996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 vs Boxster Handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 AM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
^^i don't think so. but that's just me driving it verses the 996 even with TC. i think the mid engine weight distribution helps. =D

Last edited by BoxsterGirlie01; 09-09-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by live2shift
Do you think the Boxster is easier to spin because it doesn't have PSM?
No. It's because of its lower relative polar moment of inertia.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:18 AM
live2shift is infamous around these parts
I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering but I must admit I have no idea what a "lower relative polar moment of inertia" is?

In layman terms I would think the "pendulum like" engine hanging off the rear of any 911 would cause the car to snap and spin far easier then a mid engine car?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Not neccessarily, mid engine cars are notoriously unpredictable at the limit. 911's are easier to snap oversteer, but you always know what to expect. The mig engine config can leave you wondering how the car will react.

A big part of the reason the CGT was said to be so hard to control and why the GT2 is almost as fast with less hp.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering but I must admit I have no idea what a "lower relative polar moment of inertia" is?

In layman terms I would think the "pendulum like" engine hanging off the rear of any 911 would cause the car to snap and spin far easier then a mid engine car?
The farther away the mass is from the center of rotation, the harder it is to make the car turn....or spin.

So an ice skater initiates a spin with their arms extended. He then pulls his arms in to his chest. What happens?

http://ironduke7.tripod.com/polarmoment.htm

Old 09-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Something doesn't make sense here. Yes in a balanced design like the Ice skater example, where the skaters arms are equidistant from the center making it hard to spin makes sense but..

Dock: If what you are saying is true about it being harder to spin the farther the mass is from the center of rotation, I propose this example: Compare a resonably balanced car such as the Boxster with decent front to rear weight distribution and compare it to the same car with a 500 lb. weight attached to a pole sticking out of the rear of the car 10 feet. Now drive around a twisty track and tell me which cars spins off the track easier?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Something doesn't make sense here. Yes in a balanced design like the Ice skater example, where the skaters arms are equidistant from the center making it hard to spin makes sense but..

Dock: If what you are saying is true about it being harder to spin the farther the mass is from the center of rotation, I propose this example: Compare a resonably balanced car such as the Boxster with decent front to rear weight distribution and compare it to the same car with a 500 lb. weight attached to a pole sticking out of the rear of the car 10 feet. Now drive around a twisty track and tell me which cars spins off the track easier?
The issue here is the definition of the word "spin"....

"spin: to revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis"

As for the ice skater, try having him hold a 20 lb dumbell with one hand, then have him extend both arms out (he now has a dumbell in one hand and nothing in the other) . Now have him try to "spin" (see definition above) in that configuration. Now think of the 911...much harder to spin than the Boxster. And when the rear end on the 911 does come out...slides out...it's much more predictable and controllable than the Boxster.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dock (Atlanta)
The issue here is the definition of the word "spin"....

"spin: to revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis"

As for the ice skater, try having him hold a 20 lb dumbell with one hand, then have him extend both arms out (he now has a dumbell in one hand and nothing in the other) . Now have him try to "spin" (see definition above) in that configuration. Now think of the 911...much harder to spin than the Boxster. And when the rear end on the 911 does come out...slides out...it's much more predictable and controllable than the Boxster.
I think people have a hard time picturing this because when you say spin they automatically think spin out.

Boxster will spin around it's axis easier while 911 would loose the grip at the rear first and possibly spin out when you run out of lock in the front.

