996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Buy AP droplinks at your own risk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
Buy AP droplinks at your own risk

I should have listened to others. After having my front end sound like it's falling off because AP droplinks won't stay tight, removing my front wheels 10+ times over the last couple of months to tighten them . . . you guessed it, my right front droplink broke. What a waste of 200+ bucks. Having to jack the car up and removing and installing the wheels was more of a pain then losing the money.

Dan at Vivid (after this thread, I guess I won't be receiving any refund from AP/Vivid) was nice enough to send these overnight to be matched up to GT3 sways. They immediately started loosening up and had to be retightened weekly if not earlier. After loosening up so many times I was not sure if they were properly adjusted for 0 preload so today I was taking my wheels off to set them up with 0 preload and loctite the length adjusting nut as well as install an extra nut to lock them together.

That's when I found the broken droplink. Now I know why they were so quiet. The clunking I always got was on the right side, even tho both sides loosened up.

So buy at your own risk. Time to go buy real droplinks.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:32 AM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
That sounds like a real pain in the ***. Hope you get it worked out soon.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:46 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Ken, not going to comment on the links, I have never had these before, I'm sure Dan will come on and give some feedback. I have to admit it is one product that I have had a lot of bad experiences with. I have purchased a few sets of drop links from reputable companies and had a them all snap on me it is nothing new. What I will say and I have said this a million times now, the TRG Drop links for the front and the Tarrets for the rear have never once gave me any issues, now 2 to 3 years of hammering the car around tracks all over Europe.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:03 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Sorry for your trouble, the way your car is set up can affect whether or not
the drop links fail. I have the Tarretts (spelling?), and they are ROCK solid.

MK

Old 08-10-2008, 01:32 AM
ZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond repute
Get some TRG goodness...

Old 08-10-2008, 03:19 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
That's the ones!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I've got the same setup as Stevo and I've noticed them loosen up a time or two on one end lock nut or the other. I put a small tab of blue Loctite on and they stopped loosening up...

Mike

Old 08-10-2008, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I've got the same setup as Stevo and I've noticed them loosen up a time or two on one end lock nut or the other. I put a small tab of blue Loctite on and they stopped loosening up...

Mike
Agreed, if you align the drop link so that the spherical bearing is centered, this will give the bearing good even movement throughout, it's fine tightening these up but if not evenly aligned and the drop link is not best quality this is when these will snap. What I tend to do is tighten (not over tighten) so that there can be a little movement, so the everything can kind of bed in and adjust itself then I check and re-tighten.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
looks like the top of the rod end broke. been out of town for 6 days and have not seen an email or anything about his.

All you have to do is contact me and I will send you out a replacement. You can see it is the rod end that snapped off not the center CNC machine part that we make. The problem is that when guys run these GT3 bars, you are trying to stretch it to the furthest whole possible I bet. It also looks to me based on your pictures that you have 996C2 links, not links for a turbo, do you have a turbo? Call me and your problem will be solved.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
No looseness so far. I have H&R sways with the AP links...but will be checking. Nothing as of this AM. On the car for about 3 months. Some DE. Etc.