996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Failure Indicator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:42 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Failure Indicator

Failure Indicator central computer message came on and then went off. I also noticed oil pressure gauge dropping to (0) zero momentarily.

Only happened twice.

Oil sender unit, contact’s corrosion?

I have no oil leaks and oil level normal.

Anyone had it and knows what it is?

Thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 04:57 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I replaced my oil pressure sender while the engine was out of the car for other reasons....relatively cheap part. My problem went away after a few weeks on its own....but I changed the part out anyway when opportunity knocked.

I was told this was a common problem in all 996's.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-08-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:33 AM
liquidcool is infamous around these parts
Well here's the problem - the oil sender unit has two terminals - one for on/off there is oil pressure (this triggers the light) and one for variable resistance (this drives the analog gauge).

Now if the computer says no pressure and the gauge says no pressure, odds are you had no pressure for a second which could be due to a piece of debris or something floating around getting caught in one of the oil channels around the motor. OR the pressure relief valve for the oil pump was stuck open so it's pumping but the valve is letting it all back into the sump. It's extremely rare for the pump itself to fail since it's gear driven by the motor, not electronic.

In any case, you need to have the sender changed - it's only about $75 plus an hour or two of labor. It's located behind the throttle body. Fingers crossed that fixes it for you.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 AM
cab2u is infamous around these parts
I just brought mine in for the same problem. Assumed it was the sending unit. Dealer claimed it was the instrument cluster ($several thousand dollars but my car was cpo, so free). We will see if it happens again.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
it's a very common problem on the 996TT. I don't think you had debri it's a bad switch. It's happened on all 3 of TT's

Old 09-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by kilrgt
it's a very common problem on the 996TT. I don't think you had debri it's a bad switch. It's happened on all 3 of TT's
Huh, thanks.

So as long as the oil is topped up nothing sinister can happen? Switch difficult to get at?

Old 09-08-2008, 03:05 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I would still want to make sure so you should replace the sending unit , you can never be to careful. It sounds like the sending unit. It's not a real hard job but having small hands would help.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
I had the same problem and it was intermittant. The sending unit was going bad. Replaced it and no more lights/warnings.