996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OEM gt2 bumper install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Banned
cfi_luz is infamous around these parts
OEM gt2 bumper install

I'm getting ready to order the OEM gt2 bumper setup. I was wondering if anyone had any information or resources about the actual swap? I know you need to flip the radiator over, etc. but any other info I could get would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
FACTORY GT2 Bumper Cover at WHOLESALE pricing.

http://www.cantrellmotorsports.com

I am acquiring mine there as this is being typed.

FACTORY pieces vs cheap flimsy alternatives that shatter on impact. Buy only the Porsche factory parts. Must do the large rear wing due to all the excess downforce on the front end, though.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Old 08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cfi_luz
I'm getting ready to order the OEM gt2 bumper setup. I was wondering if anyone had any information or resources about the actual swap? I know you need to flip the radiator over, etc. but any other info I could get would be appreciated! Thanks!
alot more to it than I thought. new raditator, ducts, brackets etc.

dont know how many people have actually already done this but my guy (ViperBob) has done it and did mine. I would check with him... Vortex Motorsports 813 8741911

great upgrade BTW!!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Banned
Thanks guys, the quote i got from Suncoast was ~4600 for bumper and all the misc pieces. I don't think you need a new radiator, I thought you could just flip the center one over and reuse it? I'll keep looking though.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:01 PM
AdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to all
I'm also interested in what parts are needed for the full gt2 frt bumper conversion. I already have the bumper just need to find out what else is needed?

Thanks
Adrian

Old 08-12-2008, 01:42 PM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
call sharky. he's done this more than anyone.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
It would be nice if someone would post a DIY with all the part #s needed.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 PM
tme
tme is infamous around these parts
You also need to modify the oil lines that go through the firewall.... my guy plasma welded extensions on so they could be connected. It's alot of work to do it right and I believe Sharky has done the most.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned
Why would you need to modify where the oil lines go through the firewall? I can see lengthing the lines maybe but that seems a bit extreme, do you know if its absolutely necessary? Thanks

Old 08-13-2008, 02:53 PM
tme
I did mean lengthen, the 996TT oil lines don't reach once you rearrange the radiators so he lengthened the tubes that come through the firewall by plasma welding the same part onto the piece that was there.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:53 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I "think" you mean TIG welded... So why wouldn't he just have replaced the rubber lines? Or are they aluminum? I just recently started removing the undertray placstics on my car while working on the suspension and found a lot of aluminum lines where I'd have expected any other car maker to cheap out and go "rubber"...

Mike

Old 08-14-2008, 09:30 AM
tme
to do the rubber (which connects to the metal piece) and get the longer version you have to do the whole thing which runs the length of the car plus. It was easier and cheaper extending the metal piece than buying and installing the new oil line. I dont know welding at all but he said it was something special to make sure it would never have an issue and or leak.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Banned
Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder if just going with the urethane replica version that Suncoast also sells (made by NR Auto) might not be a better choice. Don't get me wrong, I like OEM quality and want to retain proper aero. characteristics, but it seems to be a huge job and one which no one seems to be willing to share all the needed info. I'd love to do a write up on this but I can't be without my car for months while I figure out all the missing pieces half way through the job.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:48 AM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
This does seem like quite a bit of work for what is probably just for looks more so than performance. I would go non OEM, but that's just me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM gt2 bumper install