996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are you For or Against the Stock Air Box - Check This Out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
GreggT can get it Or if you want, send me that 1 hose, I will update it and ship it back to you.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:43 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Just received, from Dan at Vivid, my re-designed intake snorkel that fits the Samco hoses. Nice job and a quick turn around. You went the extra mile for this Dan. Thanks much. Your customer service is second to none.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 PM
markporsche is infamous around these parts
This is a well written list of things to have and or do for this install. I had problems with mine initially as well.

eg. holes not exact match up, etc.
Suggested elongated holes for the snorkel be added as the vivid team continues to build these. The other tip which is also listed above is the use of a new rubber washer or grommet to replace the factory piece for the bracket.

This solved my issue of how the unit sat in the engine bay.

Also agree with the comments that one long foam seal strip in the kit would be great.

Vivid could also update the instructions so that they reference and picture the foam seal on the intake snorkel.

Here is what I say about the performance:

I had a evoms intake a while back with a fabspeed exhaust and was hitting 1.2 -1.3 bar with giac software.

I have since gone back to my stock exhaust with the DIY bypass holes and added this intake and my boost levels are at 1.1-1.2.

In effect for a fraction of the cost and no drone I am getting much of the performance I had before with the load combination of fabspeed and the evoms intake. What's best is that the car does not hurt my head anymore and I love it.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 AM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by markporsche
Here is what I say about the performance:

I had a evoms intake a while back with a fabspeed exhaust and was hitting 1.2 -1.3 bar with giac software.

I have since gone back to my stock exhaust with the DIY bypass holes and added this intake and my boost levels are at 1.1-1.2.
How would the exhaust/intake affect the boost levels?

If the ECU is programmed to deliver a set amount of boost, once the desired boost is reached, the solenoid signals the wastegates to open and let the excess ext. gas out, so I dont see how changing the intake or exhaust would deliver more boost.

While you can pick up extra power/response at same boost level with other mods, the boost level should not vary by changing out the i/e.

Am I missing something? Is this something P-car specific?

Thanks, TK

Old 01-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tvr-4
How would the exhaust/intake affect the boost levels?

If the ECU is programmed to deliver a set amount of boost, once the desired boost is reached, the solenoid signals the wastegates to open and let the excess ext. gas out, so I dont see how changing the intake or exhaust would deliver more boost.

While you can pick up extra power/response at same boost level with other mods, the boost level should not vary by changing out the i/e.

Am I missing something? Is this something P-car specific?

Thanks, TK
This is the way it is supposed to work.
Might be seeing a boost peak before the ECU has a chance to drop it back down. Good flowing intake and exhaust cause turbos to spin quicker right? so maybe the boost is hitting a slightly higher peak, but I cannot imagine it being much more than 0.1 bar and it probably disappears as quick as it appears. A guess anyway.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:42 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Dan ... Thanks for the fix to accomodate the SAMCOs....your patience & service appreciated.

Yes I agree on the hole placement and the rear anchor point ... things I mentioned in my initial write up.

Per the foam seal .... I don't know why anyone wouldn't just use a second OE Porsche $20. seal .... so it matches the right side ...... fits perfect .... see my original pics.

Performance ..... this really is not a performance mod (IMHO) ..... I ran with a cut-up OE air box for 4 years .... I'm just shy of 600 ponies and boost at 1.2 ..... now I just have a better feeling that cooler air is coming in .... but here in WI that's really only was a big factor except in the middle of summer, sitting at stop sign (ie heat soak).
But generally there's a pretty good draft back there at 90-160 mph anyway
Hey the mod looks good .... accomplishes what it should.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
GreggT - glad you got that new piece. Post up some new pics if you could.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Dan .... really looks identical to the very last one I posted in this thread ...a few pages back.

(Only you, I, and Larry know that the scoop piece takes a slightly different contour now).
But yes ... I'll throw another pic up when I can.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor
I just figured a pic showing it fitted with the samco would be good

Old 01-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Vivid Racing Dual Snorkel Intake

Now that mine is installed, the one comment to make is that the factory unit has 3 drain holes, which I assume are there for water to drain out if you drive in the rain or if when washing the car water gets into the intake. Guessing that drain holes need to be drilled into the vivid unit. Anyone do that or notice the difference?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Former Vendor
There is drain holes in the units. Not sure why yours had so many issues. They are all pulled from the same mold. I can replace it for you. Let me know what needs to be done.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Lets work on a replacement then.
Its starting to feel like what I received is not whats being produced now..
email:mpettif1@cscus.jnj.com

Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Former Vendor
All from the same mold. But if you want to return that for another one, I can send you a call tag. Based on your pics, the "look" will be the same. You tell me, what you would like.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 AM
996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold
I installed my intake yesterday, and now I have a slight surge when cruising. Would that be the MAF or a vacuum leak somewhere? The intake fit great and looks great.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Former Vendor
Check to make sure that when you put the OEM back half of the boxes MAF tube all the way on to that rubber coupler. The underside could be pinched.

Please post pics of your kit installed!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are you For or Against the Stock Air Box - Check This Out!