than 275, those would be high on my list, after the latest Tire Rack comparison!

Neovas in their catagory, are a bit like PS2s in theirs... very good, but very expensive! I think the Azenis' and the Dirrezza's are the bargains of their catagory, and the HTR ZIII's the bargain of theirs. It just so happens that the Azenis' and Dirrezza's are also the very best performers in their catagory. Too bad that I can use neither as a dual purpose tire, due to either sizing or hydrophobia.

The HTR ZIIIs get great reviews as a Max Performance Summer tire... and at their price, one can't not try them at least once! =)

Old 07-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Group buy?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
This thread is not about what is the "BEST" tire..it is about something I don't have to worry about in terms of costs....I can get 4 of these for a "normal" price....something unheard of on a 911tt.....just my point of view.

Just having fun with numbers. I like having more money in my wallet. I am glad TR did the test, or I would not be so inclined to try them.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 07-23-2008 at 12:18 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)