996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Calling Guys With FVD or Softronic Programming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Calling Guys With FVD or Softronic Programming

I tried to install my k-16 programming today. I have FVD but of course Softronic uses the same program. Any ideas? Here is what happened....

I went to install the tuned file today. Everything was fine until packet 106,000 or so (about halfway through according to the bars, about 7-8 minutes in).....then it stops and I get a message to cycle the power and start over. I assume this means disconnect everything, restart the computer and start again......

No go....the computer is now having trouble recognizing the cable....you hear the ding-dong as you plug in and unpplug but you don't get the message saying its ready to use. So I re-install the software.....actually it says repair the software so I say OK. Now it would recognize the cable but when I re-start the software, the software won't get to the writing stage....and the cable never goes from green to red, like it did when it was reading last week or writing the first time I tried it.

Did everything on my side, made sure the USB port was working using other devices, re-started it many times, even restored it to a couple of days ago.....nothing.....can't re-install the original file either.

The car now has electric power and accessories, but won't start....and gives a failure indication when you try.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:43 PM
MariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the rough
Try another computer?

Old 09-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
The computer seems fine, other USB devices work, I'm typing on it right now......

Old 09-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Try rebooting the ECU? uplug the battery and reconnect after 5 minutes?

Never done this. But it might help. You will need your radio code if you unplug the battery.

Originally Posted by Shark01
The computer seems fine, other USB devices work, I'm typing on it right now......

Old 09-06-2008, 06:00 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
when I had FVD flash my car the first cable they used was no good...it went thru about half of the process and could not complete, they tried another cable and it worked no problems.. my bet is its your cable, try to get another cable from them.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by boca996tt
when I had FVD flash my car the first cable they used was no good...it went thru about half of the process and could not complete, they tried another cable and it worked no problems.. my bet is its your cable, try to get another cable from them.
Boca.....this sounds EXACTLY like what happened to mine. Was your car unable to start after the cable malfunctioned? I'm worried my ecu is hosed.....

Old 09-06-2008, 08:11 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
as I recall, we didnt try to start the car, the FVD tech saw that the computer was not downloading the file and then tried with a new cable and then it downloaded with no problems...

Old 09-06-2008, 09:03 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
I used the softronic two separate cables for two separate cars and did not run into this issue. My tuner is Protomotive. Good luck.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
I'm not sure what the problem is, but it is known that if the computer fails in the "middle" of an upload, you may not be able to re-flash unless the ECU is somehow restored or repaired by someone with more equipment than you will possess.... that is why they are carefull to point out to make sure the computer and the car both have uninterruped power -so that neither dies in the middle of an upload. I think you are in this middle area and may have the problem that they try to avoid.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by John D
I'm not sure what the problem is, but it is known that if the computer fails in the "middle" of an upload, you may not be able to re-flash unless the ECU is somehow restored or repaired by someone with more equipment than you will possess.... that is why they are carefull to point out to make sure the computer and the car both have uninterruped power -so that neither dies in the middle of an upload. I think you are in this middle area and may have the problem that they try to avoid.
Good point, but unlike a situation where the car battery or laptop battery failed, the software stopped all by itself, it just stopped transmitting data and gave me the message to cycle the power and start over, so I'm hoping it didn't stop in the middle of a file write and knew I COULD start over.

The more I think about what happened with Boca, it sounds like a cable thing because a couple of times after reinstalling the software, the cable was detected but by the time I opened the internet connection and got the software going again, the cable icon disappeared, like a loose connection (because you have to move the computer around alot when you have it inside the car)

Fingers crossed......

Last edited by Shark01; 09-06-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:40 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
I hope you are right. I had one upload fail, but it was before it started to actually upload any data. It went through the steps to get to the point where it begins the upload and failed before the upload began. I was able to reboot and upload without a problem and it never did it again. By the sound of it, I think this is what may have happened to larry (BOCA) too.

I know once the upload begins, the dash lights up with that big red "FAILURE" message until the upload is complete. My impression was that this is the area where you do not want an interruption. Hopefully, you will be able to just overwrite the half installed file with a good cable and be done.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Mz3bo is infamous around these parts
Didn't know softronic was the same as FVd...

Old 09-07-2008, 07:04 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
John, sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Good luck. I have a spare ecu if you need it.

Mz3bo- They are not the same. FVD use the Softronic cable and laptop software but the engine programming/tuning is done by FVD. There are other tuners that also use the softronic cable and laptop software for their tuning. This enables the programming to be loaded by the individual, avoiding the inconvenience of removing the ecu and mailing it off to be programmed.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the contributions everyone.

On this difference between Softronic and FVD (and others), the backbone programs are the same, each company develops their own maps.....although I hear some just buy maps from others.

Chris, good to hear from you......we finally returned home from Russia with a new daughter (Svetlana) last month. Thats why its taken so long to install the software. Good to know there are some used ecus floating around H-town if this one is shot.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shark01
Thanks for the contributions everyone.

On this difference between Softronic and FVD (and others), the backbone programs are the same, each company develops their own maps.....although I hear some just buy maps from others.

Chris, good to hear from you......we finally returned home from Russia with a new daughter (Svetlana) last month. Thats why its taken so long to install the software. Good to know there are some used ecus floating around H-town if this one is shot.

I can fix this one for you if need be.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Calling Guys With FVD or Softronic Programming