996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Uneven ride height

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:02 AM
bfk4lyfe is infamous around these parts
Uneven ride height

I bought my car used from a dealer here and after I bought it I noticed the ride height was uneven (the entire right side of the car was about 'a finger' higher). I never really thought anything of it until this week when I had my PSS10's installed. While installing them my mechanic told me there was a new sub-frame piece in the rear. And right now with both front coilovers adjusted to the same spot and both rear coilovers adjusted to the same spot the car is (surprise) one finger higher on the right side.

Any clues as to what can be going on? The panels haven't been replaced so hasn't had any body damage but I'm guessing the frame is tweaked some how, although the car drives just fine. I can adjust the coilovers to make it look even but that's only an atheistic fix and besides the point.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:37 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bfk4lyfe
I bought my car used from a dealer here and after I bought it I noticed the ride height was uneven (the entire right side of the car was about 'a finger' higher). I never really thought anything of it until this week when I had my PSS10's installed. While installing them my mechanic told me there was a new sub-frame piece in the rear. And right now with both front coilovers adjusted to the same spot and both rear coilovers adjusted to the same spot the car is (surprise) one finger higher on the right side.

Any clues as to what can be going on? The panels haven't been replaced so hasn't had any body damage but I'm guessing the frame is tweaked some how, although the car drives just fine. I can adjust the coilovers to make it look even but that's only an atheistic fix and besides the point.

Sometimes corner balanced = uneven ride height.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 AM
WSY996TT is infamous around these parts
Same expereince for me with both JIC's and PSS10s, the right side (passenger side) are always 1-1.5 finger gap higher comparing to the left side, esspecially the rear. Strange... I have lowered cars for my entire life, but on the TT, the difference is huge. I have adjusted the coilovers to balance the height. I think corner balance is the way to go to correct weight distribution.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 AM
how low are your fronts? i have them as low as they'll go and there's still a two finger gap on the right side..

Old 08-18-2008, 09:49 AM
WSY996TT is infamous around these parts
slightly less then 1 finger gap all arround, with max at the front.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 AM
thats how my front left is. should i adjust the coilovers to make it as even as i can then have it corner balanced?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bfk4lyfe
thats how my front left is. should i adjust the coilovers to make it as even as i can then have it corner balanced?
Sometime, you have to choose between corner balance and even ride height. Just take your car to a good corner balance/alignment shop and let them educate you.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:59 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
I had similar issue with my PSS9, the left rear was 1/4" higher than the right rear. We had to lower the left rear coil about 1/2" to lower the car 1/4" on that corner. It's not exactly a 1:1 ratio as to coil and ride height difference as the weight distribution within the car isn't exact. That's why people corner balance. For me, I was happy just to even the car out so I don't have to look at the uneven height. Driving wise, I cannot feel the difference before and after adjustment.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:41 PM
ok so seems normal enough. i just toyed with it and its almost even all around just need a major alignment now. thx guys.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
I did PSS10 and also had to have them readjusted after 1,000 miles to even out the ride height. Only the right rear ended up being about 1/4" higher. Fronts are all the way down with about a finger width fender gap. Rears are about 2/3 down also with a finger width fender gap.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 AM
ryanbutcher is infamous around these parts
I posted another thread in the 996 section before I saw this so excuse the repeat. I've got an almost 1/2" discrepency on my passenger rear (its higher) with the PSS9.. Needless to say it's driving me batty

Did anyone come up with a reasonable explaination for it? Is compensating by dropping the passenger rear ok (even though the shock is set differently than the other side)??

All the best,
Ryan

Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
I have the pss9 also installed and my pass. side is also higher then the drivers rear... how are you guys measuring this to figure out the height difference's?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
when your car is properly corner balanced it will actually be slightly higher on the driver side when you are not in it...should have proper balance when you are in it and tank 1/2 full but that does not mean the car will be perfectly level...it won't be..the corner balance is adjusted by changing ride height so it may or may not be level right to left when balanced

Old 06-03-2009, 12:18 PM
ryanbutcher is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by boca996tt
I have the pss9 also installed and my pass. side is also higher then the drivers rear... how are you guys measuring this to figure out the height difference's?
I'm measuring from the ground through the caps to the top of the fender well. That being said, the official measure point is ground to locating bore between toe and camber eccentrics.. I hate to hear you're having the same problem boca, but glad it's not just me

Thanks for your reply VSE Chuck, your post are always helpful. My problem is however I'm a full 1/2" higher on the passenger rear than the driver side. This doesnt make good sense to me when I have 3 or so inches of thread left on the driver side (which is lower) and very little on the passenger side (which is higher).. Something else must be amiss..

I did notice my rear sway is pushed toward the passenger side an inch or so and the driver side drop link is angled in that direction (whereas the passenger side is straight up and down) at rest. I'm thinking of pulling the rear wheels off and unbolting the sway just to see if that has any effect on it what so ever..

Old 06-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
your sway bar should not be angled that way...both the front and rear sways have pre-load if you do not have adjustable drop links...to corner balance sway bar drop links should be disconnected...if your shop tried to corner balance with the sways connected that could explain what is happening...you need to find a good race shop (Porsche) and have that looked at because it just doesn't sound right...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Uneven ride height