996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Scratch through clearcoat - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 PM
dreamtripper is infamous around these parts
Scratch through clearcoat - what would you do?

I have a couple of scratches on the right of my car behind the rear passenger window on the drivers side that have gone through the clearcoat. They can't be buffed out in any way and the body/paint shops I went to (evidently the best in town) were not comfortable blending just the scratches since they are in an akward spot.

As a result the suggestion was to paint about half the driver side of the car specifically the rear quarter panel and roofline above the windows. Fine ... but my concern is if I sell my car, would this potentially raise concerns with a buyer? The car has never been in an accident of any sort. I think the scratches were a result of someone who "casually" keyed it while walking by.

What would you do? - repaint or leave as is. All the shops I went to said leaving as is would not do any further damage i.e. no concerns with rust, but the bigger issue are that the scratches bug me although most people might not notice them unless looking very closely. The car is Artic Silver by the way.

Attached Images  

Last edited by dreamtripper; 07-31-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
spray it and forget about it ... it will drive you nuts if you dont... plus u may have issues trying to sell it with the key marks..

just my 2 cents
tim

Old 07-31-2008, 10:36 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I've had to do this on several cars- a fact of driving (and parking... )

If it bugs you enough, then have it done. Just document the damage. Pictures, etc. Take the work order showing what was done, put them in the maintenance folder with all the other documents. New owner can review.

Pricey repair, eh? Rope front and rear windows, remove a bunch of stuff, remove quarter window. $800-1000?

GL

A

Old 08-01-2008, 07:40 AM
dreamtripper is infamous around these parts
Ard - you are spot on! You must be friends with the repair shops in my area. I was quoted anywhere from $800 to $1200.

This is the only issue that is preventing my car from being a "perfect" example, but then I won't have the luxury of saying no paintwork if I sell the car in the future.

But, it does bother me enough that I'm leaning towards the repaint.

Originally Posted by ard
I've had to do this on several cars- a fact of driving (and parking... )

If it bugs you enough, then have it done. Just document the damage. Pictures, etc. Take the work order showing what was done, put them in the maintenance folder with all the other documents. New owner can review.

Pricey repair, eh? Rope front and rear windows, remove a bunch of stuff, remove quarter window. $800-1000?

GL

A

Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dreamtripper
Ard - you are spot on! You must be friends with the repair shops in my area. I was quoted anywhere from $800 to $1200..
First day I had my car I was washing it and the Q#&&*# rear wiper slipped out of my hands, flipped over and scratched the paint. Mother.......! So I was agonizing like you for months. Really annoyed me, but didn't want the paint.

So a deer made the decision for me. Ran out an nailed me (yeah, I was semi-sideways trying to avoid it) right on the rear fender.

All shops all over the country basically use the same estimating software. All that varies will be hours here or there for color sanding/blending...and of course the hourly rate.

GL

A

PS No rear wiper any more... bumperplugs

Old 08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
soothsayer is infamous around these parts
I would have paid $1000 not to have ever had a damn rear wiper. I have removed it but not before it left its mark. I had no idea it took so much work to get that scratch out...unfortunate.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:45 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
You can't fill the scratches with clear, sand w/2500 and re-buff?

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Obvious it is bugging you (would be for me too). Just paint it and forget about it.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:07 PM
ard
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
You can't fill the scratches with clear, sand w/2500 and re-buff?
In my case it was through the color coat.

But the difference between clearcoating a panel, and coloring just the scratched area and THE clearcoating the panel is only about $200. You still need to mask, isolate and clearcoat the entire fender.

Any shop that proposes a 'spot clear' ...don't. You need to have the clear coat in one continuous sheet all the way under any trim/panels/rubber/etc

Old 08-01-2008, 06:49 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Clay bar first. If that does not work, it will at least make it less visible.
Use Zaino Clay Bar.
http://www.zainostore.com/

Old 08-01-2008, 08:40 PM
cko
cko is infamous around these parts
Perhaps this could help...

http://www.langka.com/

No affiliation by the way.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:37 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, I would get an orbital buffer with a #2/3 polish & work it in. It probably won't tak it out, bu only you will see it.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:00 PM
ard
Originally Posted by robertp
Clay bar first. If that does not work, it will at least make it less visible.
Use Zaino Clay Bar.
http://www.zainostore.com/
No, absolutely useless on a scratch. Waste of money.

(Suspiciously, the Zaino Clay Bar was IDENTICAL to the Mothers Gold bar- down to the cellophane wrapper... then they changed the color.)

Old 08-02-2008, 01:49 AM
wrasse is infamous around these parts
Paint it and be done -)