996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hurricane Ike and 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:46 AM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Hurricane Ike and 996TT

Well, Hurricane Ike is about to slam into Houston and my flight out to San Fran to buy my 996tt has been canceled.

I already had a PPI done and the car checked out. The seller and I won't be able to meet up for another three weekends before and we are discussing the possibility of calling the deal off. If you were me, would you just take delivery of the car without seeing it in person or would you walk away?

Anyone in SF want to check it out for me?

Edwin

Old 09-11-2008, 11:28 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
That's unfortunate Edwin. I wouldn't buy it unseen.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Chris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear it Edwin. If the PPI was done at a very reputable shop and you trust the car is clean...then i dont see why not?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:59 AM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
That's unfortunate Edwin. I wouldn't buy it unseen.
Stay safe bro

Originally Posted by Chris S
Sorry to hear it Edwin. If the PPI was done at a very reputable shop and you trust the car is clean...then i dont see why not?
yeah... after the CMC fiasco with the white 996tt, I would love to check it out before I buy but I don't know...

Edwin

Old 09-11-2008, 01:04 PM
wct8920 is infamous around these parts
Don't buy anything without seeing it first

Old 09-11-2008, 09:10 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
I bought my car sight unseen. I was extremely thorough though...

Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I'd wait and play it safe. It's not like you're spending a few hundred dollars.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 PM
jgdynamics has a spectacular aura aboutjgdynamics has a spectacular aura aboutjgdynamics has a spectacular aura about
true, i would take the time to check it out, dont get stuck with a bad car. just my 2 cents.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
I would see it before buying also, because you never know....

Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
WARDHOG is infamous around these parts
look at it first

Old 09-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Small Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to all
Your PPI is clean and there HAS to be someone here that can look at it. Then go for it.

I have bought several this way and always worked for me.

On the other hand if the guy can't be a BIT patient (it is a freaking Hurricane for God's sake) there may be an issue. But who knows.

My .02 is not worth the copper it is stamped on

Old 09-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Ray C. is infamous around these parts
I purchased mine from Houston 2 years ago with just a PPI and pictures. Everything was as described. Good Luck

Old 09-12-2008, 07:17 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Start 2 new threads, 1 in the 996TT section and 1 in the NorCal section asking a 6speeder to go check it out for you and take some additional pics. Somebody will.
Since the PPI checked out, after that, I would feel comfortable taking delivery of it if I were you.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Edwin, does Akram know any Porsche technicians in SF that can inspect it?

My experience: I bought mine sight unseen. Once I sent the money I was freaking out for days before I took delivery. I felt like an idiot: "How could I have taken such a chance?" When it finally arrived, it was better than I had hoped. Now it is 3+ years later and I still love it. The previous 3 years I went through 5 cars!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
M32
Originally Posted by Small Shrimp
Your PPI is clean and there HAS to be someone here that can look at it. Then go for it.

I have bought several this way and always worked for me.

On the other hand if the guy can't be a BIT patient (it is a freaking Hurricane for God's sake) there may be an issue. But who knows.

My .02 is not worth the copper it is stamped on
He is being patient with me and has agreed to wait but he also is going out of town for the next two weekends so it's going to be three weeks before we can meet up, hence why I'm asking if I should just call it off.

Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Start 2 new threads, 1 in the 996TT section and 1 in the NorCal section asking a 6speeder to go check it out for you and take some additional pics. Somebody will.
Since the PPI checked out, after that, I would feel comfortable taking delivery of it if I were you.
I'll post it up. Thanks

Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Edwin, does Akram know any Porsche technicians in SF that can inspect it?

My experience: I bought mine sight unseen. Once I sent the money I was freaking out for days before I took delivery. I felt like an idiot: "How could I have taken such a chance?" When it finally arrived, it was better than I had hoped. Now it is 3+ years later and I still love it. The previous 3 years I went through 5 cars!

Chris, I haven't asked him. I've bugged him enough I know what you mean about sending money (esp in such large amount) without even having the car in front of me. Are you hunkering down or going out of town?

Just wanted to share a pic of my house as I await Ike's landfall. See you all around on the other side of the storm

Edwin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hurricane Ike and 996TT