996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Chicago Motorcars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
craigincolo is infamous around these parts
So I bought this modified 911 through Chicago Motorcars. Described as a grocery getter that could become an animal. The car is just that, an animal. Clutch issues, motor issues. I will quote my porsche dealer who I have bought 3 cars from, "I'll work on it, zero guarantees, good luck." With that as a PPI, I called Parin and said I would pay to have it shipped back. $1200 for nothing just to be cool. Parin is apparently out of the office for 2 days and cant deal with this. Funny, I have a signed document that says the car is 100% perfect in every way. I am shipping the car back. Anyone want to give their opinion on Chigo motorcars because so far they seem to be a chop shop.

So, today I get this:

Craig. You own the car. Good luck. Learn how to talk and not lie. Maybe you will further in life. That's funny I have sold over 5000 cars and you are the first one to state "CMC is a chop shop". If you would like to talk this evening when I get back from Michigan. I will be available.

Great dealer, great person. I can take a $80K hit no problem. Chicago Motorcars - if you want to get screwed call them!!!!

Last edited by LUISGT3; 08-01-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Banned
Lounge Lizard is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by craigincolo
So I bought this modified 911 through Chicago Motorcars. Described as a grocery getter that could become an animal. The car is just that, an animal. Clutch issues, motor issues. I will quote my porsche dealer who I have bought 3 cars from, "I'll work on it, zero guarantees, good luck." With that as a PPI, I called Parin and said I would pay to have it shipped back. $1200 for nothing just to be cool. Parin is apparently out of the office for 2 days and cant deal with this. Funny, I have a signed document that says the car is 100% perfect in every way. I am shipping the car back. Anyone want to give their opinion on Chigo motorcars because so far they seem to be a chop shop.
Well nice first post, I feel your pain , but if this post isn't deleted in the next 10 minutes I'll be amazed, I hope it isn't I can't wait to see the replies to this

Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Search Feature

Old 08-01-2008, 09:48 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
Errrr............ Welcome to the world of heavily modified overboosted Porsches.

I was lucky and in an aftermarket sale ended up with just 2.5% average leakdown on all cylinders and some incredible dyno-numbers that are apparently much better than average for my performance tune.

Still had to do a stronger performance clutch, second gear, fifth gear, (plus general refresh) slave cylinder, solid mounts, PSS9's and etc.... plus some extra doodads that I wanted. Suffice to say that after about $20K in general (additional) improvements, I absolutely love the car.

Parin has a lot of generally nice stuff with a few rats. As a high volume dealer, you are likely to see a few that are cheaper for a reason or two. Flawless grocery getter doesn't mean it hasn't been repainted due to heavy track use (after which the pristine stock seats were reinstalled) and no dealer can or will advertise that that is the situation, much less post the Stage #1 and #2 over-rev numbers. The truth is that these are ridiculously strong, overbuilt cars that will run like a raped ape until such a time as they break. That's true of ANY car and when you own a high performance car, the repairs due to breakage happen faster. You will find out what needs to be done to create a CPO situation (with your friendly local Porsche dealer) after you buy the car, generally speaking.... and OH GOD how the dealers love to take a car in and return it to bone stock.... mine came with a brand new $4,500.00 factory exhaust whihc I had to rip off the car immediately in favor of a gorgeous free-flowing FVD exhaust with huge 200 cell Euro-cats. Previous owner took the car to his local dealer who was happy to "help" him with the noisy stuff.

If you're uncomfortable with the likelihood of having to do the same, I'd probably fight like hell to get the car swapped and not come back. If you honestly value the experience and want to work through it and have a really well sorted car when you're done that you know intimately, open the wallet and get the necessary work done. It's really that simple. This isn't a calling out, it's just been my experience and I have owned some 75 cars, now on my 3rd Porsche, built one as a track car, new motor and etc... and those are an adventure as well. These cars come with a strong likelihood of $5K in maintenance plus lots of little things to pick at you every year. Enjoy the car, or you won't be able to rationalize the expense. If you have to think about the ownership expense, I'd honestly consider not owning one of these cars. AS for mine..... you couldn't rip it from my cold dead fingers. I love it. Pay to play.

