996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Those with over 50k miles....what mech issues have you experienced?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:31 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Those with over 50k miles....what mech issues have you experienced?

curious what mechanical issues people have had as mileage increases...

other then standard wear/maintenance items...

TIA

Old 08-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
You've seen my car first hand. 60k and counting. Runs like a top.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
thats what I like to hear!

btw, are you going to the EPL track day in Oct?

Old 08-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Weekday + lebanon valley makes it a tough one for me. I won't know until we get a bit closer with the schedule. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Is there a set date for EPL's track day?

Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
wachuko is infamous around these parts
Old 08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by wachuko
this is great, thanks!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
Is there a set date for EPL's track day?
yes, Oct.10th

Link:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...agday-gtg.html

Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I just had my first mechanical failure in over 6 years and 83,000 miles. The water cooled radiator for the oil tank has two pressed in aluminum tubes of which one became worn/loose and popped out. It was a major repair due to location - the motor had to come out. The other side has an identical fitting which would not budge with vice grips, so one side was probably not seated well from the beginning. IMO, it was an odd part to fail. Quite a record though - this car has been used a lot and driven hard and it just had it's first breakdown. Unfortunately, parts don't last forever...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 08-13-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:36 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Talking

Originally Posted by audikp
COOL. I'm in!!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
I just got rid of my car with 63,000 miles. In the past 5 months or so I had to do a new clutch, new brakes, 60k mile service and a coolant resevoir cap. Before that, the accumilator/slave, cracked windshield replaced.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:25 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
51K...
accumulator----easy
slave----hard
front left radiator separated at seam----easy
headlight switch----easy
ignition switch----easy

all failed between 48k-51k

Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 AM
wagongotya is infamous around these parts
nice thread wachuko!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 AM
wachuko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wagongotya
nice thread wachuko!
Thank you!!

A few of my threads when I started to look for it:

Pre-Purchase check list...

Buying a 2002 996TT - Help!!

Last edited by wachuko; 08-14-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:52 AM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
i have 37k. ill still tell you the couple problems i had.

major issues that original owner had was bad tranny (see 2nd gear popout thread). i think this issue usually surfaces when the car is relatively new.. was changed under waranty. i believe its an 8k job if not under warranty.

myself, i had only 2 "major" in my book issues. major meaning must tow.

the first was a bad alternator at maybe 28k...just gave out completely. car couldnt be rolled into gear, and had to be towed.. volatage indicator dipped to like 10v and even lower, all lights came on, gas indicator showed empty.. bottom line a crazy mess. towed to dealer, under CPO warranty and fixed. i think 1k repair without warranty for new alternator + labor.

2nd main issue happened yesterday. had a coolant line bust, on the highway as i was testing car before track... i was in jersey.. thankfully close to ron (vipertesstarosa)... so had teh car towed their... i beat on the car several times before just to burn some 93 gas that was left in tank..

thankfully i noticed something awkward with car asap, and once low coolant message hit, i pulled over immediatly.

i also, at maybe 15k had the bad steering reservoir sound coming from back. this i believe is also a 1k dealer repair if not under warranty...

then just a few more minor issues like a bad maf (evo intake high boost).., at 18k check engine light due to bad plugs...nothing serious... oh broken rear control arm, just snapped completely on the highway... new control arm + labor not much of a repair..

hmm..overall i think for the power the car gives you, and the potential mods that you can do to it.. its an amazing platform. like all cars get a good ppi, and as long as you maintain it and have a good indy shop, or a few good ones, youll be fine.
i put 27k miles on this car and i think for a sports car with so much power its pretty reliable...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those with over 50k miles....what mech issues have you experienced?