996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Exhaust removal. What the Bloody H*#% is the trick!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 AM
soothsayer is infamous around these parts
I just installed a new RPi without using the stock straps cause they didnt seem like they'd fit around the shape of the new muffler properly... I had a feeling there has to be something wrong with this cause if one of those clamps breaks...bad news... So kellyT your straps fit properly?? Damn man I just spent 4 hours of hell on this thing. As far as the sound, its awesome.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 AM
KellyT is infamous around these parts
Soothsayer: Yes the stock straps work great. The trick was to first strap them around the exhaust while it lays on the garage floor the way they will end up mounted just medial to(toward the middle) and off the weld with the 6mm hex head facing down(just a reminder) and use channel locks to squeeze the connecting ends close enough and angled so you can thread the hex bolt on. Then tighten them up real tight to take out all the wrong bends they aquired wrapping around the stock exhaust. Then just loosen them up a bit when you are ready to mount them.

Chuck Jones: Great explanation of Drone. It is definately a harmonic vibration, seems to vibrate my bones in the cab. None of the non X50 996ers say anything about it. Maybe it is the K24 turbo's that create more drone with this exhaust. Any thoughts?

Last edited by KellyT; 09-02-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:06 PM
soothsayer is infamous around these parts
I appreciate the info kellyT. Looks like ive still got some work to do..

Old 09-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Kelly: I've seen comments by the non X50 crowd...but it's usually related to exhaust systems like Fabspeed, GHL, B and B and a few others, although there will be some who will be quick to come back and say they have no drone so I don't have a pat answer. I think if you did a search on drone here ane on Rennlist, you'd find quite a few who complained that have the K16 turbos.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:30 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Drone is known to worse for tips and cabs. Cabs because of less sound dampening in roof and tips because of car liking to be in the dreaded 2k-2500 range when cruising. For what it is worth my EP2 quiet in my tip sounds great but does not drone to me. It does cost alot but not liking your car is a pain in the ***. I drove 6 hours in mine today and the exhaust was no problem. They are actuallly smoother/quieter at 3k than 2k.