Welcome again,

SY

Last edited by SpeedYellow; 08-01-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
What are the issues, be more specific.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 AM
halluz is infamous around these parts
Chicago Motorcars

I purchased my 996TT from Chicago Motorcars. I paid a local(to Chicago Motorcars) Porsche dealer to do an inspection of the car before I purchased. The inspector said it was "in the best condition he'd ever seen for a used porsche" and that it only needed maintenance and a spare tire (b/c it was missing). When I got it - the spoiler servo was broken and the clutch was on life support. I noticed after driving it home that the leather interior had been pulled up and dried on part of the front passenger side pillar also. Chicago Motorcars replaced the spare for me (which I found out one flat later was broken - don't know if they knew that). They never once returned my call on the broken servo in the spoiler and I never called them about the clutch since it's a "wear and tear" item.

Also - when I got there they (Chicago Motorcars) tried to say that the car brought for trade-in - purchased new with no wrecks - had paint work done previously and tried to drop the price they were giving me by $1000 on a $14k trade in! This is after I had just driven from Texas to bring them the car. They seemed to be pretty unhappy while we were signing the paperwork so I assume that means I was actually getting a good deal.

I'm unsure how many of the problems with my car they were actually aware of. Either way - they reminded me of the typical car dealers as they are still a little bit shady. I wouldn't recommend them but I wouldn't explicitly tell any one to not go there either.

Last edited by halluz; 08-01-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:02 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Is this the white 700+ hp that they have been advertising? Markski said it was perfect in every way in a previous post if it's the same car. I wonder what happened?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Zuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Is this the white 700+ hp that they have been advertising? Markski said it was perfect in every way in a previous post if it's the same car. I wonder what happened?
I remember that too. I believe it was a Proto car? I saved a picture of the engine bay if it is the car I think, as I thought it looked real clean with the Proto style intake/maf, etc. Is this the same car?

Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2008, 01:45 PM
slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !
^also interested in the same thing.... is it the proto 996tt?

Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Old 08-01-2008, 02:32 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
You get what you pay for. These cars become real expensive quick. I always wonder what people expect from a 60k Turbo. Do your homework, buying a car sight unseen should be out of the question

Old 08-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
I can verify that this car was more taken care of then anyone's car on this board... The tune alone cost Bobby $12K for flying in Todd for 4 days and paying him XXX thousand a day to tune till Bobby was happy...
I drove this car recently in Tulsa and I even did some runs in 2nd and 3rd... That thing hummed perfectly when I saw it.
The new owner mentioned that the clutch is slipping... why didnt the independent inspection pick that up? He said that it has motor problems? like what casue last time that thing had a leak down it was all at 3%. Didnt the inspection pick that up?
If your referring to a missing spare an da broken motor for th erear wing... thats between you and the dealer.
Whatever you do do not run that car past 1 bar on pump gas... 1.2 bars on 104 octane and if ur really up to it put some straight C16 and take it up to 1.5 bars.
Then Come back and tell us what you think....
markski

PS.. This is Bobby's car...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 08-01-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:35 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by paneraiwatches
buying a car sight unseen should be out of the question
Unless the seller has integrity.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:04 PM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
Sorry to hear of your problems. For what it's worth I don't think Parin has good customer service as I've emailed him on two different occasions regarding a potential purchase and never heard a word from him. I decided that was good enough for me to stay away.

In the end, the only way I am going to buy ANY used vehicle is if it is 100% stock and still under factory warranty or CPO.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 PM
halluz is infamous around these parts
Markski -

The broken wing motor and spare were the problem I had - separate from Craig. I'm just letting everyone know my experience since Craig was curious to hear some others. And yes - it was definitely between me and the dealer - who subsequently decided to not return my calls.

paneraiwatches -

I always felt the same way - until I spoke with some porsche folks and heard we could get this independent 3rd paty (i.e. a porsche dealer) to do a CPI on it (at a cost of $375) and let you know the whole status of the car. Turns out in this case - the 3rd party was either not independent or just lazy. That said - I bought my car completely stock(and it still is for now) and I do have a warranty to take car of anything that might pop up (other than the most expensive clutch job I've ever seen). I definitely would have rather found something local - but there was just nothing at all available in Austin when I was looking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chicago Motorcars