996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo gurus, please chime in...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:22 PM
kcphuah is infamous around these partskcphuah is infamous around these parts
Turbo gurus, please chime in...

Current setup: AP650 kit just installed, this kit utilize ball bearing garrette turbos and external wastegate

Car has about 22000 miles on it, before installation the car was running on speed gallery 550 hybrid turbo kit. After the install of the 650 kit, the car is pulling stronger and my boost peak at about 1.25 bar at 94 octane. The problem I now have is my right side of the turbo is smoking!! Not a good sign, to me that means some where or some part is burning oil. It happens when i drive around and park for about 10 minutes and start the engine, the right exhaust would puff out blue smoke ( this happens ONLY to the right side turbo or at least coming from right side exhaust ). And when the car is idling from cold start, it will be normal until about 8-10 minutes once engine is warmed up, it will puff out smoke occasionally.

After boosting and driving the on the freeway, no smoke for the first couple of minutes and then smoke puffing out on and off when I have the engine idling and watch behind from the rear.

Dan @ vivid racing is working closely with me to tackle this problem, but I just want to get some more feedbacks from the turbo gurus and see where else the problem may be. Thanks for viewing.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Hi.... When you installed the kit did all the parts in factory check valves go back in? I assume that they use the factory tops and tial lower to fit the gt28s'...Tim

Old 08-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
Hi.... When you installed the kit did all the parts in factory check valves go back in? I assume that they use the factory tops and tial lower to fit the gt28s'...Tim
My installer used the check valve that is sent off by Vivid racing to go on top of the garrette turbos. What do you mean tial lower to fit the gt28?

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
OIl is leaking from some fitting.... no big deal... worst case scenario is that the turbo is blown...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
ZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
OIl is leaking from some fitting.... no big deal... worst case scenario is that the turbo is blown...

Yep, check your oil levels frequently. If the levels start decreasing at a more rapid rate than usual then the fittings may have worked their way loose. It's good practice to retighten everything after the initial install to make sure they are back to torque specs.

Didn't you mention before that due to how the wastegate was misconfigured with the Greddy solenoid that the turbos were heavily overboosting? Over speeding the impellers may also cause the turbos seals to wear prematurely and allow oil leaks to enter the compressor side. Check the compressor side hoses to verify if their are traces of oil.

Last edited by ZIP22; 08-04-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:01 PM
The oil indicator is showing a loss or use of oil, i remembered last week there was 4 bar remaining from the bottom and now there is 3 bar from bottom. In terms of fitting gotten loose, there would be oil stain around the turbo or wastergate but my turbo and wastegate are clean, with no signs of external leak at all. I am sure this is an internal leak somewhere.

And yes EG, the motor was overboosting at one time when we are hooking up the EBC, and as you know there were some error in clarifying to how to hook up the EBC. Anyways, I did a leak down test and there was no damage done to the engine, fortunately. That being said, I have got a new turbo cartridge from vivid and replace the previous catridge that may have broken seal.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Turbo is blown, do you mean the seal of the turbo's catridge?

Originally Posted by MARKSKI

Old 08-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Sounds like the turbo is shot. Have Dan send you another turbo...that should solve the problem.

I've heard that Garrett turbos smoke when they go bad...this is caused by oil leaking into the turbine / exhaust and burning...thus the blue smoke.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Dan is sending me a turbo catridge to swap out the current one. Do you think this is exchaning the catridge will solve the internal oil leak?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
My dealer just changed my oil and put too much in. I smoked all the way home. Emabarrasing. That's the last time they change my oil...

Old 08-04-2008, 10:13 PM
To my understanding, too much oil will cause the seal to break due to the excessive pressure. By the way, I am wondering if there is a proper way to determine how much oil is to be added.

Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
My dealer just changed my oil and put too much in. I smoked all the way home. Emabarrasing. That's the last time they change my oil...

Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
RPM - we use actual Garrett turbos, not the EVO Tial hybrid things. So these are Garrett GT2860rs turbos with the Garret flanges. That is why our kits come with new headers and exhaust adapters.

Our kits include the proper oil reducer that goes into the turbo and between that and the engine block is a check valve that has a 5psi ball/spring mechanism and a steel braided oil line. They need to be tight and tested. Once all installed.

That being said, Ken and I are working out the details. The problem lies on installers not checking there work. Turbos are not shipped bad. If you dont put a fitting in correct or have the turbo clocked a certain way, or even mis install the boost controller, these can cause issues. Unfortunately its hard to find good shops to do work.

RPM since you are in WA, hit Ken up.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
RPM - we use actual Garrett turbos, not the EVO Tial hybrid things. So these are Garrett GT2860rs turbos with the Garret flanges. That is why our kits come with new headers and exhaust adapters.

Our kits include the proper oil reducer that goes into the turbo and between that and the engine block is a check valve that has a 5psi ball/spring mechanism and a steel braided oil line. They need to be tight and tested. Once all installed.

That being said, Ken and I are working out the details. The problem lies on installers not checking there work. Turbos are not shipped bad. If you dont put a fitting in correct or have the turbo clocked a certain way, or even mis install the boost controller, these can cause issues. Unfortunately its hard to find good shops to do work.

RPM since you are in WA, hit Ken up.
I really don't understand why some people have to climb over others to get up the ladder? "EVO, Tial Hybrid things?" That is a real mouthful! Are you attempting to disparage EVO, TIAL or both? I really don't get it because both companies have products that exceed in some areas. For anyone to claim they are the cats meow for all would be .

I believe I was the first to use TIAL on a 996tt (that and $2.00 will buy me a cup of coffee) and have also used Garrett's from their 25's thru 40's. Both products have there applications. To my knowledge Todd Knighten was the first to introduce us to Garrett's to the 996tt with Wilbur's car. As for EVO, Todd Z and I have had our disagreements but I use many of his products (he also has my respect) where I believe he has the best product. I can't recall any Vivid Racing parts utilized in KA, but then again I believe KA has been around a tad bit longer than VR and maybe you do have some products I could be interested in. However, knocking others really turns any interest I could have off. I don't knock anyone unless the guy is a crook. I just believe people who sell products or services and degrade others make themselves look bad. It looks much better when your customers beat your drum for you instead of having to do it yourself. If a company does someone a bad turn or has a bad product, we all usually hear about it from that person, not his competitor.

Last edited by cjv; 08-05-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Hey Chad,don't see ya around here much anymore,how's the car coming along?

Old 08-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Sounds like a turbo seal to me; turbo might need rebuilding.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo gurus, please chime in...