996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I should have my Sumi's by Friday and hopefully can get them mounted ASAP on my HRE's. I also bought spacers. 15mm for rear/7mm for front.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:08 AM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
just wanted to chime in that I have used sumitomos in the past and they are a FANTASTIC tire.... and the price makes them EVEN BETTER! No reason to spend almost triple the amount for a michelin in my opinion.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Banned
kc2ab is infamous around these parts
tire wear ratio

well, gonna get some sumi's.....my rears are wearing out inside....reading about alignment on this forum too.... for most daily drivers, what is the ratio of front to back tire wear? is it about 1:2 ?, 1:3?
i'm a newbie..my 03 x50 fronts look good, ps2, but rear inside is going and have maybe a few thousand miles left....

james R
'03 x50 tip 54K miles

Old 05-31-2009, 02:14 PM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kc2ab
well, gonna get some sumi's.....my rears are wearing out inside....reading about alignment on this forum too.... for most daily drivers, what is the ratio of front to back tire wear? is it about 1:2 ?, 1:3?
i'm a newbie..my 03 x50 fronts look good, ps2, but rear inside is going and have maybe a few thousand miles left....

james R
'03 x50 tip 54K miles
It's not unusual for the inside of the rears (especially the right), to wear quicker, especially if you drive with a heavy right foot. typically, 2:1 rear to fronts need to be replaced. Usually about 8-12K for the rears and double that for the fronts.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:17 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Been on my new Sumi's for about 2 weeks now...Smooth and quiet. Satisfied except for the cooler weather traction. But I am at almost 600whp...

Old 06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
kpl
kpl is infamous around these parts
I've only had one set of tires, Kuhmo SPT's, on my C4S so far and they all wore out at the same time. 15K street miles with over 30 autocross events on them.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:23 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
8000 miles.

No noise.

Fronts...look new. Perhaps 1-2mm down.

Rears. 3-4mm down...half left or more.

No DE days on these tires, but darn if they are not doing double the wear of the contis and triple the pirellis....

Highly recommended!

Jeff

(I plan to put some DE time in when things allow....we shall see. I'll buy some new rears to have "around" as I suspect DE will be tough on them, but that is still less than one rear PS2...for 2 rears!)

Old 06-14-2009, 06:10 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
When My MPS Ribs wear out, I'll buy a set of these for sure...

Mike

Old 06-14-2009, 06:36 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I don't have them on my pcar, but they have been superb on my daily C30. I can't tell you how impressed I am with these tires. They were half the price of the factory michelins. The handling is drastically improved and I've yet been able to make them howl. The rain performance has been stellar as well. 2 thumbs up so far. We'll see how they wear. I got 38K out of the stock michelins over 10 months, so that will be my benchmark.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:40 PM
dog4delta is infamous around these partsdog4delta is infamous around these parts
Damon at Tire Rack hooked me up with a set of the Sumi's for my 996TT. As many have experienced before, he provided me with outstanding service. He recommended shipping them directly to a local NTB store for mounting which saved any hassles with the UPS man trying to catch me at home. Thus far I haven't had an opportunity to do much other than "commute" with them, but they seem a little quieter than my old (and worn) Michelin Pilot Sports, and the road expansion crack "thump" seems to be a little reduced as well. As the Sumi's are about 1/2 the price of new Michelin's, I've already come to the conclusion that they're far better than only "half as good" simply based on the price. Time will tell if I remain satisfied, but austerity seems to be hard to argue with lately.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to all
Haven't tried the III but remember the II are good for the price

Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I think most people in here burn through rubber fairly quickly. I know I do, but for informational purposes. What is the longest that you should keep a set of tires on age wise. I have heard that rubber hardens fairly fast, 3 years or so. Is this true and should tires be replaced within a certain time frame regardless of wear?

Old 06-15-2009, 01:12 PM
H-MAN is infamous around these parts
Great thread. Thanks everyone for the great follow up and reviews on the Sumitomo's. I will definitely be buying a set after my run down my PZero's.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:09 PM
kgryder22 is infamous around these parts
Sumis

I have also had these tires on my car for about 500 miles or so now.
The price was my primary driver to buy these. I figure if they need to be replaced regularly, may as well be reasonable to do so.
The noise seems to be very good to this point. Put it this way, I hear the engine/exhaust over the tires and I have stock exhaust.
I pushed the car a bit on some twisties, I couldnt tell if it was a 'stock' suspension issue or tires, but I just thought the limit should be a little further out than this. But my point of comparison is a 993 that had a stiffer suspension, so hard to say, but I suspect the tires had more limitations than the the suspension due to the fact the front felt lighter at speed than I think it should and it made the just generally felt unstable at times.
Anyhow, I definitely think these tires are worth a try, they are cheap enough if you hate them, you are out the time of wearing them out FAR more than you are out a large sum of money. I am HOPING Sumitomo eventually makes the right sizes for 19 inch set up....right now these are non existent in any kind of 315/19 option.

~Ken

Old 07-03-2009, 09:44 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
What is the most miles you have put on your Sumis?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I took the affordable supertire plunge! (Sumitomos)