996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need help Diagnosing an issue...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Need help Diagnosing an issue...

So yesterday during our little HybridZ.org cookout, I gave one of the attendees a quick ride in the car. We warmed the oil at normal low revs and then after the oil was at 180 degrees I got on it a couple of times... However, coming back to my house, 1/4 mile from my driveway I'm doing maybe 40mph in 5th gear when I hear a loud and sustained PSSSSST accompanied by a clanking, like something is hitting an axle or wheel... When we got into my driveway I stopped and got out, letting the car run... No noise... Car was running fine... So I pulled up my long driveway (I can reach 70mph in my driveway) and pulled out in 1st and 2nd and saw I'm making boost... No noise anymore... I'm open for any areas to check, because this is a first for me...

Mike

Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Any chance it was road debris? Crap sliding along the ground causing the noise against the underside???

Just WAGing...and a bump...

A

Old 08-03-2008, 10:39 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I am jealous. You can hit 70MPH in your driveway. Mine is 20 feet long. I do not know about your car, but man I would love to have a driveway like yours. Lets see some pictures of this driveway!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'll have to dig up a few pics, but a couple 6speeders were here yesterday for a cookout and they can attest to the length of the driveway...Sean 996 and Berk stopped in for a while and we were diagnosing the car...We walked down the driveway checking for fluids.

Anyone got any clues???

Mike

Old 08-04-2008, 04:21 PM
I believe we found it...

The intake inlet hose to the turbo on the passenger side was HAND LOOSE. I actually removed it when I gave it a tug.

Be very careful when lowering your tranny or motor, and you track guys should be checking all your hoses ASAP between events... I could have KILLED my turbo, and clearly had something clang around the inlet side... Fortunately the impeller blades weren't damages at all, and we didn't ingest anything, as the motor is running fine.

Mike

Old 08-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I believe we found it...

The intake inlet hose to the turbo on the passenger side was HAND LOOSE. I actually removed it when I gave it a tug.

Be very careful when lowering your tranny or motor, and you track guys should be checking all your hoses ASAP between events... I could have KILLED my turbo, and clearly had something clang around the inlet side... Fortunately the impeller blades weren't damages at all, and we didn't ingest anything, as the motor is running fine.

Mike
Hi...Glad you found it... Mine had come loose before and the motor would run very ruff. Tim

Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 AM
Here are a few pics of the driveway... It's over 500ft. of asphault, according to google-earth.

From the corner of the house looking away from the side load garage...

Entering the driveway from the street!

Passing the front of the house...

In winter...

And my "other" driveway... From the entrance of my shop, looking up towards the paved driveway...

Originally Posted by robertp
I am jealous. You can hit 70MPH in your driveway. Mine is 20 feet long. I do not know about your car, but man I would love to have a driveway like yours. Lets see some pictures of this driveway!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:39 AM
Actually looks small in the pics, but it's almost 3K sqr.ft. and two levels on five+ acres! It's like living in a park!

Mike

Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 AM
maxboost is infamous around these partsmaxboost is infamous around these parts
country boy

Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 AM
I took the car for a spin today and it ran just fine. However, I "hear" what sounds like an open vacuum leak when the car is sitting idle in my driveway with the rear hatch open. Don't know if this has always been here or not... Trying to sort it... Took the Durometric and did a scan after a 10 minute run with several 1.2bar pulls in 4th and 6th gear... No codes.

Mike

Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Mike! Pave and connect the back driveway too! You'd have
your own autocross/mini paved rally stage! Just keep the
kids and pets indoors... *I'd do it!*
Joe

Old 08-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Joe, we're actually thinking about doing one better... Paving up and around the back of the shop so I can pull my enclosed car trailer up and around the shop, then parking it beside it... That would give one half of the "loop" effect... Then I'd have to make another round-about!

Can you say shifter carts?

Mike

Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
I was away to say that too, lets all head to Mikes, he has his own track, lol

Mike, every nut/bolt on my car is marked (paint) just to show signs of any movement, it's worth doing as my spanner guys have had to tighten up the odd nut/bolt after every track meet. Just a thought mate!

Old 08-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Stevo, You're dead nuts on it... I used to do this with my motorcycles and should be doing this with this pig.

I have a sucking noise I need to ID, and no, it isn't my wife...
Mike

Old 08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Stevo, You're dead nuts on it... I used to do this with my motorcycles and should be doing this with this pig.

I have a sucking noise I need to ID, and no, it isn't my wife...
Mike
LMFAO

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help Diagnosing an issue...