996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tiptronic...I am missing something?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:39 PM
shaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud of
Tiptronic...I am missing something?

I am in the market for my first 996tt. I had my mind set on a 6 speed but have seen a lot of tips for sale. It seems for the most part the owners who have them are very happy.

I have never been in a tiptronic 996tt. I have driven other cars that have a similar set up and I prefer a six speed.

My question is am I selling them short by not considering them? Will I be regretting it if I did purchase one instead of a six speed?

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:58 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
I Have A Tip And Love It..... I Sold My 6 Speed Gallardo Because I Hate Shifting.. Call Me Lazy... It Really Depends On What Your Going To Use The Car For.. Track? Street? Dd?

Old 07-27-2008, 01:19 PM
shaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud ofshaunt has much to be proud of
The car will be a weekend car. Some occasional track use but mostly just spirited driving

Old 07-27-2008, 01:43 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Shaunt, if you are going track go 6 speed

Old 07-27-2008, 04:04 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
^^^ what he said !

but for DD take a tip :P

Old 07-27-2008, 04:33 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
If you have always been liking 6speed, I would say go for it. You don't want to make a decision that you'll regret later. You can always test drive a Tip to see how you like it.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Tom Pepper is infamous around these parts
I have, in the past, been blessed with excellent stick shift cars. I have a 2001 996 TT with tiptronic and really like it. A few other important issues obviated by a tiptronic include type 1 and 2 over-revs, 2nd gear pop out, clutch wear problems and the lack of cup holders.Don't be afraid of the tip.

Tom

Old 07-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
The 996tt is my first automatic sports car. I love it for my purposes, but the box can be a bit frustrating on the track. Having said that, and even though Steve recommends a 6 speed, you should see how fast he is on the track with his tip....

For me, I dont track often enough to warrant a manual anymore, especially given all the city driving. And truth be told on the track my lack of skills is complimented very well by the tip- I just concentrate on the racing line and braking points.... I can as a result go faster than a few 6 speed guys....

Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 PM
I had written them off for the most part but I seem to be coming acroos really nice ones at every turn.

I don't recall hearing many people disappointed with the decision of going with a tiptronic.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:55 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Harold
The 996tt is my first automatic sports car. I love it for my purposes, but the box can be a bit frustrating on the track. Having said that, and even though Steve recommends a 6 speed, you should see how fast he is on the track with his tip....

For me, I dont track often enough to warrant a manual anymore, especially given all the city driving. And truth be told on the track my lack of skills is complimented very well by the tip- I just concentrate on the racing line and braking points.... I can as a result go faster than a few 6 speed guys....
Thanks Harold for kind words, agreed the tip is not bad at all, you can actually make it work very well on track, track time/knowledge can play a bigger part especially for the tip, you have to override it sometimes to get best out of the box. Still going to upgrade the torque converter over the winter period, chat with you about that later Harold

Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 AM
TINS is infamous around these parts
I sold my C2 TIP just 3 months ago and replaced it with a 6 speed TT. I had the C2 for 7 years and used it as a daily driver and about 2 track days per year.

I went with a 6 speed because I missed the driver interaction. Still use the TT as a daily and I'm willing to put up with the traffic woes in order to retain the interaction. Definitely personal opinion. BTW TIP on the track does allow to fully focus ion the line, big advantage.

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 PM
For those of you that have had both or driven both, if you were to buy another one for a weekend car with minimal track time which would you buy?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:22 PM
rgagliano is infamous around these parts
996TT w/Tiptronic

I have a 2001 996TT with a tiptronic and have sort of a love/hate relationship with the transmission. For traffic in southern California it is great. I drive it mostly on weekends and to the golf course. I do miss the raw hit you get with the 6 speed. The tiptronic smooths out the turbo hit and you do not get the same "rush" when it spools up; however, be assured you are accelerating at alarming speed, you just don't feel it as much. The tiptronic is a bit slower from 0 to 60; however, from a rolling start it is close between the tip and the 6 speed. The tip allows you to concentrate on your line, speed and hitting your marks without worrying about gears selection as well. Overall, for you use, the tip is a good choice, you will not be sorry. Maintenance is almost zilch and no second gear pop out issues or clutch failures to deal with... If you are going to modify your engine, you have lower hp limits before having to beef up the torque converter.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:22 PM
rafiki is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tom Pepper
I have, in the past, been blessed with excellent stick shift cars. I have a 2001 996 TT with tiptronic and really like it. A few other important issues obviated by a tiptronic include type 1 and 2 over-revs, 2nd gear pop out, clutch wear problems and the lack of cup holders.Don't be afraid of the tip.

Tom
What he said, plus, no less enjoyment for me on track or on spirited drives.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:29 AM
TINS is infamous around these parts
As I indicated earlier, I had the TIP for 7 years (normally aspirated) and decided to go back to a six speed. For an auto transmission the TIP is great and the steering wheel shifters afford some level of interaction, but I missed the connection to the car. If you are going to be in traffic a lot I would consider the TIP, if not the six speed provides a better driving experience. One mans opinion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic...I am missing something?