996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

car getting some "cosmetic" surgery...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Dez, Mike, hopefully at our next GTG you guys can try this car out and give me some thoughts as it is "our" track test mule!

bob appreciate you taking the time to add some professional answers!!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Dirty Mac is infamous around these parts
You have gone insane !!!!!! AND I LOVE IT

Can't wait to see the finished product.

I hope you will wait up for me on the track

How was the radiator changed to take advantage of the bumper duct?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dirty Mac

The GT2 radiator pretty much fits perfectly behind the GT2 front bumper. I have the GT2 radiator and it was a perfect fit, when I put the Techart bumper on I needed to modify the bumper to get the GT2 radiator to fit.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Tom, any idea what your rear wing and deck lid weigh in at?

Mate, another idea... to protect your paint how about covering your entire car in matt black sticker covering ;P

Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
Dez, Mike, hopefully at our next GTG you guys can try this car out and give me some thoughts as it is "our" track test mule!

bob appreciate you taking the time to add some professional answers!!
I WANNA TRY, I WANNA TRY

You can drive mine in return, biggest thing is, when are all of you going to be at an event again?

How is the steering feel with the 265's up front, i'm running your tires but 245's up front with the 335's...

BTW I realized I do not like my rake, my front end can be lower a good 10-20mm more, hopefully that will solve some high speed front end stability!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:00 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dirty Mac

Stan you will still be every bit as fast as my car (well I hope not)
the front conversion was a big deal included new radiators, GT2 ducting, vents etc. the front radiator is tilted forward almost 30 degrees so the air flows through it and out the top vent to increase cooling as well as downforce on the top of the hood.

See ya at Chin in August???

Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
I WANNA TRY, I WANNA TRY

You can drive mine in return, biggest thing is, when are all of you going to be at an event again?

How is the steering feel with the 265's up front, i'm running your tires but 245's up front with the 335's...

BTW I realized I do not like my rake, my front end can be lower a good 10-20mm more, hopefully that will solve some high speed front end stability!
front tires provide good turn in grip.

you are welcome to drive my car anytime, hopefully we will all be on a track together soon.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Harold weighed the front hood....5 pounds. the rear wing and deck also weigh almost nothing maybe 15 pounds total vs 50+

rear wing, deck coming along...

Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Tom, I weighed the rear deck and wing and even with the power stuff it only weighs about 15-20 lbs. I was dissapointed. Porsche didnt put any uneccessary weight on our cars. Make's it hard to trim the fat.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Tom, I weighed the rear deck and wing and even with the power stuff it only weighs about 15-20 lbs. I was dissapointed. Porsche didnt put any uneccessary weight on our cars. Make's it hard to trim the fat.
I have the rear aero wing on my deck which is very heavy, will weigh it tomorrow for ya!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

that is surprising. Even with the hydraulic actuators and everything? I wonder how much the GT2 wing and lid weigh?

Tom, the car looks badazz. registered to keep track

Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Yeah, shocked me too. I remember distinctly because in the lightest turbo list we had a poster say the techart wing was 25 lbs lighter than the stock wing and I was so excited to get a GT2 wing, then I weighed the stock one and it didnt even weigh 25 lbs (may have been 22 lbs, and I had the techart add-on). I only got like 5-7 lbs with mine.

When I sold and shipped it, the whole gigantic box with tons of tape bubble wrap and foam pellets was only 36 lbs.

The aero spoiler does look heavier though, in fact I think it has to be, 25 lbs more is a stretch for just the wing part, but could be.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Yeah, shocked me too. I remember distinctly because in the lightest turbo list we had a poster say the techart wing was 25 lbs lighter than the stock wing and I was so excited to get a GT2 wing, then I weighed the stock one and it didnt even weigh 25 lbs (may have been 22 lbs, and I had the techart add-on). I only got like 5-7 lbs with mine.

When I sold and shipped it, the whole gigantic box with tons of tape bubble wrap and foam pellets was only 36 lbs.

The aero spoiler does look heavier though, in fact I think it has to be, 25 lbs more is a stretch for just the wing part, but could be.

LOL, 25 lbs lighter would then mean you have new wing that is lighter than air. It is impressive that the decklid complete is that light. I guess the ram air effect of the GT2 lid is probably worth the extra weight of the wing it cmes with?

Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 AM
I have an aftermarket GT2 deck/wing, but even it is lighter than the factory Turbo setup so I assume the factory would be as well.

In weight heaviest to lightest: Aero kit, stock TT, GT2

Old 08-01-2008, 11:39 AM
more pics
intake before

after

bob found a used rear bumper, cut out for the tow hook and will cut open the bumper holes larger and screen them for cooling and so rear bumper doesnt act as a parachute!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: car getting some "cosmetic" surgery...