996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

KeithTA Protomotive 997 vs. Chris Green USP 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:06 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Also,

the USP guys game with their A game. They obviously know what they are doing!

Good fun!

MK

Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 PM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Woodster:
I run 1.25-1.3 bar with 103 octane. Todd said that the car may run out of fuel at higher boost levels over 1.3. He said he wasnt comfortable running it at a higher level as we were at the max threashhold of what the stock fuel system can handle on my car. Im keeping it no higher than 1.3 for saftey reasons. I know that most of the 996 and 997 turbo guys run their boost levels quite a bit higher than 1.3 especially when theyre running smaller turbos then me. Just dont think it would be smart to run it any higher considering the CFM the 3071s flow and also due the fact that my internals are stock. By the way, I believe you are on stock internals. Where do you run your boost levels on your car in race mode and what turbos are you running?

Markski:
I guess I wasnt clear.....I did have a freind in the passenger seat holding the Profec in his hand reading off the sustained boost pressures as we ran through the gears. Also my limit is set to 1.36 bar.

Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Good Advice from Markski!

Also, your car should start to come alive ABOVE 1.3 bar, not peak of 1.3.
You are running at junior varsity boost levels. You need at least 1.4 bar.
It will really wake up then. I of course am talking about with Race Gas which is
what one should race with...Race gas.

Last edited by keithta; 08-03-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:41 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
To Boost or not to Boost ?? !!

Keith,

I run up to a peak (on the Greddy) of 1.44 bar. I run exclusively MS109 unleaded from
VP Racing fuels. I have the extra fuel pump on my car and Todd's complete fuel system.
I understand that the 997TT has an amazing stock fuel system but I do not know how high you can run safely. I actually ran my highest boost ever at the TX Mile which was by far the hardest longest run on my car. I turn the boost down at Road Courses so that it peaks under 1.3 bar (I target a peak of 1.25 to 1.29). Using consistent fuel
(in my case, I buy sealed drums direct from VP local distributor), and I watch the peak boost every time I go out. In Minnesota, we have huge daily swings in temp, (ex. it may
be 64 degrees early in the am and 94 later in the day). I just know from what Todd told me that your car should beat that other car (which should be "similar" to my car).
I also know that anyone that has run a 10 second quarter, or a fast 60-130 (say sub 6.5 second), has run MORE than peak boost of 1.3 bar, and has run on 18" or 17" !!!!!!!!! drag radials. I may have the quickest/fastest quarter mile run on 19" (11.03 at 134.5 mph).
I also would "guesstimate that
Chris (who's car is very well "optimized") HAS to be running more than 1.3 PEAK and is running race gas.
My car is stock internals and 50,000 miles, 20,000 really hard ones.

Good luck,

MK

Last edited by WOODTSTER; 08-03-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:59 PM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bonehead
Think he was referring to Keith's 20's as a disadvantage.
Huge disadvantage. I don't care how good they look (19s or 20s), I only roll on 18s.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:54 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Nice Race...but something is not right imho...

I dont beleive that 700whp P-car can be slower the 637whp P-car...of course weight and wheels play important role but not that much...

Stock or lightweight 19s will be nice addition to that 997...

Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 AM
The wheels did not lose the RACE...give me a break!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 AM
mike@usp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT RUS
Nice Race...but something is not right imho...

I dont beleive that 700whp P-car can be slower the 637whp P-car...of course weight and wheels play important role but not that much...

Stock or lightweight 19s will be nice addition to that 997...
PeakHP doesnt win races.. Powerband does.. Same reason why alot 1000hp supras run 10's.. Yet a 800hp supra setup correctly run 9's.. hope that analogy cleared things up for you..

Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 AM

True.. +1

Old 08-04-2008, 11:22 AM
mannytt is infamous around these partsmannytt is infamous around these parts
sweet vid

Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
seems like something was up with the 30 car... should be quicker than that? Prolly some issues as marksi pointed out... Nice run tho!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

For sure. First of all, there was no lack in traction by either car from the speed that they started, and secondly, the stock 19's on the 997 Turbo are heavy pigs. If his 20's are forged, there is a VERY VERY good chance they are lighter than stock. So the everall weight(wheels/tires wont have been changed much.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:51 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mike@usp
PeakHP doesnt win races.. Powerband does.. Same reason why alot 1000hp supras run 10's.. Yet a 800hp supra setup correctly run 9's.. hope that analogy cleared things up for you..
Different dyno, different conditions but, looking at both cars dyno graphs,
USP hits 600whp around 4800rpms and maintains roughly around 600whp all the way to 7k rpms.
Looking at the 997s dyno, hits 600whp around 4800 and continues all the up to 700whp and tappers to 650 at 7k rpms.
If you're going through the gears, I dont think both cars are below 5k rpms and the 997 definitely has a better power band.
Am I missing something?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by geetee
Different dyno, different conditions but, looking at both cars dyno graphs,
USP hits 600whp around 4800rpms and maintains roughly around 600whp all the way to 7k rpms.
Looking at the 997s dyno, hits 600whp around 4800 and continues all the up to 700whp and tappers to 650 at 7k rpms.
If you're going through the gears, I dont think both cars are below 5k rpms and the 997 definitely has a better power band.
Am I missing something?

Your not missing anything you covered it 100%.. If we race dyno graphs the 997 could be faster.. however 2 different dynos, 2 different cars, 2 different things happen on the street as well.. Including different loads on the car etc.. The Real World Powerband on the 996 is clearly better.. The instant move on the 997 + the power to hold him off was pretty clear to me..

Old 08-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mike@usp
The Real World Powerband on the 996 is clearly better.. The instant move on the 997 + the power to hold him off was pretty clear to me..
In this case yes. But your comparing two different cars tuned by two different tuners.... with different set ups and drivers... etc...
Does that mean if a 997TT beats a 996 then the 997 has better real world power band? I doubt it... What if the car gets looked at and another driver gets in it and throws some 18 inch rims.. and what if the outcomes is different?
It seems like he didnt know what he is getting himself into.... and just assumed his car is fast.... you guys are a shop with cars running 9s... I doubt your still reading up on the application of the greddy boost controller like Keith is.
But that doesnt explain nor excuse the fact that he lost. Nor am I defending the other side... I franky told him 6 months ago to have someone pressure test the car or have someone local take a look at it. I actually told him to see you guys.... looks like he didint take my advice.
BTW, his car doesn't have the big GT3076rs with .82s... he has the gt3071s...

best to all,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-04-2008, 02:19 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Maybe with equal power, the 996 TT just utilizes it better. That's been known to happen. For example when the base C6 came out it had 400 hp just like the C5 Z06, but the C5Z's would pull the C6 every time.

Fact of the matter is that the cars are pretty much even in acceleration viewing the vid, the 996 just gets out faster, probably just a faster spool up. But 700 rwhp vs 637 rwhp on two different dynos is negligable on the street.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: KeithTA Protomotive 997 vs. Chris Green USP 996