996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need some quick pricing advice -- '02 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 PM
acr-c is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by flash68
Ha. Well if he really wants to sell it, he will have to become flexible...
I hear you man. I'll give it a shot with him.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 PM
soothsayer is infamous around these parts
you cant judge every car based on what the average 911 turbo is going for. When I was looking for mine, the ones that were going for lower money were worth lower money cause they were beat up. Some of the ones out there are in real good condition and have a rare options such as the x50 package. Some people are willing to pay more for that and most dealers wait for the guy who's willing to pay it. I say, if you like it get it, if youre looking for a steal, as with most things, you get what you pay for.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Make sure to leave him with an aggressive offer and your number so he doesn't trade it in from under you in a few months.

After Halloween, many luxury cars take a seasonal hit. IE Someone in Minnesota may not buy a TT in January.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:27 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by soothsayer
you cant judge every car based on what the average 911 turbo is going for. When I was looking for mine, the ones that were going for lower money were worth lower money cause they were beat up. Some of the ones out there are in real good condition and have a rare options such as the x50 package. Some people are willing to pay more for that and most dealers wait for the guy who's willing to pay it. I say, if you like it get it, if youre looking for a steal, as with most things, you get what you pay for.
I think I speak for most of us when the prices we are quoting are assuming the car is very well taken care of (as is the case with most 911 turbos).

The x50 option is very nice, but is it 10k more nice? I don't think so.

Unfortunately there are a lot of Porsche buyers out there with more money than brains and that props up the market sometimes more than it should IMO. The current 996TT market is absolutely fantastic for buyers. So many great cars out there for sale right now, several on this forum recently.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:37 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
Make sure to leave him with an aggressive offer and your number so he doesn't trade it in from under you in a few months.

After Halloween, many luxury cars take a seasonal hit. IE Someone in Minnesota may not buy a TT in January.
+100

If you MUST have this car, then you WILL pay too much. This seller needs to sit for a while and expereince this market.

Is the car 'officially for sale' or is it a private thing? Sellers who are looking at kbb and asking prices really don't know what the market is like- and unfortunately YOU cannot tell them.... it will take 3-4 months for them to understand.

California doesn't have a winter, per se, but he is not going to get over 60.

Good luck

A

Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by acr-c
Right now, he's saying he's not very flexible at all on the asking price. We'll see how it goes I guess.
Just make your offer and tell him to call you if he changes his mind. Keep looking and I'm sure something good will develop either way.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 PM
dlm477 is infamous around these parts
Just as a reference, I recently paid $57k for a perfect 02 996tt with 14k miles and $20k+ in aftermarket parts. For the car in this thread, I wouldn't pay a dime over $55k with the mileage.

As another reference, there are flawless 2001 996tts with 30k miles for $45-47k.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dlm477
Just as a reference, I recently paid $57k for a perfect 02 996tt with 14k miles and $20k+ in aftermarket parts. For the car in this thread, I wouldn't pay a dime over $55k with the mileage.

As another reference, there are flawless 2001 996tts with 30k miles for $45-47k.
Wow, that is a good deal. Even better than the deal I got on my 01 back in April.

Got pics and details? (sorry for the quick threadjack)

Old 08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by soothsayer

I know, you're right about getting what you pay for. I just don't want to overpay -- not with the current market. I just had to deal with it as the seller!

How rare is the X50 package anyway?

Old 08-21-2008, 05:28 PM
HokuLina is infamous around these parts
I just looked at an '02 TT with 29k on it in Pasadena. Dealer was asking 62k, but was willing to come down to 56, it had the X50 upgrade as well. The 2 reasons I didn't buy it were because 1) I just don't like silver AND the interior was DIRTY! Really dirty! You could tell they were 29k hard miles!

I posted this in another thread, but I guess it's relative here, too. The bottom line is that you have to LOVE the car, whatever the upgrades are! Honestly, the dealer didn't care that it had the X50, or at least he didn't use it as a selling point. The bottom line? They wanted to MOVE THE CAR! He will not get that ask, no way!!! If he does, let me know who bought it....I have a '00 996 C2 I need to sell!

Originally Posted by acr-c
I know, you're right about getting what you pay for. I just don't want to overpay -- not with the current market. I just had to deal with it as the seller!

How rare is the X50 package anyway?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
The X50 really isn't that "rare"....although admittedly there were a lot fewer of the TT's that come with the X50 option. I specifically went looking for it as a gotta-have as a personal desire, but there are two schools of thought on this....one being that if the dealer or individual seller is asking an additional $5-10K for the X50 option, you can get a better bang on the dollar by buying the non X50...throwing a tune on it for $1500-4000 depending upon whether you upgrade the turbos and wastegates.....so you can get X50 performance by saving money and buying a lower priced 02-04 TT and throwing a tune on it.

The other school of thought is that the X50 comes with the upgraded GT2 K24 turbos and intercoolers and was listed as a $18K option and is "rarer"....therefore would tend to (theoretically) raise the resale value of the car. The theory is good, but in practice, I've seen a number of X50 optioned cars going for not a whole lot more than the non-X50. Right now is the time to strike if you're thinking about it. I think that those of us who own X50s would like to keep the thought that they add an extra $10K.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 08-21-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-22-2008, 08:30 AM
BeenThere is infamous around these parts
Local, private party.

Where is this car located? I am looking at a very similar car, but it's not in California (looks like you're in CA per your profile)

BTW - these threads are great for a noob like me. I am learning a ton on price/value as I go to buy my first Porsche.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
HokuLina is infamous around these parts
What are you looking to buy? I've spent weeks looking at 02-04 TT's on all of the car sites. It's been very helpful for pricing, and yes, this site has tons of great info!

BeenThere;2007274]Local, private party.
Where is this car located? I am looking at a very similar car, but it's not in California (looks like you're in CA per your profile)

BTW - these threads are great for a noob like me. I am learning a ton on price/value as I go to buy my first Porsche.[/quote]

Old 08-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by ard
+100

If you MUST have this car, then you WILL pay too much. This seller needs to sit for a while and expereince this market.

Is the car 'officially for sale' or is it a private thing? Sellers who are looking at kbb and asking prices really don't know what the market is like- and unfortunately YOU cannot tell them.... it will take 3-4 months for them to understand.

California doesn't have a winter, per se, but he is not going to get over 60.

Good luck

A

It's a private party sale. I went and checked the car out and it wasn't nearly as "mint" as I figured it to be. I passed. On with the search!

Old 08-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by dlm477

Sounds like you caught an awesome deal on your '02. Congrats!!!! That's the kind of eal I'd like to find!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some quick pricing advice -- '02 996TT