996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:20 PM
MRE
MRE is infamous around these parts
I have had the sumi's for about a month now--700 miles, and I love them! I will definitely run these again. I will report in again in a few weeks after a DE to see how well they hold up. I don't expect them to perform like the mpsc tires, but they are worth a try as least.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 AM
riley6 is infamous around these parts
No love for Nitto here?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
They aren't a popular favorite for some reason...

Mike

Old 09-08-2008, 11:22 AM
AdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to all
I love my nittos NTO1 s!!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:35 PM
riley6 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AdrianM5
I love my nittos NTO1 s!!
Are they primarily track tires? How do they compare in price to the others?

Old 09-09-2008, 02:52 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
NT01s are R-compounds, and example pricing can be seen here: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...yp=Competition

Old 09-09-2008, 05:01 PM
AdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by riley6
Are they primarily track tires? How do they compare in price to the others?
I've been running these on the street and at track events all in total close to 9000 miles so far and they look great! but they are loud..if they made these in 19's 235f and 315r i'd be all over them...i'm looking at some toyo r888 235f and 305r but not sure about the rolling diameters and possible differential problems.

Adrian

Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 PM
CaptPegLeg is infamous around these parts
I got the sumi's also. Other than the smell, I like 'em fine. One DE event and they seemed pretty good for my skill level. Certainly like the price better.
And the smell? Someone's going to ask so...when they were delivered they smelled like they had been stored in a dairy barn. That's right Cow S**t. Couldn't see the evidence but I sure could smell it. I thought whatever caused it would wash off. Hasn't yet but the smell is fainter. The lab kinda freaks when he walks by them and I'm careful not to park where a lot of folks would get a whiff.
My first time around the block with stinking tires.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:54 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Well, there's a new one......

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 09-11-2008, 01:59 PM
wachuko is infamous around these parts
Question

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Well, there's a new one......

Care to elaborate??

Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM
CaptPegLeg is infamous around these parts
Damon, let me know if you figure it out. Mine can't be the only ones.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
I ordered a set of tires from TireRack for the 996TT, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (235/315), and then had to order another set for the 911 SC RSR project... 335/35-17s also Michelin... and also from TireRack...

So I can sure use some relief for when is time to get the next set...

Old 09-11-2008, 02:42 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg
I got the sumi's also. Other than the smell, I like 'em fine. One DE event and they seemed pretty good for my skill level. Certainly like the price better.
And the smell? Someone's going to ask so...when they were delivered they smelled like they had been stored in a dairy barn. That's right Cow S**t. Couldn't see the evidence but I sure could smell it. I thought whatever caused it would wash off. Hasn't yet but the smell is fainter. The lab kinda freaks when he walks by them and I'm careful not to park where a lot of folks would get a whiff.
My first time around the block with stinking tires.

Well, this one drove me out to my car to look around and "smell" things out.

I don't notice anything on my tires, and I dont' have a cold and seem to be smelling things just fine these days. I don't doubt your issue.

Just another data point. No issues for me in rain or driving hard in the hills.....much better turn in the conti 2's IMHO. About the same to perhaps even better the PS2's. Pirellis when new were quick, but they wore poorly and were super noisy. I had not tread squirm with Pirellis, but others did...these are keepers so far.

Jeff

Old 09-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I'll be paying attention to this thread... My big question is NOISE... How Noisy are these tires? I went with the Michilen PS RIB because of the noise and have been extremely happy. The only issue is cost... But if the Sumitomo is quiet, then I'll give them a shot next time around...

Mike
+1 I have two set of wheels and one has the new Michelins installed with 235/315. The ones in the car now have 13K miles (got to love the great/smooth roads in Orlando, FL). I plan to paint those wheels Seal Grey to match the car and put some Sumi in there... even if they don't have 315... I can stick to the stock size at less than half the cost of the Michelin...

Old 09-11-2008, 11:44 PM
bentlink is infamous around these parts
Sumitomos at the track

Track day at Mission Raceway (BC, Canada near Vancouver).

Sumitomos were nicely worn in prior but not actually showing that much wear at about 4600 kms (2875 miles).

Tires performed superbly... I stayed on the tail of a buddies 997 TT, and, in another session when he was behind me he was not in any position to pass

(Suffice to say he didn't drive that tight of a line and that has nothing to do with the tires, I know.)

But from cold to hot, and turn-in to threshold braking, the tires were excellent.

I could drive home the 3.5 hours back to Kelowna without having to change from track tires -- or care -- since they are such good value.

Bottom line: the best value for money in high performance summer tires with great TireRack ratings. Ideal for a daily driver, very good wet performance including suprisingly good hydroplaning resistance in standing water, and for a relative novice, perfect for a great time at a track driving event (no surprises cold or hot).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)