996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are you For or Against the Stock Air Box - Check This Out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Dont know about Tom...

Old 10-18-2008, 08:42 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
AirBox

Hey Dan, so installed the airbox the other night.
this thing looks horny! I did notice the midrange opened up more. sorry i cant tell if it sounds any different i am running 100 cell cats and Race mufflers.
I have to say the fit and finish is excellent. to make it eazy for the end user who wont install it them self's i would add the instructions in the box. Other then that PERFECT!!

John@Speedtech- I am putting the tubing on after i go to the track here Tomorrow and see what it runs with just the Airbox.

Again Dan great piece of FUNCTIONAL EYE CANDY!!

Last edited by UrbanHotrod; 10-18-2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-2008, 08:55 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
now looking at the intake. I'm wondering if water and exposure will start to be an issue on the air filter. does the air filter get wet easily when washing the car or just rain?

Old 10-18-2008, 09:06 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oak
now looking at the intake. I'm wondering if water and exposure will start to be an issue on the air filter. does the air filter get wet easily when washing the car or just rain?
Didn't have an issue last night after i installed it i washed the car. It has the drain holes so i cant see the water or rain doing anything as the stock box is designed the same way and since the filter is in the reverse flow of the way the water or rain would flow they would never com in contact unless you wash the engine bay and don't cover the airbox

Old 10-18-2008, 03:38 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
OK ..... I gotta be doing something wrong here.
Mod arrived .... all looks well .... finish is ave. & OK, but 'fit' to rear of box is problematic....see the pics.
Anyone who has already done the mod, possibly you can set me straight.
I'd like to get the car back together but, as it sits I may just re-install the OE box ... and re-approach the project next weekend.
TIA

Old 10-18-2008, 03:50 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PALETTE
Didn't have an issue last night after i installed it i washed the car. It has the drain holes so i cant see the water or rain doing anything as the stock box is designed the same way and since the filter is in the reverse flow of the way the water or rain would flow they would never com in contact unless you wash the engine bay and don't cover the airbox
yes, I know there are holes to drain the passive water at the bottom of the box, but what about a down pour of rain? I'm sure the filter would become saturated and possible mafs issues due excessive moisture.

if you look at the factory hole and notice how it is off set to counter measure this.

why does the box look unfinished? is that with out the clear coat? looks pretty rough. why are there gaps?!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:24 PM
You need to dremiel the sides of the air box off so its seals. I did this to mine, Unless i was wrong but i think i am correct, unless Dan says no?

Last edited by UrbanHotrod; 10-18-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:26 PM
oak
wtf?! no damn instructions again?!! calling danvivid...

Old 10-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Why would there be issues with water? Do you have issues with your stock box? Then you wont with this either. There are the same drain holes in this front cover as there are on the OEM piece. The pieces are finished actually. We decided to do these as a "Dry Carbon" finish pulled straight from the mold. It has some of a gloss to it. When you clear coat carbon, it can take almost 12 coats adding $200 in material. And even with that many coats, sometimes pinholes will still be there. Carbon is porous. Ask LandJet, he saw a cleared one...

Another GREAT looking, functioning, and price product from Vivid Racing for those that are interested!

Instructions are on the product page and linked in this thread. Yes you need to trim or dremel that edge. Thanks for the comments Palette. Gregg if you need help email me your number.

Product - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...5-p-54604.html
Instructions - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...?cID=10&pID=75

You can see the edge dremeled here -

Last edited by vividracing; 10-18-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:47 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Yep ... I read your posted instructs ... no mention of this issue.
It's significant .. I can deal w/it. Probably will saw & cut before I Dremel .... but can do.
Thanks

Old 10-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Former Vendor
Gregg - see you lurking, if you need help, shoot me a email to my iphone as I am headed out! - merm@vividracing.com.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:46 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
Sounds good Dan. We're supposed to have nice weather this weekend so I'll record the first part with the stock box. New airbox, snorkel, and exhaust will be installed at the end of the month.

What about Tom Kerr? Did he check in yet with track data?
mine is not in yet, I only got the front and since I dont have the stock airbox to mate it with, it is a no go for me. on way to Daytona in 2 weeks.

this time last year is when I ran the first Vivid box. so I have data to compare.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Szpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud of
Is there any pricedifference between the "dry carbon" finished and the clearcoated?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:57 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Stupid question, how big is the hole in the inner deck lid you make to let the air through and what is the easiest way to do it please, pic would be highly appreciated

Old 10-19-2008, 10:19 AM
i made a hole that was 1 1/2" x 7. sorry i didnt take a picture of it. it was basically the size that was between the 2 stickers.
I used the Dremel to do it.
I think that the Carbon Finish is Great. I am happy and i am a Fussy guy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are you For or Against the Stock Air Box - Check This Out!