996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2010 Porsche TT with non-turbo engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:39 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by skandalis447
32 valve flat six?Maybe a mistake?
Maybe they have figured out how to squeeze 5 1/3 valves into each cylinder bowl. Good catch!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:03 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Great info find, but it did not mention anything about the turbo cars or
turbo engine??? Did I miss something?

Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Marty, it's in the Autoweek article:
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...FREE/763742673

Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 AM
wachuko is infamous around these parts
Smile

Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Great info find, but it did not mention anything about the turbo cars or
turbo engine??? Did I miss something?
You are correct... great read but nothing on the Turbo... nothing until the last few sentences...

"Q-Will the new engine ultimately replace the GT2,
GT3and Turbo power plants?

A-Sorry, we do not comment on future products."

Old 09-05-2008, 11:13 AM
When the A91 news came up I asked a friend who is a Porsche insider about it. He is usually quite frank with me, but this is what he had to say: "...they have this under heavy lock and key. Porsche does not want us releasing ANY info whatsoever about the Turbo development, they're having enough trouble as it is keeping it confidential." So it looks like we're gonna just have to wait for more info to come out. Pure speculation at this point, so...no reason to get excited (said the joker to the thief).

Old 09-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
there is nothing in either article that talks about replacing the GT1 style engine, in fact there is no comment at all on that. The only comment is on replacing the NA line engine with this newer stronger version.

As for why they did it, it sounds like they were able to lighten up the engine considerably by removing components that are not unnecessary in the old engine.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:56 PM
petevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to behold
Weight.

Yes, the word is that the next turbo and GT3, cup, etc will all have derivatives of the new "street" block. PET parts lists, etc, already confirm this for the cup cars.

I am hesitant, but I think this will be a good move. As most know the most current GT2/3/turbo motor is a derivative of the air-cooled 964 motor designed in the late 80s; they had water jackets, etc added after the fact. As such it's a very heavy design- a 3.6L cup motor, dressed, is heavier than Porsche's own Carrera GT or a 7.0 liter Z06, but makes less power.

A modern clean sheet of paper design would in theory fix that, perhaps saving around 100 lbs off the heavy end of the car for a motor of similar power. That in turn would have a disproportionate effect on the overall car, closer to saving 200 lbs elsewhere.

The question is weather the bean-counters or the engineers will design the motor. If they let the engineers have at it I'm convinced it will be good overall, though I agree teething troubles are likely the first years...

Old 09-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Prche951
there is nothing in either article that talks about replacing the GT1 style engine, in fact there is no comment at all on that.
Direct from the AW article: "Both the 911 Turbo and 911 GT2 are earmarked to receive the 3.6-liter version of the horizontally-opposed six-cylinder A91..."

Old 09-06-2008, 08:22 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by petevb
Weight.

Yes, the word is that the next turbo and GT3, cup, etc will all have derivatives of the new "street" block. PET parts lists, etc, already confirm this for the cup cars.

I am hesitant, but I think this will be a good move. As most know the most current GT2/3/turbo motor is a derivative of the air-cooled 964 motor designed in the late 80s; they had water jackets, etc added after the fact. As such it's a very heavy design- a 3.6L cup motor, dressed, is heavier than Porsche's own Carrera GT or a 7.0 liter Z06, but makes less power.

A modern clean sheet of paper design would in theory fix that, perhaps saving around 100 lbs off the heavy end of the car for a motor of similar power. That in turn would have a disproportionate effect on the overall car, closer to saving 200 lbs elsewhere.

The question is weather the bean-counters or the engineers will design the motor. If they let the engineers have at it I'm convinced it will be good overall, though I agree teething troubles are likely the first years...

100 lbs is a bit of a stretch, considering it's only 11 lbs lighter than the current 997 motor.

I'll still hold my judgement for a few years until it's been tested in the GT3 etc.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:31 AM
petevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
100 lbs is a bit of a stretch, considering it's only 11 lbs lighter than the current 997 motor.
"Only 11 lbs lighter than a 997 motor" makes it ~110+ lbs lighter than a 997 GT3 street motor. There is a huge difference between the current 997 S and GT3 motor weights.

Like I said...

Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Much like the 997 GT3 is 3075 lbs I guess.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Exactly- now you know part of the reason why it's so heavy. Or why you'll almost never find a published weight for a GT3 motor, despite the fact that the M96 (996), M97 (997) and M80 (Carrera GT) weights were all well publicized by Porsche. Porsche has done a good job keeping the motor weight for it's flagships quite, for good reason...

Old 09-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Surfer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
The people not complaining to PNA that all of our GT3s come with sunroofs, and that the RS's arent really RS's, yet buying them up like hotcakes are the problem. Especially when GT3's are being sold used for more than new and RS's are bringing crazy money.

Porsche is catering to the majority, and those are the people who are happy with a Porsche badge and a occasional tool around the track. The people that really care about the heritage of the GT1 block, and know the confidence you can have in it, are decreasing greatly.

Porsche reports awesome profits this year yet everywhere we look, they are cutting costs. Maybe the PDK is costing too much since they have been trying for so long unseccessfully to get it working. Who knows.

All I know is that when Porsche sells non GT1 block cars all with paddle shifters, PDK/Auto's, sunroofs, while making them heavier and softer, I'm no longer interested.
Agree, and I'm still of the thought that sunroof in a GT3 is akin to wanting cup holders in a Viper lol.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:11 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Guys...the new engine "might" be great. Let's let Porsche race it (they may already be doing so....) and come back with design changes. I suspect the new 4.0 DI engines running in the gt3RSR's right now are perhaps using some of the new technology....but I have no idea. I would hope so though.

If they could give us a turbo with 7500 RPM, 100 lb weight savings and PDK compatibility.....

(and no rms leaks or blow ups at 600hp)....

Old 09-13-2008, 10:34 PM
wachuko is infamous around these parts
Hey, as long as they take it to the track... and we get the same engines they trash at the races... that is all I am looking for...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 Porsche TT with non-turbo engine?