996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ticket in New Jersey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:37 PM
riley6 is infamous around these parts
It states you do not receive points but that doesn't mean it's not on your record (license #). I have received several tickets out-of-state (different states) and they showed up when the insurance company ran my record. It may not hurt you with your state DMV but it doesn't just disappear, it IS on record (from my experience). Just take your lumps and pay it; unless you have a hook up or you know the cop won't show up.

By the way, how the hell did he catch you from a standstill? I would have increased to 150 then jumped off at the next exit and take an alternate route (not that I would do such a thing) .

Old 08-31-2008, 08:58 PM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by riley6
It states you do not receive points but that doesn't mean it's not on your record (license #). I have received several tickets out-of-state (different states) and they showed up when the insurance company ran my record. It may not hurt you with your state DMV but it doesn't just disappear, it IS on record (from my experience). Just take your lumps and pay it; unless you have a hook up or you know the cop won't show up.

By the way, how the hell did he catch you from a standstill? I would have increased to 150 then jumped off at the next exit and take an alternate route (not that I would do such a thing) .
If I saw him coming, i would have. it was just to open for me to pass up. when i slowed down (as im not going to be cruising at that speed) he eventually caught up to me.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by riley6
It states you do not receive points but that doesn't mean it's not on your record (license #).
The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions.

It didn't state that it wouldn't take points. It says it will not record out of state violations at all.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:32 PM
riley6 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by r34dy2walk
The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions.

It didn't state that it wouldn't take points. It says it will not record out of state violations at all.
"If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?" I assume this is the original question from the NY website. I believe there is another system recording driver license info, not just your state DMV, but check with your insurance company. Again, I have no points on my license from out-of-state speeding tickets, BUT my insurance carrier still found out .

Old 09-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Banned
Maciej is infamous around these parts
Your fine, thats a common trick for guys who race bikes here in NJ, is to get a NY license and just pay what ever fine you get. A guy that I'm acquainted with has a sheet from the DMV with about 30 rather ridiculous violations on it that he paid with out hesitation. You'll be fine, just pay the citation and you have nothing to worry about. Just don't for any reason switch to an NJ license anytime soon. If you want any more info on what else you can do just send me a message on aim.

Maciej

Old 09-01-2008, 06:53 AM
jgood is infamous around these parts
The points may or may not end up on your NYS license. It has to do with the reporting that is done by the jurisdiction that the ticket was written in. You may get away with it, or it may be reported by NJ to NY DMV. The NYS DMV is a little vague- it does not go looking for violations/points from other jurisdictions, but NYS has reciprocity with EVERY other state in the lower 48. So, if the other Court or issuing municipality has a policy of sending the info to NYS, then you could potentially end up with them on your record.

Also, your ins. co. pays a service to check your driving record in every other state upon renewal of your policy and will charge you accordingly. One way around this is to get a policy for your "collector" car, etc. They will also check, but are more lenient. You will lose a multi car discount, but won't get hammered on your 'ticket' car.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Banned
Maciej is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jgood
The points may or may not end up on your NYS license. It has to do with the reporting that is done by the jurisdiction that the ticket was written in. You may get away with it, or it may be reported by NJ to NY DMV. The NYS DMV is a little vague- it does not go looking for violations/points from other jurisdictions, but NYS has reciprocity with EVERY other state in the lower 48. So, if the other Court or issuing municipality has a policy of sending the info to NYS, then you could potentially end up with them on your record.

Also, your ins. co. pays a service to check your driving record in every other state upon renewal of your policy and will charge you accordingly. One way around this is to get a policy for your "collector" car, etc. They will also check, but are more lenient. You will lose a multi car discount, but won't get hammered on your 'ticket' car.
The points DO NOT transfer over to NY, the only place points in NJ transfer to NY are on the Palisades Parkway.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Smile

Originally Posted by AWR Tuning
The points DO NOT transfer over to NY, the only place points in NJ transfer to NY are on the Palisades Parkway.
wow i never knew that, why did i bother paying the extra fine and pleading guilty a charge that had a higher fine but no points (i got an 85 in a 55 in central jersey a few years back). are you guys sure about this? if this is true you'll see me going A LOT faster when i'm in jersey from now on

subscribed

Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 PM
rmani is infamous around these partsrmani is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by r34dy2walk
NYS DMV told me they don't take out of state violations unless its a DUI / DWI related... seems credible to me.

Just curious what you guys would do in this situation.

So knowing they won't take out of state points, would you even bother to fight it?

NY is good they won't take points from NJ tickets, BUT given that rate of speed it's 100% certain you have a mandatory court appearance. You need a lawyer to keep you out of jail anything over 90 in NJ now is considered a serious offense. What will most likely happen is you'll go to court and have your license suspended for a month (but only in NJ) so you won't be able to drive here for a month, no biggie. You'll just have the speeding fine and it'll be done with.

This is what happened with my friend who got caught 2x in one night on his motorcycle going way over the speed limit (he's from NY too but was caught in NJ).

BTW welcome to the "getting caught over 120mph club"
NJ sucks but you're fortunate the cop was civil, as many of us have had bad experiences.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
My wife picked up a ticket in Colorado (we live in FL). She paid the fine, spoke to the court registrar (no points) BUT our insurance has it on record as a mark against us (She had the same occur in GA a few years ago too).

And Nope; neither of these tickets were in the turbo. Both were in her Acura SUV

Old 09-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by rmani
NY is good they won't take points from NJ tickets, BUT given that rate of speed it's 100% certain you have a mandatory court appearance. You need a lawyer to keep you out of jail anything over 90 in NJ now is considered a serious offense. What will most likely happen is you'll go to court and have your license suspended for a month (but only in NJ) so you won't be able to drive here for a month, no biggie. You'll just have the speeding fine and it'll be done with.

This is what happened with my friend who got caught 2x in one night on his motorcycle going way over the speed limit (he's from NY too but was caught in NJ).

BTW welcome to the "getting caught over 120mph club"
NJ sucks but you're fortunate the cop was civil, as many of us have had bad experiences.
Don't need to go to court. Jersey summons have a spot specifically for such things and it wasn't checked. Its even in red. :P

Old 09-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Danyol
My wife picked up a ticket in Colorado (we live in FL). She paid the fine, spoke to the court registrar (no points) BUT our insurance has it on record as a mark against us (She had the same occur in GA a few years ago too).

And Nope; neither of these tickets were in the turbo. Both were in her Acura SUV
You have a Florida license? Does Florida take records from other states? I guess I'll look it up.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Danyol

Well I looked up Florida DMV laws from their site. It seems Florida does indeed take points and records from out of state unlike NY. However, what might have happens is that, what may cause points in CO might not have imposed points in FL or vice versa. Plus Insurance points are different a bit from DMV points.

Oh well, no point worry about it now. I've decided to frame the ticket and just pay it. I'm actually PCS with the Army so I wont be anywhere near the courts to appear in court anyway. I guess I'll let everyone know 5 months from now if my premiums have increased lol.