996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

advice for 6speed tranny rebuild for 700+ hp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:41 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarNerd
O man... I'll ask my tuner today what a tranny rebuild costs when i drop my GT3 off.

$4500 in parts sounds high. What does it include?
That would be great - thanks.

Can't remember exactly what the parts included beyond 1st and 2nd gear syncros. It might have included the cryogenic treatment that we discussed as well... I need to confirm.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:52 PM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
If you want somebody who does this all day long go to the nearest Porsche or Rolex GS or GT race. When I help with the GS/GT crew there is a guy who travels with the circuit and rebuilts 996 transmissions. One of the GS cars lost a transmission during testing-we had a new one next day.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:32 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kennyjr748
Damn Dave- sorry to hear the transmission is getting worse. I would start by getting more estimates...
what's included with the $4500?
Yeah I am workin on that. Just talked to Rob @ S-Car-Go. It's really tough to tell what I need until it is taken apart and what is determined is reusable and what is not I guess....

Old 08-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
depends on what you want to do with the car? drag racing street or track?

I added the cooler for the track and need it!! as ard pointed out.

upgraded the 3-6 syncros but 1 and 2 are very expensive and I dont really use those gears.

looked into different R+P opinions but they looked too weak for that kind of power.

the gearing again is track specific.

one wrong missed shift and any tranny is done. also heel toe rev matching is important.

I upgraded to the Guard LSD and also a stronger billet tranny cover, both great upgrades.

I think MARKSKI's advise may be the best.

I am a street guy 99% of the time. I will eventually do a 1/4 mile I think and would like to try a road course once. Time will tell if I get hooked on either since I have done neither.

Yeah I keep hearing about the one missed shift thing, so maybe I just rebuild to stock (many 700+ hp cars seem to be doing just fine with stock tranny) and try to not miss a shift in the future! Bummer about the 1st and 2nd gear syncros being the most expensive as that apparently is what I need.

Thanks Tom. I enjoy your posts.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:36 AM
So I searched more threads on here about this issue (even after the hour+ of reading the 231 posts on the 2nd gear pop-out sticky).

I see a few things mentioned here and there about the Porsche service bulletin for the 2001 manual tranny and a TSB # (10002977) but I don't see much (if any) evidence of people citing this when going to the dealership.

Anyone have an explanation for this? I found a few sites (edmunds.com for one) that cited this number and same basic info but no details.

Is it possible for me to take this to a dealership armed with this and give it a shot? Hmmm...

thanks

Old 08-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
shot peen and cryo treat. call Carequip in Colorado.

GL

Suman

Old 08-14-2008, 09:33 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68

I see a few things mentioned here and there about the Porsche service bulletin for the 2001 manual tranny and a TSB # (10002977) but I don't see much (if any) evidence of people citing this when going to the dealership.

Anyone have an explanation for this? I found a few sites (edmunds.com for one) that cited this number and same basic info but no details.

Is it possible for me to take this to a dealership armed with this and give it a shot? Hmmm...

thanks

Have you read it?

Essentially it is a detailed work/inspection INSTRUCTION for the dealer to apply to the transmission once it is out and disassembled to determine how bad they will screw you.

In other words, it is not a "recall". It isn't even a TSB saying 'we know there is a defect, here is what to do to fix it'....

First, unless you have a warranty by porsche, forget it. It only applies if there is a warranty.

Second, you are on the hook for removal and dissassembly....then they apply the TSB to discern if the problem was caused by an assembly error or a missed shift. It isn't entirely clear what happens if there was an assembly issue that CAUSED a missed shift which then causes the tell-tale wear. (Others may have more info), The problem is, once they have you on the hook for $5k, they say "your problem, pay us another $5k to put your tranny back together". Plus once they know you are paying, hour rates can be 150% of book time. In the rare event you have a Porsche warranty, no over-revs, no mods, a decent SA, and the inspection indicates it was a factory defect, Porsche will pay for all of it.

In short? Fageddaboudit

A

Old 08-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Highhats
shot peen and cryo treat. call Carequip in Colorado.

GL

Suman
Thanks Suman. I will give them a call.

Have you read it?

Essentially it is a detailed work/inspection INSTRUCTION for the dealer to apply to the transmission once it is out and disassembled to determine how bad they will screw you.

In other words, it is not a "recall". It isn't even a TSB saying 'we know there is a defect, here is what to do to fix it'....

First, unless you have a warranty by porsche, forget it. It only applies if there is a warranty.

Second, you are on the hook for removal and dissassembly....then they apply the TSB to discern if the problem was caused by an assembly error or a missed shift. It isn't entirely clear what happens if there was an assembly issue that CAUSED a missed shift which then causes the tell-tale wear. (Others may have more info), The problem is, once they have you on the hook for $5k, they say "your problem, pay us another $5k to put your tranny back together". Plus once they know you are paying, hour rates can be 150% of book time. In the rare event you have a Porsche warranty, no over-revs, no mods, a decent SA, and the inspection indicates it was a factory defect, Porsche will pay for all of it.

In short? Fageddaboudit

A
No, I haven't read the details because I couldn't find them anywhere. Googled it several times. Anyway, I guess that explains it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:33 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Thanks Suman. I will give them a call.

No, I haven't read the details because I couldn't find them anywhere. Googled it several times. Anyway, I guess that explains it. Thanks for the heads-up.
Oh, sorry. I assume that everyone has scarfed up the TSBs from renntech. PM me your email if you need copies.

It really isn't abundantly clear how all these TSBs interact, but the end result is PCNA tries to get out of as much repair work as possible...

A

Old 08-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by ard
Oh, sorry. I assume that everyone has scarfed up the TSBs from renntech. PM me your email if you need copies.

It really isn't abundantly clear how all these TSBs interact, but the end result is PCNA tries to get out of as much repair work as possible...

A
Do you mean rennlist? I shoulda checked there too but didn't think of it.

I guess since I am out of warranty it's no use trying the TSB route.

thanks for the info.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 PM
ard
Do you mean rennlist? I shoulda checked there too but didn't think of it.

I guess since I am out of warranty it's no use trying the TSB route.

thanks for the info.
renntech.org

To get the good stuff you need to join... a few $. Unlike rennlist that gets you squat for your $, you actually can get TSBs, etc, etc.

A

Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by ard
renntech.org

To get the good stuff you need to join... a few $. Unlike rennlist that gets you squat for your $, you actually can get TSBs, etc, etc.

A
Oh very cool. Thanks for that.