996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just Got My First Spanking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
You'll not likely win a drag race from a dig given the difficulty of the TT to launch vs computer controlled everything. But ECU/Exhaust on a Turbo S you should leave one way back, no need for new turbos.
At a drag strip you should have plenty of chance. The GTR's launch control isn't to "staging" friendly so getting the car in the beams and keeping the control activated has been difficult as reported by quite a few magazines. With a proper launch at the track and some minor modifications it should make for a good race which the 996 prevails.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
guess all the 911TT guys who say the GTR times are ringer times should finally quiet up...

Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
At a drag strip you should have plenty of chance. The GTR's launch control isn't to "staging" friendly so getting the car in the beams and keeping the control activated has been difficult as reported by quite a few magazines. With a proper launch at the track and some minor modifications it should make for a good race which the 996 prevails.

Even a 12.0 isnt easy to run every time, certainly not high 11's. If we are talking a flashed Turbo S you'll walk it down heavily, but the launch may get you. I agree on the launch being difficult, but I havent seen where too many people have been botching it.

I'm am excellent shifter but not very good at launching, so not a big deal to me, and my car is running road course type negative camber so launching isnt fun anyways.

The 997 TT is faster hands down in this area, there are threads on what it takes to beat the 997 TT, and a flashed/exhaust K16 car can run with one soit wont take any more than that to beat the GTR. If you can launch that is.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
guess all the 911TT guys who say the GTR times are ringer times should finally quiet up...

Nope, actually even more reason than ever to doubt it.

More and more GT-R's going to the strip and more an more trap 114 mph (while running 12's), I've seen a stock 996 Turbo Cab do that in less than ideal conditions.

See for yourself.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24768

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24566

many more of these with 115's and 116's than anything near 120.

A FAR FAR cry from the 120's and 121's (need I harp on the fake 124 mph trap from car and driver again?) We were seeing in the mags. Note- a 2.0 60' is good enough to acheive a good trap speed, so they are not botching launches.

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-10-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Quote from a GT-R owner.

"I really hope these engines are just tight and that there's another 3-5/10ths once they loosen up. If not, we'll all need COBB just to equal the magazine cars! "

Old 09-10-2008, 10:57 PM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by oak
you need to prime your turbos! if you pulling up after a leasurely drive your turbos are not primed and your ecu is in clog mode. a vw bug will hole shoot you..
My turbos are pretty much primed all the time.

He definitely got me on the launch. I didn't think he was gonna go for it. That said, my shifting is pretty good, but my launches could probably be a lot better.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:02 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Nope, actually even more reason than ever to doubt it.

More and more GT-R's going to the strip and more an more trap 114 mph (while running 12's), I've seen a stock 996 Turbo Cab do that in less than ideal conditions.

See for yourself.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24768

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24566

many more of these with 115's and 116's than anything near 120.

A FAR FAR cry from the 120's and 121's (need I harp on the fake 124 mph trap from car and driver again?) We were seeing in the mags. Note- a 2.0 60' is good enough to acheive a good trap speed, so they are not botching launches.

I'm still on the fence, here is a prime example of a GTR that was able to take down a 996TT (a couple mods) with ease...

Old 09-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Jesus is infamous around these parts

Note- a 2.0 60' is good enough to acheive a good trap speed, so they are not botching launches.
I definately agree with you, and definately 114-115 traps farrrrrrr from what most magazines are claiming.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm still on the fence, here is a prime example of a GTR that was able to take down a 996TT (a couple mods) with ease...

I refer you to the old addage "anything can happen on the street". Because it can. If you venture over to the 997 TT forum you'll see that quite a few guys have outrun GT-R's in stock 997 TT's.

And it had an ECU mod which we've seen all kind of variance on around here. That's it. Which on a Turbo S really should be faster than a 997 TT and consequently faster than the GT-R. I'm going to have to go with a weak ECU flash or driver skill. There isnt nearly enough information to draw a decent conclusion. There are ECU mods out for the GT-R now anyways and they are getting bought like hot cakes. That would be more realistic.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 PM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
A GT-R with a modded ECU? Aw crap.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Agreed, 100%

But still, with some wastegate springs and an exhaust you will out torque and out HP him.

If that's not enough, $1200 for 24/18gs, $500 for some new injectors and a (not so expensive if you already have a GIAC flash) upgrade and look out Skyline... and I'm not talking about this model skyline, but the next one . The R36.

All this from a car that debuted in 2000.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:53 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
On the street, I think the GTR's launch control and electronic shifting are it's biggest assets. It's great to compare magazine times, but most of us can't drive like the pro's and the GTR takes a lot of the driver error out of the equation. Especially if you're taking off from a dead stop. Like I said before, I've already run one and it was truly impressive to watch that car go from a stoplight. And that car was bone stock.

I hate to say it but most of you are going to get your asses handed to you in the "stop light to stop light" game.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Banned
Cornfed is a jewel in the roughCornfed is a jewel in the roughCornfed is a jewel in the roughCornfed is a jewel in the rough
I would never run one from a dig but at a roll I have no probelm.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:39 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Very simple solution. If you beat them join them.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:23 AM
The biggest concern is from the stoplight and i guess that makes a lot of sense, it's not really finding out which car is faster from a dig, it's finding who has the better launch and in that case, the GTR will reign supreme to just about anything out there

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just Got My First Spanking