996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is the new BMW M6 really that easy to toast ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:26 PM
kave is infamous around these parts
My m6 will take a stock 996 or a 997 to the woodshed. If a 996 has k24 550 horsepower it will be close.

I have an exhaust and pulley. Thats it. The turbo gets off the line because of the all wheel drive, but at 170 it's not even close.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 PM
ONSIGHT1 is infamous around these parts
I have both and M6 cab and a 996 tt. I have modded both. The M6 with exhaust,pulley and lowered suspension. The tt has a flash and exhaust.
The tt is without a doubt quicker.
The M6 does indeed struggle for traction in 1st and 2nd gear. However, I must say it is pretty nice to hear a 8k shift with modded exhaust with the top down.
The M6 is my daily driver and is such a beautiful car.
When I want to go out and have some real fun I take the tt.
Trying to decide now what further mods to make.
Also, as compared to the tt ,the M6 is a joke to mod. You spend ridiculous money to gain just 10-15 hp. The tt is heaven.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:37 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zeroh
Hi Guys - First post and thought i'd make it relevant !!

Have a look at www.drivers-republic.com these guys are ex-Evo magazine and Autocar for those familiar with the UK auto publishing scene - anyway, they have a video of a 997tt v M6 shootout from 30 to 160mph... the results may suprise some, but the M6 is seriously quick against pretty much anything thats stock, including the 7tt.

100-150mph the M6 will pull on a 7tt, autocar's own published datalogged times in their road tests indicate it, and this video illustrates it.

Been lurking on the 6 for a long time - source of a lot of interesting info, and some very interesting projects and innovation !

Thanks guys.

p.s. not sure if its clear in my profile... am running an 03 X50 (pretty much stock)

I recall saying this a long time ago and having a bunch of doubters get into it. IF you start below 100 mph, the TT will beat the M6 due to pure torque. But if you START the race over 100 mph the TT's AWD drag will hamper it and the M6 has a chance to win.

Don't think it would happen every time, but certainly will happen as evident in that video.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:41 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kave
My m6 will take a stock 996 or a 997 to the woodshed. If a 996 has k24 550 horsepower it will be close.

I have an exhaust and pulley. Thats it. The turbo gets off the line because of the all wheel drive, but at 170 it's not even close.
I'm sure we can find someone with a K24 996 TT to test your theory. I think a flashed K24 TT will molest your M6 and it certainly will with an exhaust. Which is just that 550-600 hp.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'm sure we can find someone with a K24 996 TT to test your theory. I think a flashed K24 TT will molest your M6 and it certainly will with an exhaust. Which is just that 550-600 hp.

I thing i don't do is talk bull. I have raced a nissan gtr and at 170 it was he was behind at least 7 to 8 car lengths. I have raced a porsche with k24 turbos and an exhaust, he beat me by 1 1/2 car lenghts at 170. I was in shock because without the k24 it wasn't even close. I also have a 997 turbo tiptronic. When people say i pulled up to that m6 and took off and kicked it's ***, that is possible. In the 997 you can mash the throttle and you are gone. With the m6, you have to look around make sure you are in the clear and then hit it. It doesn't have the initial traction that the turbo has, nor can it stop on a dime like the turbo.

Next time i will post the video for the non believers.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't need any convincing, If you look at some of the previous threads I'm one of the people who say the M6 is nothing to be toyed with. But a properly flashed/exhaust K24 car will eat your lunch. I'm not talking about GIAC flashes either, which seem to run rampant over there on the west coast.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 PM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
Very ironic that I stumbled onto this thread, but i think i can answer your question on the k24 vs. M6. I was wandering home on the express lane today when a sweet black murdered M6 came up on me fast definetely wanted to play. After a little cat an mouse i waved him down, told him to slow to 50, then 3 count, then HIT IT. My 996 has the full FVD stage 4 package, but ive never really tested it against another car. This guy didnt know what hit him. In 2 seconds i had 3-4 lengths, and a few ticks later it was 7-8 lengths. I finally let off when i realized he had no shot. He pulled up and honked and waved. He was a good sport. My instant boost was devastating, I am still awestruck by the power.

M6 vs k24 is not a fair race.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by kave

Old 03-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
"I'm sure we can find someone with a K24 996 TT to test your theory. I think a flashed K24 TT will molest your M6 and it certainly will with an exhaust. Which is just that 550-600 hp."

LOL

Old 04-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I beated one (new plate) when I was in the limp mode.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:45 PM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
First let me say: More power to you guys. I really enjoy reading about all the kills and claims between different cars. What's funny about all this is that in a previous thread I was lambasted, and my rep was sabotaged, because I brought up the fact that whenever someone kills themselves or someone else during a "demonstration of speed" the posts are all "OMG, street racing is so wrong". Which I pointed out, as far as what goes on within this forum, is a bunch of double talk BS. Far be it for me to be a party pooper here, have at it and take care of yourselves. My point is that, for the most part, we who own these beautiful machines like to go fast. Period. Those posts decrying "all this racing going on" (i.e. Recent fatal Ferrari accident in Newport) just sound hollow to me. That being said, keep up the great dialog. For someone like me, the low speed king, I can live vicariously off the great videos.

Last edited by MTheory; 04-01-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by MY996TT
I beated one (new plate) when I was in the limp mode.

I thought those lambo's were supposed to be fast.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by MTheory
First let me say: More power to you guys. I really enjoy reading about all the kills and claims between different cars. What's funny about all this is that in a previous thread I was lambasted, and my rep was sabotaged, because I brought up the fact that whenever someone kills themselves or someone else during a "demonstration of speed" the posts are all "OMG, street racing is so wrong". Which I pointed out, as far as what goes on within this forum, is a bunch of double talk BS. Far be it for me to be a party pooper here, have at it and take care of yourselves. My point is that, for the most part, we who own these beautiful machines like to go fast. Period. Those posts decrying "all this racing going on" (i.e. Recent fatal Ferrari accident in
Newport) just sound hollow to me. That being said, keep up the great dialog. For someone like me, the low speed king, I can live vicariously off the great videos.

You think i can get to 170 on the street. NO thx. There is no room in LA to race. I get excited if i can hit in 2nd gear around town. The desert or some of the tracks are where you can get the speed out of the system.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:32 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
I recently ran my 07 TT against a friends 07 M6 and can basically tell you that the M6 can't handle the TT from under 140 or so but anything above that it gets extremely close.

Also ran upon this video on the 997TT forum:
http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_t...64&area=videos

I also had an E60 M5 w/ Dinan diff and AA ECU and to be honest the M felt faster than my 997TT, but I haven't gotten the chance to run the 1/4 mile yet. My best time in the M5 was 12.2...

Last edited by C4SxM5; 04-01-2009 at 06:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the new BMW M6 really that easy to toast ?