996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Switzer 996/997 standalone - 850 rwhp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Great post Marty. Evoms DOES write their own programs though.
I was hoping Todd Z would have done it long time ago.... but in the end Im glad they shook off Giac. The only way to really be in control of your own destiny is to actually write your own code.
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
You do realize all of this is DOCUMENTED right?!? I would love to try!
Peter

Originally Posted by robmd99
Peter
It would be an honor for you to break your record in my car hint hint
Robert

Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Former Vendor
Tym Switzer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Highhats
DK- the fact that you pulled the preloaded boost in order to tame the TQ, is that why you are as laggy as you are? seems like with a bit more boost request on the punch would yes give you a bit more tq but more importantly have this set up spool a bunch quicker no? Tym? DL congrats again thats a sick curve. Im sure the heat didnt help the spool.

S
Okay... I have to be really careful here as to not sound pompous. I really don't want anyone to read what I'm about to say the wrong way... please understand that coming across as arrogant is the last thing that I want to do.

This is what I do for a living. I solve problems and create solutions. There are a multitude of things that are admittedly not my forte... however, tuning and finding better ways to burn fuel are. Many of you may be amazed by these numbers, but I am not. I've been inside all of these engines (996, 997,GT3,etc) and have made my own determinations on what I felt was doable and acceptable based on my working lifetime of experiences with various engines. I may be out of the comfort zone of some, but that's not an issue for me. Telling me what I can't do or accomplish simply challenges me to do better and work harder.

It's killing me to have to hold myself back on David's 997, but I've pretty much drawn a line in the sand that I won't cross. Many of you feel that this is huge power, and I am here telling you that it is simply not. Making more power is a certainty at this point. We have been in ongoing development with our engine program. When we pull the trigger, we'll be able to wake these engines up and show you significant increases from what you've already seen should we decide to.

This usually gets me in trouble when I say it, but just about any fool can tune a car on the edge at wide open throttle. I don't care about making the "most" power... I want the "best" power for the application.

As far as the boost hit Suman and what you feel is laggy... I'm here to tell you that I haven't even tweaked the closed loop feedback boost control yet. It's hitting a little softer than I would like, but I'm not too concerned... it will just take a bit more tweaking to make it hit harder. You are also right about the power being down with conditions... if you look closely at the vid of the dyno, you'll notice that we are simply blowing the air back up through the intercoolers as many shops do... however... keep in mind that the shop was almost 90 degrees, I had done a 1/2 dozen pulls without shutting the car off... the blowers are picking up all of the heat around the back of the car and throwing it up through the intercoolers. Now if that wasn't bad enough, you'll notice that the air intakes for the engine are located above the intercoolers so that they can draw in fresh air at speed. We're taking hot air, throwing it through the intercoolers and asking the engine to suck in that super heated air. So... 850 to the wheels isn't that bad when you consider that, no?

The fact is, I'm not trying to win a dyno sheet competition... I was roughing in the tune and wasn't trying to optimize anything. Although... after looking at the data on how much fuel I had to add off of the dyno this weekend, I need to come up with a ducting solution to throw the air through the intercooler ducts in the right direction on the dyno! With cooler, more dense air the turbos will hit even harder and produce more power more easily. Again, it's important for everyone to remember that we're not trying to optimize the car's performance on racegas... pumpgas results are what I'm after... and now we've confirmed that we have the hardware to hit our targets. That's a great thing.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Doesnt get much better then that Tym. I figured you held back alot. Im hoping with the added displacement and the 35r's I can achieve the 1000 mark fairly easy. It really is on the tuner but with the addition of your fuel system it seems very possible. Now do you think your Massive intercoolers added to the lag of the set up? Not saying its laggy but do you think its was a contributing factor? I noticed with my evo going to a 4.5 inch garrett core I shifted my whole curve 400 rpms to the right. The top end gain wasnt significant enough to justify the lag.

S

Old 08-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor
Tym Switzer is infamous around these parts
Suman... we're running our intercoolers and plumbing on our 750hp VTG 997TT's and 650HR kits for the 996TT's as well with no loss in response. Honestly... if dimensions would permit, they would be just a bit larger!

I don't like to compromise to be honest, lol.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by houstonT
Now go break my 4.51 60-130 record, would ya?
Peter,

Your 4.51 was and is a phenomenal run for a manual car...but let's not forget you were running 15" drag slicks on a professionally prepped dragstrip when you did it. So far...all of my 60-130 runs have been done on the street near my house on the same 18" drag radials that I run everyday. Heck, I don't even lower my tire pressure.

Anyway, once I have some time...I'm going to put on some real rubber, crank up my boost...and make a serious attempt to finally beat that record of yours, bro.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-25-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:01 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Peter had an audience, Scott!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Highhats
Doesnt get much better then that Tym. I figured you held back alot. Im hoping with the added displacement and the 35r's I can achieve the 1000 mark fairly easy. It really is on the tuner but with the addition of your fuel system it seems very possible. Now do you think your Massive intercoolers added to the lag of the set up? Not saying its laggy but do you think its was a contributing factor? I noticed with my evo going to a 4.5 inch garrett core I shifted my whole curve 400 rpms to the right. The top end gain wasnt significant enough to justify the lag.

S
Suman, if i had the proper internals, tym could easily hit 1000+ rwhp on the hybrid 30r's that i have on my car now. there is just so much power that is still left on the table!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:45 PM
UAE996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dk996tt
Suman, if i had the proper internals, tym could easily hit 1000+ rwhp on the hybrid 30r's that i have on my car now. there is just so much power that is still left on the table!
is it 3076r ?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UAE996TT
is it 3076r ?
it is a hybrid gt30r turbo. tym wont give me the details, but i really don't care what it is if it is making that kind of power under the graph!

Old 08-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Former Vendor
i wanted to get an idea of 1/4 mile trap speed, but i didn't want to beat on the car at the track. so i used the driftbox to get an idea of what kind of mph i would see at the end of the 1/4 mile. i simply eased it out of the hole (probably a 2.5 sec 60 ft time) and then hit it. the driftbox showed 146 mph trap speed. the car is full weight, full tank of gas, full exhaust system, and factory recommended tire pressure. does that sound right for 850 rwhp?

Old 08-25-2008, 07:24 PM
UAE996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dk996tt
i wanted to get an idea of 1/4 mile trap speed, but i didn't want to beat on the car at the track. so i used the driftbox to get an idea of what kind of mph i would see at the end of the 1/4 mile. i simply eased it out of the hole (probably a 2.5 sec 60 ft time) and then hit it. the driftbox showed 146 mph trap speed. the car is full weight, full tank of gas, full exhaust system, and factory recommended tire pressure. does that sound right for 850 rwhp?
146 mph sounds right . what was the 1/4 mile time ?

Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by UAE996TT
146 mph sounds right . what was the 1/4 mile time ?
high 10's, low 11's. not trying for ET, just wanted to get an idea of what my trap speed will be.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
146 is moving for sure. Are you planning on doing anymore 60-130 runs? I'd be curious to see what it runs now. You should be getting down in the 4's I'd imagine.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
146 is moving for sure. Are you planning on doing anymore 60-130 runs? I'd be curious to see what it runs now. You should be getting down in the 4's I'd imagine.
i think the car should run high 4's, but i think i am satisfied regardless. i just want to enjoy the car for now. if someone tempts me on the road, then i may have to try it again!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switzer 996/997 standalone - 850 rwhp