996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tiptronic...I am missing something?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:55 PM
turbobob is infamous around these parts
I test drove a tip and didn't like the way it takes off in 2nd. I was told you can override that but I think it keeps going back to 2nd gear starts which reduces the fun IMHO.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:14 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbobob
I test drove a tip and didn't like the way it takes off in 2nd. I was told you can override that but I think it keeps going back to 2nd gear starts which reduces the fun IMHO.
the computer is analyzing the way you drive the car and if you are driving very sport the car will go in first gear and the response of the acceleration will be very prompt

Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 PM
turbobob is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by alex55
the computer is analyzing the way you drive the car and if you are driving very sport the car will go in first gear and the response of the acceleration will be very prompt
That's interesting. I know that most ECUs have learn modes but most take time to do so and say your stuck in traffic how quickly does the computer go back to thinking the car is being driven like an old lady and then when you get an opening will it be in 2nd or 1st?

Old 07-29-2008, 03:12 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
I personally hated the stick in the 996TT, and when i had my 996TT X50 with a short throw, shifting was more of a chore than anything else and totally destroyed the enjoyment of the car, it was awful - so i bought my 05 TT cab tip and was happy although the car "felt" much slower, and there was a huge lack of connection with the car as others have stated (obviously going from an X50 had something to do with that as well)

But now i have my 360 6-speed and love it

It all depends on the car - i had an 02 996 C2 stick and found it amazing, yet something about the 996TT stick... i hate it

Check a couple out and see what you like better

Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
To get first gear starts with the tip you need to shift manually to 1st when you stop...or nail it when you start and it will shift down. I don't like the second gear starts and always manually shift to first. If you are in auto it will usually shift to second second on its own...but depending on throtle opening a manual shift is sometimes desireable.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:22 AM
andolyn1 is infamous around these parts
tiptronic

i have a 2001 tiptronic cab. white. went from a 1982 sc to this car. what a joy. tiptronic takes a little getting use to but the convience is great.
funs cars. All a personal thing.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:45 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
While tips work for some of the other members, I could never buy a sports car with auto.Its like dating a HOT women and she has a dick......not for me.
No offense to those that date hot women with dicks

Old 10-25-2008, 09:54 AM
andolyn1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kilrgt
While tips work for some of the other members, I could never buy a sports car with auto.Its like dating a HOT women and she has a dick......not for me.
No offense to those that date hot women with dicks

youre killing me this morning with that oxymoron
hot chick with a dick

Old 10-25-2008, 05:14 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
funny. I love my tip now that I added more power.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:13 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
It's funny that people said "no offense..." but actually saying something offensive.

Anyone can drive a six speed; the whole reason of a Tip is having a free hand, so you can put it on a hot chick, not a dick... I meant stick.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:26 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shaunt
I am in the market for my first 996tt. I had my mind set on a 6 speed but have seen a lot of tips for sale. It seems for the most part the owners who have them are very happy.

I have never been in a tiptronic 996tt. I have driven other cars that have a similar set up and I prefer a six speed.

My question is am I selling them short by not considering them? Will I be regretting it if I did purchase one instead of a six speed?

Thanks for your input.
dont get a tip.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:36 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
dont get a tip.
See, I can accept Tom's comment because it is straight to the point and not offensive.

I don't really want to start another 6speed/Tip war, but can we just supply our experience on the positive side instead of negative. What are the reasons you like a 6speed? But not the bad reasons why you don't like a Tip, especially those just drove a Tip once or twice and not owning one.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:49 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
I like my tip. I used to think buying a sports car w/auto was like... buying a big Caddy w/stick. I really like the way the car shifts. You can stay in the throttle and let the car do what it does best... and my fabspeed exhaust makes it sound really good as it goes through the gears! I drove a 6 speed car first and truth be told... it seemed to have more torque - no complaints here!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
I've never driven a tip tt, but I'll give you my experience. I drive in traffic and have dd'd every porsche I've ever owned. I went from a 98 boxster 5-spd, to a 2001 boxster s 6-spd, to a 1999 996 tip, and now a 2001 turbo 6-spd. I can say without reservation that my two boxsters were WAY more fun than my tip. Even the way underpowered 2.5 boxster was a hoot to drive compared to the 996. The tip 996 was much faster than the boxsters (yes, even the s), but it just was not the same for me. I had the tip for 3 years (still have it, but its now for sale), and I just never really saw the car as a "fun" car because it was not six speed. I just like being involved, rowing through the gears, and being able to "blip" the throttle without having to put the car in neutral as it rolls! I always found myself driving just for the sake of driving in my manual porsches, something I rarely did in my tip after the novelty of finally owning a 911 wore off.

Again, its personal preference, and it really depends on how you intend to use the car. If I had a dd porsche and a "fun" weekend porsche, I don't think I would have minded the tip as much, but because I could only have one, the choice to go back to a 6 speed was really, really easy. Hope my experience helps.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:40 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Me, I'd go 6speed for now...but frankly, I'd love the new PDK gadget....sort of best of both, like the Ferrari F1 box....just me.

Wish for 5k you could retrofit.

JB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic...I am missing something?