996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo Timer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 11:00 PM
JakeMate is infamous around these parts
Turbo Timer?

I've heard that a turbo timer is not needed with the 911 Turbo because oil is pumped through the turbos after the car is shut off. I think I would hear the pump if this were the case. What's the real deal?

Old 08-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I was wondering the same thing. A turbo timer would eliminate the need to sit in your car like a dork for 3 miniutes while it is running to letting the turbos cool down.

Old 08-04-2004, 12:33 AM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
As long as you're not on Boost for the last few minutes of your drive...you'll be fine. If you've been boosting hard, 3 mins won't hurt you anyway right?

- KJ

Old 08-04-2004, 01:29 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
James put one in for me... Works a treat and saves me from sitting in the car afterwards....

Old 08-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
How do Turbo Timers work? Do you have to leave your car running for a preset period of time? Or is there an oil pump that keeps the oil circulating so it doesn't cook onto the turbo shaft?

Mike

Old 08-04-2004, 07:15 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !

It works really well.... I can set it to stay on for as little/long as I want. Here's my one installed. James had to do some serious hacking to get it to work since there's no harnesses for our cars. So it's not an "easy" plug and play. You need

Old 08-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Weazel is infamous around these parts
Actually, turbo timers are one of the easiest installs. Some turbo timers read, A/F, Boost, 1/4 miles times, 0-60 and even speed in KM or MPH. You set the turbo timer to whatever you settings you want, whether it be 30 seconds to 3 minutes. If anyone is interested, let me know! I can give more information on them. Companies like Blitz, HKS, and Greddy all make turbo timers and boost controllers!

Old 08-04-2004, 09:12 AM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Zippy
Does the car keep running, or is the oil just circulated by an auxillary pump?
The car just keeps running.

- KJ

Old 08-04-2004, 09:20 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Alex,

Those are EXACTLY the gauges I want . . . A/F, Transmission Oil Temp and Boost. I wasn't aware that you can monitor A/F real time . . . that is great. How difficult is it to install the gauges? Wiring? Face plate? Who did you purchase them from?

SP,

I might be interested in a turbo timer that performed some of the features you described (e.g., monitoring A/F), or alternatively a stand-alone A/F monitor. What is the best of these timers and how difficult is it to install?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Old 08-04-2004, 09:48 AM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by KJM3
The car just keeps running.

- KJ
That means someone has 3 minutes to break the steering lock and drive the car away

Old 08-04-2004, 10:56 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Normally they have a brake switch installed that kills the motor when the brakes are applied.

Old 08-04-2004, 12:02 PM
JakeMate is infamous around these parts
Where can I get one of these timers and does anyone install them in SoCal? Thanks guys.

Old 08-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Craig
Alex,

Those are EXACTLY the gauges I want . . . A/F, Transmission Oil Temp and Boost. I wasn't aware that you can monitor A/F real time . . . that is great. How difficult is it to install the gauges? Wiring? Face plate? Who did you purchase them from?

SP,

I might be interested in a turbo timer that performed some of the features you described (e.g., monitoring A/F), or alternatively a stand-alone A/F monitor. What is the best of these timers and how difficult is it to install?

Thanks in advance.

Craig
Hi Craig, gimme a call at the shop tomorrow 650-381-0000 James does those in house but we can send you the kit and I'm sure with a bit of help, Dan will no doubt be able to hook them up? Let me know if you want it...

Old 08-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Craig
Alex,

SP,

Thanks in advance.

Craig
I forgot to mention. Get the Apexi one I have. It's small and mounts perfectly in that spot. The others are larger and have all kindsa crazy crap on 'em that we don't need. This one does have the narrowband AFR meter on it as well as other stuff. It's also really cheap at around $100.

Old 08-04-2004, 02:48 PM
stanmo is infamous around these parts
Just curious, how did you install the transmission temperature sender? Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Timer?