With the boxster, since the centrifugal forces in a turn excell similar load on both outside tires, the direction of the spin would depend on which wheel lets go first. Which in turn is hard to predict because of the engine being in the center. With the 911 we know what's gonna give from the get go.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:03 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
in order someone to be able to verify handling and wheel grip from 996 to 986,he/she needs to have both cars drivien with the same tires,suspension and of course driver at the same rate of efford.when i switched from the monsterous Z3M Supercharged at 450rear wheel hp to P cars...It was a different world...The first P car I bought was a '04 boxster S with the optional 18''turbo wheels...I installed Porsche sport suspension and porsche wheel spacers...the car had amazing handling,excellent grip and phenomenous overall feeling about the way it keeps the desired line...The only disadvantage was that when cornering at extreme pressure(always with PSM ON)and decided or forced to brake suddenly the car was understeering about a whole car lane...This and only this...I kept the car one year and replaced it with a '02 Carrera 2 cabrio with 18'' carrera wheels.I installed porsche sport suspension and porsche wheel spacers...so same circumstances except for tires.on boxster they were dunlop while on the carrera they were Pzero...the car handled excellent,it was a little worse when cornering until 160km but was more confident above that speed...It never understeered...never,even if I engaged ABS while cornering on the limit...However sometimes the rear end seemed to have its own opinion on following the car...while boxster always felt like one piece...One time with the carrera i overpressured the car in a right corner and the rear end oversteered at 150km...PSM flashed like a christmas tree for 2 seconds and everything was ok...Boxster never did that on the same corner...I believe that as you tend to reach the limits boxster is more friendly until 160km...above that the carrera makes you thing you can corner it everywhere...And then I got the TURBO...'03 turbo with techart suspension,wheel spacers and michelin PS1 tires...I really love this car.It is the first car I do not want to sell it...i believe it is the TOP of sport automobiles(I speak for TT so including 997TT as well)The level of confidence this car gives me in extraordinary...On the other hand it might be the torque and power as well...on 99%of surfaces I corner faster with the turbo than the others...However on its limit at low speed cornering it has a slight understeer that PSM does not correct in time and so it may become dangerous...this is the only point that carrera might be better...i might need to change to Pzero...In turbo you accelerate and corner so fast that you need to make real efford to keep the steering wheel to drive precisely the car...The most difficult while fast cornering is to keep myself in the sport seat...

Last edited by skandalis447; 09-10-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Great information everyone, and Skandalis, your real world comparison is excellent. Anyone else have hand-on experience with the 2 cars?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Anyone else have hand-on experience with the 2 cars?
I owned a '98 Boxster, then an '02 Boxster before getting my Turbo in '02.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
We've actually considered getting a CaymenS and starting it on a track day scheme... I think that car is capable of some decent times, especially given the weight, the power and the chassis design. I was timing a couple of the faster ones in Blue group this past weekend, and with novice/intermediate drivers in fairly dense traffic I timed several 2:18-19s... That's pretty decent for novices.

Mike

Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 AM
CaptPegLeg is infamous around these parts
I had a Boxter S and now have a TT. I'm still a novice on road courses so I can't really add anything in the techno jargon. I can tell you that as much as I enjoyed the Boxster on the track, I enjoy the TT even more. Both have/had stock suspension so I know I'm missing a lot of input from the car but I feel more comfortable in the TT. The Boxster, when pushed hard, always felt like if it did let go of grip, it would not be easy to recover from and lead to an AW S**t moment. With the TT, I know when the rear end is loosing it and I feel like I can recover it leading to a WOW S**T moment. The AWD certainly helps in that regard, at least for me and my limited skills.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:25 PM
There is no doubt the turbo is a HAMMER, a surgical driving tool. I have owned many BMW's and they are certainly the ultimate driving machine, but the turbo is just in another class of driving experience. I have only had the boxster for a week and bought it specifically to be able to get back to my nimble sports car roots that I was missing with the heavier AWD turbo.

The Boxster reminds me of my MGB's, Porsche 914, and Miata all rolled into one with a far sweeter engine and suspension than any of them. Not that the Turbo is that heavy but on a small track or autocross it is a bit large/heavy. Overall the turbo it absolutely amazing right out of the box.

I have to say, ever since owning the 996 turbo I am ruined! The bar for me is now set so high that every other car I drive is compared to it, and it just limits the affordable choices for my next automotive love!!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Pierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura about
well this video is really seft-answer this topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Woq6FinIzlw

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 vs Boxster Handling