996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

KeithTA Protomotive 997 vs. Chris Green USP 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mike@usp
Money can only take you so far. Knowledge and experience play a roll eventually.. Thanks!!
You are right on the money... and when I saw that dyno thats the first thing that came to my mind...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I would like Keitha to chime in as the 996TT (which is "similar to mine?"") should not
be able to keep up with the 997TT with GT30's on it. It looks like they were dead even
after the 996TT got the jump. It was a nice run nonetheless and the EPL car no doubt runs very strong. I would like to see some 60-130 numbers or trap speeds because we all know the roll-on game.
thanks for sharing!

MK

Old 08-02-2008, 06:58 PM
mike@usp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
I would like Keitha to chime in as the 996TT (which is "similar to mine?"") should not
be able to keep up with the 997TT with GT30's on it. It looks like they were dead even
after the 996TT got the jump. It was a nice run nonetheless and the EPL car no doubt runs very strong. I would like to see some 60-130 numbers or trap speeds because we all know the roll-on game.
thanks for sharing!

MK
Shouldnt the 30r have some more muscle to come back by at 140,160,180,190??

whats the differerence going from 60mph when the 997 cant come by at 150mph? the 996 is going to get the move no matter what on that car and according to keithta the 40 is his "sweet spot" to run from..

Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Damn....I wish Keitha chim in!

So that 996tt should lost that monster by what? 1 car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcF4RZYOBzw

Old 08-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Chris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Shotcaller
Damn....I wish Keitha chim in!

So that 996tt should lost that monster by what? 1 car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcF4RZYOBzw
i dont think i would be that close to the zo6 since me and keith coverd a lot more ground then 997 and the black zo6. I would say on that race the vett pulled the 997 about 5 cars to 160, i'm sure on the same roll the vett would get me by at least 3 cars.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:11 PM
AdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to all
in the video the 996 sounds as if it is "preloading" boosting up! before they go is that part of the two stage launch control? anyway great race! 996 rules!! LOL

Old 08-02-2008, 08:13 PM
mike@usp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AdrianM5
in the video the 996 sounds as if it is "preloading" boosting up! before they go is that part of the two stage launch control? anyway great race! 996 rules!! LOL
The launch control is from a dead stop.. a better powerband is what put the move on the 997 not launch control.. its 2-step also.. not 2 stage..

Old 08-02-2008, 08:21 PM
AdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to all
OK! I thought there was a way to use this for highway pulls as well? is this part of the EPL's tune?

Old 08-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
996 has the throttle PSM shutoff thing defeated. He is brake boosting.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:54 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Nice work!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:02 PM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Hey guys.

First off, I want to commend Chris on his shifting & on a strong running car.

2nd, I wanted to point out regardless of my feelings about the race, the old adage always holds true - "you race what you bring". Regardless of how the 2 cars were configured or driven, all excuses aside, Chris' 996TT came out in front at the end of the run.

On the other side of the token, for those of you that like to know all the race parameters to bring reason into the picture, here they are:

1) My car doesnt have any weight reduction mods. A few days ago Chris mentioned his car was lighter than mine. Im not sure if this is truly the case nor do I know what weight reduction mods were done. Just to note, Chris had his 4 wheel drive disconnected previously, but he did say it was reconnected during our race.

2) His 996 was on 19" race wheels. Before the run, he explained that they were lighter than stock by 30 - 40 lbs (dont quite recall the exact weight he mentioned). I came out on 3 piece 20" wheels that are heavier than stock. So obviously there was a difference in unsprung weight between our cars. For those of you that dont know, its been proven that wheel changes on cars can account for tenths of a second and few mph in the 1/4 mile.

