996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Misfire / Hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 AM
dxb996tt is infamous around these parts
Misfire / Hesitation

So I finally got my car running, after much too long a wait!

But I got the following codes on my car last night:

P0447 Shutoff valve activated
P1133 oxygen sensor adaption (lower load range bank 2)
P0300 misfire detection
Then a misfire detection for each cylinder 4,5,6 (didnt write down each code #)

I got the same codes a day earlier and cleared them, only to have them pop up again after driving it for less than 30 mins. I just did a vivid 650 kit w/ 60lb injectors, put in a new air filter, Denso plugs, GT2 IC's, Greddy Profec

The misfire/hesitation is only really there under 3 or 4k rpm, and it I can definitely feel it when driving around town under light/part throttle or idling. Pressure test was fine, no leaks,

One thing a friend of mine brought up is possibly fouled plugs, a couple weeks ago I had some issues with the EBC being hooked up improperly from my shop and I was getting boost spikes well over 1.5 bar, he's saying that this could have fouled the plugs, but I doubt it would foul the plugs on just one bank?

The other issue I can think of is something wrong with the dreaded Variocam, it seems like issues with Variocam are usually bank specific, but what other symptoms should I check for if its Variocam related?

Finally I dont think this its the MAF, but I was thinking of changing the MAF and plugs at the same time, see if it helps, as far as I know MAF is original, car has 55,000 kms on it, but from what I know on these cars it wouldnt cause a problem on just one bank....

Any input/thoughts are much appreciated, especially if they dont mention having to pull my engine out again and replace a whole bunch of parts

TIA

Old 07-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
NGK bkr7E 3 dollar plugs and replace that old MAF. Or have them resend you the file it might be that.

S

Old 07-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Westy is infamous around these parts
Coil Packs....

Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 AM
996twin_sc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Westy
Coil Packs....
+1

Thats my guess.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys, I'm actually thinking that its not MAF related, being one bank only. So i reset the codes, started the car and it idles fine, no CEL or misfire codes

Also pulled these numbers using Durametric just now, MAF is reading 22 @ idle, which i know to be normal and Hot Film MAF numbers around 1.4 @ idle, can anyone confirm if this is normal?

I didnt take the car over 1800 rpm, but i got some odd numbers below

The numbers I am getting are for "Adaption Range 2 on Bank 2" These numbers start at 0% move up to 1% then jump to the high 3% range, i am guessing this is ignition adaption on bank 2 which is the bank i'm having problems with.... not sure if this helps diagnose the issue at all, but i guess it narrows it down to something ignition related, plugs/coils? The same Adaption Range for Bank 1 is around 1%......

Old 07-24-2008, 09:41 AM
slant911 is infamous around these parts
Plugs or coil packs..

Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 AM
996twin_sc is infamous around these parts
How long have you had the plugs in for?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
the plugs have been in since i installed the turbo's etc, less than 100 km's, but at i noted above i think they could have gotten fouled with high boost spikes that i got from the EBC when it was hooked up wrong, i'm just questioning the plugs fouling all on one bank.....

Old 07-24-2008, 01:06 PM
daytonaed is infamous around these parts
If I where you I would try a new MAF. Recently my car was doing strange things and it turned out being a bad MAF. It would be cool if you could have someone local to you try their know good MAF take it for a short drive and see if it makes any difference. If so then you've found your problem. I don't think doing this would damage the MAF you are borrowing.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Ask Markski. I think he said a few times that overboosting can kill your plugs.

Most likely plugs. Don't get all hung up thinking stuff that you didn't fiddle with broke during the upgrade. Re-check everything you touched, including injector harness connection.

Be patient, it's all worth it, and unfortunately part of fiddling sometimes...

Old 07-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone,

so the plan is Saturday change plugs and MAF (cant hurt if its original) and recheck all the connections surrounding the ignition, then go from there!

Ari, if you only knew what i've been through on this install, lets just put it this way, they've had my car since April, and i just got it back a few days ago, shops here in Dubai arent exactly at the same level your basic shop is there, and if it wasnt for Dan replying to all my emails, sending parts out quickly, and generally just being very patient with the guys i deal with here it would probably still be at the shop now.....

But i know it will be worthwhile when its done

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
MAF is literally a few minutes. Might as well do them separately. That way, if you have the problem again you'll know exactly what to do! Plugs first IMHO

GL
A

Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks ard,

doing plugs tomorrow, will let you guys know if thats the issue

Old 07-25-2008, 08:53 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dxb996tt
doing plugs tomorrow, will let you guys know if thats the issue
check the coil packs and all connections while you're there.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I feel you pain brotha...

But than again, you have a high HP car in Dubai. How fun is that?

Originally Posted by dxb996tt
Thanks everyone,

so the plan is Saturday change plugs and MAF (cant hurt if its original) and recheck all the connections surrounding the ignition, then go from there!

Ari, if you only knew what i've been through on this install, lets just put it this way, they've had my car since April, and i just got it back a few days ago, shops here in Dubai arent exactly at the same level your basic shop is there, and if it wasnt for Dan replying to all my emails, sending parts out quickly, and generally just being very patient with the guys i deal with here it would probably still be at the shop now.....

But i know it will be worthwhile when its done

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Misfire / Hesitation