996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

KeithTA Protomotive 997 vs. Chris Green USP 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 12:17 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Yep, I ran 6.99 @ 107 in the 1/8th on my 10.65 @ 136 run.

Great job, Chris!
Yep, I only made one pass in my previous GT2 and it ran 108 1/8 and 137 1/4 just rolling it out with a 2.1 60 ft with an 11.2.

Will be interesting to see if your back half picks up the mph that my gt3076's did. If it does, great testament to the K24's....

Old 08-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trevor Harmon
Nice seeing some quick Porsche's out there. Get some more seat time at the drag strip and I can see your times plummeting, Wes.
Yeah, I decided to go to the track about 4:30 and drove it out there with a full tank of gas as it sat in the garage. My first trip to the drag strip in probably 2-3 years. There's definately a few tenths in the launch alone, I logged every run using the Performance box and other than a few botched launches, my shifts where quite quick. The car goes 0-60 in 3.5 on the street, the track was 4.1-4.6, so if the short times go down as much it should be a low 11 second car for sure on pump gas. I may be out tomorrow or next Friday, unfortunately after that the car will likely have a new owner as project Jenny Craig 996 begins

Last edited by onelove; 08-07-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 AM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chris Green
Yea, that was the first and only pass I ran. I broke the shift linkage when I through 3rd gear but managed to trap 107mph in the 1/8th
Chris - Can you post an image of the time slip showing your 1/8 @ 107?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:17 AM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Chris and his crew at USP went through my car and performed a pressure test starting from the turbos and didnt find any leaks. However they did find other problems. Here is the email from Chris I recieved Thursday afternoon after he finished inspecting the car:

"After thoroughly inspecting the car, my technicians and I noticed several problems with the car as well as flaws in the current turbo system. To start off all of the vacuum lines on the car are flimsy rubber that kink easily and expand substantially under boost pressure. Moving on to the main issue, the diverter valve (blow off valve) setup. This is the center of your problem. As you will see in the pictures below the diverter valves are placed a couple inches away from the compressor wheel on the compressor housing. This is the worst possible place to put them because not only are you recirculating hot air back into the intakes but you are also releasing all of the compressed air inside the turbo when you shift, hence your lag issue after a shift. In addition to the diverter valves location being a problem, the boost lines that go to the valves are flimsy and kinked. I also noticed on the passenger side diverter valve the intercooler bracket has begun to wear through a piece of the aluminum piping and it is only a matter of time before it goes all the way through and creates a substantial boost leak. Now, for the boost controller problem. The pressure source for the boost controller is being pulled from the cold side of the passenger side intercooler. Instead, the boost controller pressure source should be within 6 inches of the outlet on the turbo’s compressor housing since boost pressure on the cold and hot side of the intercooler will vary slightly. This would account for why the boost controller would not be consistent and it would constantly need to be adjusted to run a certain boost pressure. After finding all of this we thoroughly inspected the turbo inlet pipes and found that they are crushed almost entirely in certain spots. It is possible for us to make them out of aluminum piping but will be very labor intensive. However, the performance and throttle response that will come along with the aluminum turbo inlet pipes will make it well worth it." ---------- END OF EMAIL.

Since he didnt mention this in the email, Id figured Id add this in......there were leaks in both of the air ducting hoses that were connected off my airbox leading to the turbo compressors AFTER the mass air sensor. Which means my car was drawing in extra outside air after the mass air sensors already measured the air flow. I wonder how badly thats throwing off my air/fuel ratios?? That may be the reason why my car was tripping MAP errors on the ECU when Todd was dynoing my car. I also had a few MAP errors showing on my ECU from some personal tests I ran and had experienced TONS of boost shut downs while driving where the car refused to make more than 5 psi of boost. Every time this would happen, I would have to recycle the key to clear the fault to get normal boost levels back.

After a few suggestions from Markski, I also found through tests myself that my Profec was bringing the boost in gradually rather than slamming my peak number immedietaly. I tweaked some settings and improved the delivery of my boost.

I will discuss this further with Chris and decide on what to do.

Keith

Old 08-08-2008, 06:43 AM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
Good luck Keith. At least you have discovered what could be wrong and now you can fix it. As for what to do next, let me help:

1) Fix it
2) Challenge the Batmobile Z06 to another race
3) Race Chris Green's USP again

Old 08-08-2008, 09:14 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
^^^^ LOL !! Exactly my thoughts, your car is limping now it will really shine soon.

Good luck!

MK

Old 08-08-2008, 10:26 AM
mike@usp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SleeperX
Good luck Keith. At least you have discovered what could be wrong and now you can fix it. As for what to do next, let me help:

1) Fix it
Batmobile race outcome wont change, I can assure you of that.. he has way too much MPH and instant HP..

Old 08-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mike@usp
Batmobile race outcome wont change, I can assure you of that.. he has way too much MPH and instant HP..
Batmobile is bad azz!!!

Is it stroker or just forged rods/pistons?...Can i ask who built it? QualityMotorsport?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:18 PM
C6 Z06 is infamous around these parts

1) Fix it
batmobile doesnt have the Z06 anymore but i believe their is a yellow one in miami with his same setup roaming around

Old 08-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !

1) Fix it
agreed. Chris will take care of you.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 PM
slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !
congrats....great run... 996 really moves...

Old 08-08-2008, 08:54 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
are all those problems with a factory set up car?

Old 08-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Chris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by boca996tt
are all those problems with a factory set up car?
No the car(997) has gt 30's on the it.

Chris Green

Old 08-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Sherbaz is infamous around these parts
Good job chris... I will be home in dec and can't wait to get my setup rolling aswell.