996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why do Porsches drain batteries so quickly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:41 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
just to add creedance to this thread...I just noticed this afternoon the "going to sleep" phenomenon. I haven't driven my car in a little over a week and when I went out today to go for a short spin, my remote didn't work, but I could see my red light blinking (I always set my alarm, even in my garage). I had to use my key to open the door...Every time I drive my car, I find out something new...

Old 08-28-2008, 04:42 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rwilliamtaylor
It's in your owner's manual. If you arm the alarm and the car sits for a couple of days it will enter sleep mode. Once entered the remote door unlock turns off and must be turned back on by using the key inthe lock. The first time it happened to me by accident at the airport... I thought the battery was dead. When I opened the door with the key, all the power came back on.
What he said...

Old 08-29-2008, 07:08 AM
ianburst is infamous around these parts
I'm going away for six weeks.What would you recommend regarding the battery?I don't like the idea of leaving a battery tender unattended for so long in case it shorts out and burns the car and the house!I thought about disconnecting the battery completely.Any suggestions?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:59 AM
TURBO ELECTRO is a jewel in the roughTURBO ELECTRO is a jewel in the roughTURBO ELECTRO is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ianburst
I'm going away for six weeks.What would you recommend regarding the battery?I don't like the idea of leaving a battery tender unattended for so long in case it shorts out and burns the car and the house!I thought about disconnecting the battery completely.Any suggestions?
if concered you will kill your battery then yes disconnect neg terminal of battery. pop hood 1 10mm wrench will do the trick...then when reconnecting have radio code handy and reset clock on dash.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:17 PM
TURBO ELECTRO is a jewel in the roughTURBO ELECTRO is a jewel in the roughTURBO ELECTRO is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I got a kill switch with my odyssey battery upgrade via rennline....lighter, better battery and the kill switch. My OEM PCM1 died and the avic d3x doesn't have a code...so all is well (it seems to remember color setting too, suprisingly....which makes me happy as it is set to match my car exactly in terms of the lighting of the dash).

Save 25lbs....doing the above.

Jeff
When you say kill switch do you mean a mechanical turn switch in series with your + or - battery terminal? or an electronic hi curent relay? Presets and audio control memory is lost without constant memory wire connected. You could simply hardwire 12v yellow memory wire to the battery. Battery consumption should be around 3 milliamps...which is squat.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
it is a known fact the factory battery does suck.

So as stated above the ONE thing to do is to NOT arm your car in the garage. That way the car will NOT go into SLEEP mode and you can at least open the door and get in and try cranking it.

I have the Porsche battery maintainer the "crappy" one that plugs into the cig lighter...I love it. So easy to plug in and yes if I usually plug it in a day before I think I am going to drive it. I usually know when I plan on driving it. So if I know I am going to C&C on Sat...Friday night before bed I plug her in...easy as that.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:09 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TURBO ELECTRO
if concered you will kill your battery then yes disconnect neg terminal of battery. pop hood 1 10mm wrench will do the trick...then when reconnecting have radio code handy and reset clock on dash.
if you car is 03+ you do not need radio codes or to reset the clock...it is stored in the dme. If you disconnect your battery for some time, it (the ecu) will have to re-learn your driving style as that memory will be gone.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:27 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
I Can Leave My Car Sitting For 3 Weeks And It Starts Right Up

Old 08-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by boca996tt
I Can Leave My Car Sitting For 3 Weeks And It Starts Right Up
perfect example as to why John who starting this thread should load test his battery to rule out any battery issues.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:38 PM
ianburst is infamous around these parts
TURBOELECTRO,I have a near new 80 A/H battery fully charged and a two post battery isolator switch next to it on the negative cable.Going away for six weeks.Would you A.lock car with remote and let it go into sleep mode;B.lock car and then turn off at isolator switch[and take the plastic key out of the switch];or disconnect battery completely after locking car.My gut feeling is there will be less wear on the battery if left fully charged but completely disconnected.What do you think?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Car sucks about 1/5th of the power when the alarm is armed... My stereo guy was tracing down what we thought was a bad ground, etc... somewhere and spent tons of time learning this!!! Arm the car when it is parked.

I also run an Optima Yellow which helps significantly...

Deep Cycle batteries always restart...

(well until they've past their useful life but that is much longer than one that isn't that sees full drain!)

Last edited by Kato; 08-29-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:27 PM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
I spent > $1,000 fault finding why my 99 Tip Cab... battery would drain rapidly (within two weeks). It spent three days @ the Stealer...they found nothing. I replaced two batteries, again same problem. In the end I just gave up and used a Porsche battery maintainer which connected directly to the battery. This addressed the issue but did not solve it. Have since sold the car.

My replacement car - 2001 Turbo....no issues.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 AM
quicksilver01 is infamous around these parts
I have been using the Porsche cigarette lighter tender when not using the car for more than a week. I have not been arming the car with the OEM alarm.

Can you alarm the car while using a tender? Will doing both help save the battery?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:44 AM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for all the valuable feedback. I learned a very useful piece of information from this thread, that is to turn on the alarm when parked in the garage so that the battery drains less. I will do this from now on.