996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

About to close a deal on a 996TT...but need one last bit of help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by liquidcool
All things being equal, go to an independent shop - take it from someone who knows. If the dealer sold this car to the prior owner and/or he had it serviced there, and/or he plans on buying his next car there, etc, you never know if they'll be biased.

Take it someone you trust who knows these cars, but has never seen this particular one and who doesn't know the prior owner and has no incentive to see you close the deal.
+10 to this as well.

Getting a PPI is just a no brainer- I was shocked by the OPs comment that "the owner told me that..." Clearly he is accepting what the seller is SAYING as some kind of FACT. Amazing.

This quote brings up a deeper 'shade of gray' when seeking a PPI. There are so many more things you might wish to know- was a car in an accident? Are wear and tear items failed? An inspection for warranty coverage may be entirely inadequate for a purchaser: a warranty company knows their contract excludes wear items, excludes body damage...

Further, when a Dealer does a PPI for a car being sold by a good Porsche Client to an 'out of towner' thy are terribly conflicted.

liquid's advice is very good.

A

Old 08-15-2008, 10:31 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
you have to save your own skin, it covers your bones
Robert De Niro, Ronin.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ard
+10 to this as well.

Getting a PPI is just a no brainer- I was shocked by the OPs comment that "the owner told me that..." Clearly he is accepting what the seller is SAYING as some kind of FACT. Amazing.

This quote brings up a deeper 'shade of gray' when seeking a PPI. There are so many more things you might wish to know- was a car in an accident? Are wear and tear items failed? An inspection for warranty coverage may be entirely inadequate for a purchaser: a warranty company knows their contract excludes wear items, excludes body damage...

Further, when a Dealer does a PPI for a car being sold by a good Porsche Client to an 'out of towner' thy are terribly conflicted.

liquid's advice is very good.

A
I should've have been more clear in my post. I was simply asking if a PPI is done before a dealership sells an extended warranty. I will be getting a PPI done on the car for sure and am deciding whether I should take it to the dealer or an independent shop.

Edwin

Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 AM
ard
Originally Posted by M32
I should've have been more clear in my post. I was simply asking if a PPI is done before a dealership sells an extended warranty. I will be getting a PPI done on the car for sure and am deciding whether I should take it to the dealer or an independent shop.

Edwin
Hi Edwin-

You were clear. The point is a "PPI" is not a "thing" like a "new tire" or an "oil change". There is no common definition of what is in a PPI- one Porsche dealers' PPI is different than the next. If you don't negotiate what will be inspected and what details will be provided in your PPI, the change of a 'misunderstanding' increases.

A

Old 08-15-2008, 11:26 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
If I were you, I would take it to Carlsen Porsche in Menlo Park for your PPI. It only a few miles longer but they have some very good techs. Ask for Brian Haske....he will take care of you...great service

Old 08-16-2008, 03:00 PM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mikerosi
If I were you, I would take it to Carlsen Porsche in Menlo Park for your PPI. It only a few miles longer but they have some very good techs. Ask for Brian Haske....he will take care of you...great service
I pm'd Brian and unfortunately Carlsen does not do ppi's anymore. Anyone have any other suggestions in the SF area?

Edwin

Old 08-16-2008, 10:34 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't Sharkwerks across the bay? They have been on the boards for a long time and must have a lot of happy customers.

You should also look into an aftermarket warranty for even more peace of mind.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:17 AM
02_996TT is a splendid one to behold02_996TT is a splendid one to behold02_996TT is a splendid one to behold02_996TT is a splendid one to behold02_996TT is a splendid one to behold02_996TT is a splendid one to behold02_996TT is a splendid one to behold
forgive my ignorace... but..

what is a PPI ?

An indepth analysis of the ECU for driving analysis, or what? I just haven't heard the term before?

thanks.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
You're in Tx trying to get a PPI in Burlingame? Give Alex at Sharkwerks a call...he's a straight shooter and although he's across the bay in Fremont, he can most likely give you some referrals to some folks with established integrity. There are a numbe of establishments in the Bay area...the problem is going to be one of logistics in getting the car to them for hte PPI. Call Alex...seriously...I've dealt with him in the past and he has the connections and the list of the who's who.

Chuck

Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 AM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
what is a PPI ?

An indepth analysis of the ECU for driving analysis, or what? I just haven't heard the term before?

thanks.
pre-purchase inspection

Old 08-17-2008, 06:03 PM
M32
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
You're in Tx trying to get a PPI in Burlingame? Give Alex at Sharkwerks a call...he's a straight shooter and although he's across the bay in Fremont, he can most likely give you some referrals to some folks with established integrity. There are a numbe of establishments in the Bay area...the problem is going to be one of logistics in getting the car to them for hte PPI. Call Alex...seriously...I've dealt with him in the past and he has the connections and the list of the who's who.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck. I pm'd him yesterday and am waiting on a response back from him. Hope to hear from him soon

Edwin