996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSS10s and GT2 sway bar don't mix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 AM
waymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the rough
PSS10s and GT2 sway bar don't mix?

GT3 - I know! But I can't change the subject line.

A couple of weeks ago, I installed a GT3 rear sway bar and Agency Power drop links and upper control arms on an otherwise stock 996TT suspension. I didn't have any trouble at all - remove a few bolts, install the new parts, replace the bolts. Friday, I had a race-prep shop install my PSS10s, and align and corner balance the car. After everything was complete, they tried to reconnect the drop links to the sway bar and the lower control arm prevents the two from being connected. They managed to get the bolt through the end hole on the sway bar, but it's rubbing against the bottom of that control arm. See pics below. Obviously something isn't right, but we can't figure out what the solution is. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

If they're of any use, here are the setup results:
Corner Balance
LF 714 709 RF
LR 1208 1125 RR

Ride Height - measured to jack points
LF 4.50 4.50 RF
LR 4.63 4.63 RR

Caster
LF 7.86 7.77 RF

Camber
LF -1.48 -1.46 RF
LR -2.47 -2.40 RR

Toe
Front 0.06 out
Rear 0.10 in

Attached Images    

Last edited by waymegelli; 08-24-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Weird... I wonder if the PSS10 bottom bracket is positioned different. The factory link and Agency Power links are the same length. Here is a pic of it on my old 996TT.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:37 PM
waymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the rough
The PSS10 and factory appear to be the same geometry based on the measurements I can do while it's installed. I'm really hesitant to pull it all apart just to check the exact dimensions - way too much work and I'm sure Bilstein didn't make that big a mistake. After messing with things today, the only thing that makes sense is that the ride height we set the PSS10s to causes the wheel - and consequently the lower arm - to sit lower than it was. But that would mean the car sits higher. Not true - it's slightly lower than it was.

Here's another bit of info - I jacked up the left side and removed the drop link to sway bar bolt. The sway bar actually raised enough that I could put the drop link into any of the four sway bar holes. I realized this happened because of the twisted position the car was in, so I put the left rear tire back on, raised the whole car, put 3" blocks under both wheels and let it down. Now I'm back to where I was before - the sway bar is disconnected at both ends and I can't align with the drop links because of the interference with the lower control arm. Seamore pics

Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well here's something that you might want to try...

Place a jack under the suspension knuckle/hub assembly and take some of the stress off the shock, raising the pickup point.

They're fully relaxed and should be compresses to get the bolt into the hole... My PSS9s have the same issue.

Once it's all together it works just fine.
Mike

Old 08-25-2008, 05:58 AM
Mike - So are you saying that your sway bar is always binding against the lower control arm? If so, how is it doing any good?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Nope, not saying that at all... In your pics the car is on jack stands or a lift... My comment is that the suspension is at FULL extension. This is not a normal condition and the car won't see that much travel extension. Try loading the suspension to compress the shock/spring and attach the swaybar. The other question is are the top mounts for the shock oriented properly in the mounting? They are offset for a reason and if not properly installed, could cause an exagurated lenght.

Mike

Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Yes - In my first post, the car is supported on a jack and the left rear wheel is off (both pretty obvious, I know). But in my second post, the car is supported on the wheels and you can see, hopefully, that I cannot connect the drops to the sway bar. I'll try your previous suggestion tonight, but I don't see how that will change anything.

Last edited by waymegelli; 08-25-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Nope, You're correct on that last post... Forget what I said... I went and looked again at your second set of pics. I hate to say it, but it appears that your droplinks aren't long enough. Maybe Dan at Vivid can hook you up with something that has more adjustment. I'd also confirm the upper mount on the strut is properly oriented.

Mike

Old 08-25-2008, 09:50 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
What Mike said, plus...
You need to add a few things if you're going to go that low. Otherwise you won't be able to correct the geometry. You need adjustable dog bones, adj toe links and probably adj cup trailing arms. GMG makes all the components you will need, Dan can hook you up. I'd probably just raise the ride ht to a point where you can get away with what you already have.
GL

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 08-25-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
This would be the first case in a gazillion of these sold. As I emailed you Wayne, you can return them if you want. If ANYONE has pics of their links installed, please post up. I have installed these here on a ton of JIC Cross coilovers. I know users have these with Bilstein. When I had my 996C2 I ran these with with PSS9.

The drop link is the same length as the factory part. Since coilovers are designed to use the factory link, there should be no difference between the JIC and the Bilstein. The GT3 sway bar really is not designed for the 996TT but alot of people use them.

Here are some pics I have of other cars -

Attached Images   
Old 08-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the offer Dan, but I don't really want to return them. Besides, since the drops are the same as my stock links, reverting to stock won't solve anything. Maybe the GT3 sway bar is a little different geometry, but as I said in my first post, the sway bar and drop links initially went on without any trouble. So the problem must be with the PSS10s.

TT Surgeon - We didn't lower it very much - not even enough to be noticable, but I agree, that seems to be the only thing that's been changed. I am NOT going to make all the hardware changes you mention. The problem with raising it - even a little - is that all the balancing and aligning that was done will have to be redone and I may still have the problem. (Maybe I should raise it way up and put on some 22" rims and spinners?)

I like Mike's suggestion of making sure the upper mount is correct. I can do that without undoing anything. Stay tuned?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:16 PM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
I have PSS10's with the GT3 swaybar. I did not do the installation myself but I was not informed of any issues.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Torresmd!!! Please please please - can you take a picture? Or two or three? I would be forever in your debt! Do you know your ride height measured to the jack point?

Old 08-25-2008, 03:28 PM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
Not the best quality pics but here they are. Looks similar to yours.

Attached Images     
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks - Did you just take those or did you already have them for some reason? Either way - thanks - but it appears that your sway bar and control arm are also touching, although as someone said previously, in the "droop" position, this may be normal. Maybe we need to compare to a completely stock setup to see what's different. Anybody want to post some pics of a stock suspension with the wheels on the ground?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSS10s and GT2 sway bar don't mix?