996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Jeff, Here's what I see happening, because it's obvious to most of us that you're hooked!!!

You're going to get to a point where a truck and car trailer will be required, because you will progress beyond what a regular street radial tire can do... You'll end up with a second set of wheels and tires and you'll be swapping stuff out!

It's gonna happen, mark my words!

Mike

Old 07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Jeff, Here's what I see happening, because it's obvious to most of us that you're hooked!!!

You're going to get to a point where a truck and car trailer will be required, because you will progress beyond what a regular street radial tire can do... You'll end up with a second set of wheels and tires and you'll be swapping stuff out!

It's gonna happen, mark my words!

Mike
You are correct....darn.... I have a 1993 Range Rover for snow/ice...gets 12mpg to 15mpg without trailer...so a trip to VIR just got much more expensive... Ebay special (truck was 3k a year ago...probably giving them away for free now...).

Old 07-23-2008, 02:34 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Just for the record, I asked Damon to check tire weights and he had some tires pulled for me for this thread to check random weights:

225/40R18~ MI PILOT SP PS2 XL 238.00 22#
295/30R18 MI PILOT SP PS2 N2 398.00 26#
295/30R18 SU HTR Z 3 185.00 30#
225/40R18 SU HTR Z 3 XL 106.00 24#

Thanks to Damon!!!

(check this against their specs....see earlier posts)

Note prices....

Cannot weight (ha ha) to get them on the car!

I'll be on R compounds soon enough...probably VIR for Zone 2. I hope Tom will be instructing with his Vortex truck up again. That event was superb.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:53 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
I'm sorry, I diddn't mean to help steer the topic off of Sumitomos! I like the new Sumi's a lot too! =) People started asking about other tires, and there are just so many fun tires to try...

One last digression: If you're thinking of moving to R-comps in the future, something Neova-like is excellent to try on track at least once before hand. It has a lot more grip than normal summer tires, but doesn't give up as abruptly or as silently as most R-comps. It's still much more quiet, however, than normal Max Perf Summer tires. I'm not referring to road noise, rather the squeal-vs-slipangle noise. -- the communication of when they're about to let go. Most street tires change from a high pitched squeal to a deep growl as they approach their load and/or slip-angle limit. Neovas require more sensitivity through the steering wheel, to feel for the drop in aligning torque before they let go. Jumping directly from Sumi's to R-Comps is a much bigger change. Neova's are like "training R-comps"! (Similar performing Azenis RT-615's are almost as inexpensive as HTR-ZIIIs, by the way, though they are temperature and moisture sensitive.)

Ok, I'll stop mentioning other tires! =)

Old 07-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Screw R-Comps... My next tire will be going back to a full racing slick. I'm done with Rcomps!

These Sumitomos sound really good, and at this price, I could buy TWO sets of street tires for the cost of one set of my PS Ribs!

Mike

Old 07-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by itacud
I'm sorry, I diddn't mean to help steer the topic off of Sumitomos! I like the new Sumi's a lot too! =) People started asking about other tires, and there are just so many fun tires to try...

One last digression: If you're thinking of moving to R-comps in the future, something Neova-like is excellent to try on track at least once before hand. It has a lot more grip than normal summer tires, but doesn't give up as abruptly or as silently as most R-comps. It's still much more quiet, however, than normal Max Perf Summer tires. I'm not referring to road noise, rather the squeal-vs-slipangle noise. -- the communication of when they're about to let go. Most street tires change from a high pitched squeal to a deep growl as they approach their load and/or slip-angle limit. Neovas require more sensitivity through the steering wheel, to feel for the drop in aligning torque before they let go. Jumping directly from Sumi's to R-Comps is a much bigger change. Neova's are like "training R-comps"! (Similar performing Azenis RT-615's are almost as inexpensive as HTR-ZIIIs, by the way, though they are temperature and moisture sensitive.)

Ok, I'll stop mentioning other tires! =)

That is very helpful...thank you. Will actually try to get a "track set of wheels" and these perhaps in the future....

For now, I plan to just have fun on the sumi's.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:56 PM
They came yesterday...2 days shipping total. Amazing. Going on the car 8/1.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Do they make the Sumi's in 315/30/18? My PS2's are about ready to replace, and I'm looking for a less expensive alternative in a good summer tire. I don't track it.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Subscribed. I'm only a poser looking for a good street tire. This sounds like a great option. Rears that wear out in 7K miles and cost $400 each wear me out

Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Do they make the Sumi's in 315/30/18? My PS2's are about ready to replace, and I'm looking for a less expensive alternative in a good summer tire. I don't track it.
I don't think so. The only place I have seen them is Tire Rack....look up the tire via brand and then specs or sizes/prices.

315 would be very nice... That is a Damon question. ...Perhaps we shoudl all just post notes saying we want GT2 OEM sized tires. I am in for those sizes!

JB

Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Deputy: Are you running PS2's? Are you tracking? I drive in a fairly spirited manner and have gotten about 10K out of mine with the safety bars just now starting to show....I'll push it another 1K as long as the weather is dry....but at $450 a tire for the 315/30's....it's almost a grand for the two rears. Problem is the fronts look great and will probably last as long as a second set of the PS2 rears...so I'm sort of stuck ordring another set...but will look for another alternative next time around provided I can find something decent in that size.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:31 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Deputy: Are you running PS2's? Are you tracking? I drive in a fairly spirited manner and have gotten about 10K out of mine with the safety bars just now starting to show....I'll push it another 1K as long as the weather is dry....but at $450 a tire for the 315/30's....it's almost a grand for the two rears. Problem is the fronts look great and will probably last as long as a second set of the PS2 rears...so I'm sort of stuck ordring another set...but will look for another alternative next time around provided I can find something decent in that size.
No tracking. Just aggressive street driving in a 500hp rear wheel drive car. I am running dunlops right now as they came packaged with my 19's. My second sets of rears is almost shot and fronts still look like new.

I would much rather go with something less expensive, higher mileage tire at this point and get a second set of wheels tires if I ever get the ***** to go to the track

Old 07-25-2008, 06:06 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Have had the Sumi's on for a couple of days but haven't had a chance to really see what they can do. Tomorrow will be a good test on the Ortega Hwy early in the A.M. before Cars and Coffee.

Tires look really cool if that matters. By looking at the tread I'd say 20k miles out of the rears.

First impression is that these tires are smooth and quiet. That's all I can really say right now. After tomorrows's run I'll have a better idea.

For a little more than 7 bills installed, mounted, balanced with a Hermann balancer and aligned and the camber dialed in. I couldn't say no.

tw

Last edited by TT Tommy; 07-25-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 PM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
tt tommy,
where did you get your tires (?tire rack) and who did the installation, mounting, balancing etc? I'm also in OC.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)