3) I am still experiencing boost delays between shifts. If you want to get technical I believe during my driftbox run there was a .4 sec delay between shifts before my boost came back on. Therefore, a race that requires 3-4 shifts can mean 1.2-1.6 seconds of "off the throttle" acceleration. At speed, cars modded like ours can accelerate approx. 10 mph every 1-2 seconds....so this does create a problem. As for a fix.....I dont have the energy to figure out that issue for now so I'll wait to dive into that problem at some point in the future.
---- Here is a video of my car running a cammed ZO6. You can get a very clear idea the pause my car is experiencing between shifts. (PS - It may not look like it, but I am banging the hell out of the shifts in this video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKxqevyqJE4

3) The run that was shown on the video between Chris and I was done when my boost was set to 1.25 bar. (My lower boost run) I verified this by checking high boost reading on my profec after the run was done and realized my boost was not set to where it should have been. Chris said he was set to 1.3 bar and said the video shows this on his dash but I couldnt verify it on the video. I also know Chris' posted a thread that his 996TT dyno sheets were done at 1.35 bar. So my feeling is the boost setting on his car could have been higher or could have been lower than 1.3. Not saying that Chris isnt telling us the real picture, just trying to say that boost is a finicky thing and can fluctuate. Just to point out, I have dialed in my boost in the past so it ran between 1.28 in lower gears and held out 1.30 in 4th and 5th. .....Hours later, keeping the Profec boost controller at the exact same setting, the boost dropped off by .05 bar. Bascially, a difference of 0.1 bar (1.4 psi) of boost can mean approx. a 20-40 hp change in power on modified cars like ours. Bottom line, I cannot say how different our boost pressures were, but I know there was a discrepancy. (Under normal cicumstances, 1.4 psi of boost really doesnt matter a whole lot, but when cars that perform this close to each other go up against one another in a drag run, it can definetely mean winning or losing the race.)

Lastly,
After the 1st run was finished, I dialed my boost in higher to a flat 1.30. We lined up for a 2nd run. Since his turbos are a bit smaller than mine, his car spools up a little faster.....but outside of that both cars were locked up during the 2nd run. Well atleast all of 2nd and 3rd. When we finished 3rd, I saw his car drop back - something happened. We all pulled over. Chris broke his shifter and couldnt continue racing. So all and all - we had only 1 good run.

Again, everything I pointed out above was to give everyone a clear comparison of the conditions of the race. But again, all variables aside, after the run, Chris' 996 was the one who came out ahead.

Keith

Last edited by keithta; 08-02-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:44 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Great video guys.

I would think that you would run 3 to 5 times and see who’s car was more consistent over several runs. I believe that this is also an important aspect of tuning these cars (stability, uniformity, and regularity).

When we go on runs with 6 to 12 cars we run through a ½ tank of gas over a 60 minute period which accounts for 10 to 20 runs. You really expose the good, the bad and the ugly in these circumstances.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Chris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ari
996 has the throttle PSM shutoff thing defeated. He is brake boosting.
There was no brake boosting done on any of the runs. The 2nd race we went I pulled one car in the video by the end of 3erd but I broke the shifter going into 3erd so I could not shift 4th.

I told keith we would go again (maybe this weekend) and we will try his car on some more boost to see what it can do.

Chris Green

Last edited by Chris Green; 08-03-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Cool. The cars are pretty evenly matched in my book. I'm loving the fact that so many new options are coming to 996 tuning. Launch control being on my short list.

Originally Posted by Chris Green
There was no brake boosting done on any of the runs. The 2nd race we went I pulled one car in the video by the end of 3erd but I broke the shifter going into 3erd so I could not shift 4th.

I told keith we would go again (maybe this weekend) and we will try his car on some more boost to see what it can do.

Chris Green

Old 08-03-2008, 01:10 AM
C6 Z06 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chris Green
i dont think i would be that close to the zo6 since me and keith coverd a lot more ground then 997 and the black zo6. I would say on that race the vett pulled the 997 about 5 cars to 160, i'm sure on the same roll the vett would get me by at least 3 cars.
didn't you already loose to a black C6 Z06 on a 200 shot this friday past night?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: KeithTA Protomotive 997 vs. Chris Green USP 996