996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

car getting some "cosmetic" surgery...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
How come the front vents are yellow instead of black? I thought the factory GT2 vents (Up by the hood) were a separate peice?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
How come the front vents are yellow instead of black? I thought the factory GT2 vents (Up by the hood) were a separate peice?
They are indeed black and seperate from the bumper, some aftermarkets although are molded into the bumper hmm. It could be just that he painted the vent slots making it hard to see!

Btw, anyone have info on downforce with stock gt2 wing at different angles, opposed to the wing you just put on Tom?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Let's not forget though that the stock GT2 front bumper, while producing more DF than the stock TT front end, is still only engineered for balance with the regular GT2 wing.

Tom's new wing is much more potent, so in addition to the winglets I think he's going to need something in the form of a flat underbody splitter that sticks out from beneath the bumper to get it really balanced out.

Some cup cars run this, but most of the RSR are slammed to the ground and have to fight lift less, so this will need to be tuned carefully to make it safely fast.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:07 PM
viperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud of
Oh we have plans to balance Tom's car for front end grip First things first... Then MORE PICS

Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Is that an oem GT2 bumper? It looks really good. I thought the same thing about the vents.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:55 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
The GT2 Front end mod (Not just the bumper, but ALL of the hardware) is one of the mods I have on my short list. Another is a tranny cooler.

Every bit of work done on that car looks amazing. Getty Design has some very cool stuff, for sure. An adjustable front splitter (Undertray as Dez mentions) and adjustable front winglets will help get the right balance.

Tom, There's a place in North Carolina we used for an aerodynamic article I wrote last year for Nissan Sport Magazine. You might want to see if there is a similar facility near you. We rented the tunnel for a day and it cost us about $4K for the whole day and the use of one of their operators.

Mike

Old 07-30-2008, 06:30 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
this is a Getty Design nose so no separate top grill. also keeping the CF hood so didnt want it to clash!!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Let's not forget though that the stock GT2 front bumper, while producing more DF than the stock TT front end, is still only engineered for balance with the regular GT2 wing.

Tom's new wing is much more potent, so in addition to the winglets I think he's going to need something in the form of a flat underbody splitter that sticks out from beneath the bumper to get it really balanced out.

Some cup cars run this, but most of the RSR are slammed to the ground and have to fight lift less, so this will need to be tuned carefully to make it safely fast.
trying to do the front dive wings like the RSR, working on it.............!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 AM
some pics of "whats under the rear bumper" rear bumper mod pics later

IC removed, I had never seen this view before, thought it may be interesting
also noted the top boost hose from the IC to the engine had some Oil in it on the driver side, was told that is "normal"?

Gt2 IC on top, Vivid on bottom. in person the Vivid is larger with bigger end tanks, however need to include the fact that it is not just a direct "bolt" in replacement, about a 6 hour job. GT2 IC's have been sold BTW

also note the rear bumper and muffler is gone, that was like that before.

also note the Cup car retractable tow loop

Last edited by tom kerr; 07-30-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:17 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
The GT2 Front end mod (Not just the bumper, but ALL of the hardware) is one of the mods I have on my short list. Another is a tranny cooler.

Every bit of work done on that car looks amazing. Getty Design has some very cool stuff, for sure. An adjustable front splitter (Undertray as Dez mentions) and adjustable front winglets will help get the right balance.

Tom, There's a place in North Carolina we used for an aerodynamic article I wrote last year for Nissan Sport Magazine. You might want to see if there is a similar facility near you. We rented the tunnel for a day and it cost us about $4K for the whole day and the use of one of their operators.

Mike

Mike, I know of that place in NC, MTI racing takes their vettes there and I plan to send mine with them at some point when I get some aero. They split up the time to like $600 for 1.5 hrs I think.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:36 AM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tom kerr
...Gt2 IC on top, Vivid on bottom. in person the Vivid is larger with bigger end tanks, however need to include the fact that it is not just a direct "bolt" in replacement, about a 6 hour job. GT2 IC's have been sold BTW...
Tom,

The mods you are doing to your car are great and I look forward to hearing a report on how it does at your next event.

I am only curious about this, but if for any reason the new intercoolers don't work, what do you have for a backup?

Greg A

Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Dez, Areodyn2 is the name of this one, in Mooresville, Nc. They did a "club day" special for us for $3500 and we went over the alotted time amount, so we paid the difference... We did 28 tests with four different cars. There's a table and video links up on Nissan Sport's website...

Mike

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Mike, I know of that place in NC, MTI racing takes their vettes there and I plan to send mine with them at some point when I get some aero. They split up the time to like $600 for 1.5 hrs I think.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by teflon
Tom,

The mods you are doing to your car are great and I look forward to hearing a report on how it does at your next event.

I am only curious about this, but if for any reason the new intercoolers don't work, what do you have for a backup?

Greg A
a trailor........

Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Dez, Areodyn2 is the name of this one, in Mooresville, Nc. They did a "club day" special for us for $3500 and we went over the alotted time amount, so we paid the difference... We did 28 tests with four different cars. There's a table and video links up on Nissan Sport's website...

Mike
well that would be a cool thing to get to.

need to balance the front of this car out and still keep it drivable. remember Sebring is the home track and it is very bumpy.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Tom, you need a CF roof to get rid of that sunroof and more weight!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: car getting some "cosmetic" surgery...