996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which ECU Flash is better GIAC or Evolution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:28 PM
ggarza007 is infamous around these parts
Which ECU Flash is better GIAC or Evolution?

I have a 2004 996 TT X50 with the 1 bar GIAC Flash. The car is compleatly modified and I am pushing 550 - 575 HP. I have the Evoms V Flow air intake and have blown several MAF in the past several months. Several months ago Evolution sent me the waffle insert and that has taken care of the problem for the mean time. I just found out that Evolution just came out with a Hitachi MAF that would take care of blowing out the stock Bosch MAF and would allow me to remove the waffle insert. In order to replace the stock Bosch MAF with the Hitachi MAF, I have to reflash my ECU with Evolution.

Has anyone tried this mod?

Which ECU flash is better GIAC or Evolution?

Will I gain more HP or loose HP?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:16 AM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
I had both.

Go with the EVOMSit w/ HMAF.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks for your response NineNineSixTT. Did you notice any HP or boost gain with the Evolution flash?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:49 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Revo

Old 09-12-2008, 12:09 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
As far as programs go, my giac flash never ran correctly.

As far as performance, I believe the Evomsit flashes are far more balanced/linear.

From the various evomsit and giac dyno graphs i've seen; giac graphs tend to have dead spots along the rpm band.

Check out my dyno graph:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...o-results.html

Ggarza, I noticed you are located in LA. If you want to go for a ride, let me know ...

Also, if you are blowing mafs constatly, you need to upgrade to the Hitachi Maf. I blew 6 mafs, but its not just about the money, it really sucks when you are at a GTG, and boom you blow a maf.

Last edited by NineNineSixTT; 09-12-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:01 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
I've been running the EVO GIAC GT640 program for quite some time - using stock air-box and have not had a single hic-up or blown MAF.

Which GIAC program do you have and is it matched to your modifications?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
The evo "fix" will prevent any future MAF problems. The issue was caused by the EVO box, not the GIAC flash. I went thought it as well.

First make sure you have the X50 program (you probably do).

I suggest getting upgraded wastegates with your current flash. As is, your current wastegate springs are too soft and prevent you from building strong boost. This is a physical limitation that can not be programmed out by anyone. It's night and day in terms of performance. You will see up to 1.2 bar.

See my graph below on 91 octane. The GIAC flash adapts to higher octane as well. I know from direct communication with GIAC.

GIAC makes great products and have flashes for many setups.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 09-12-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all of your feedback and responses. I just ordered the Evolution Hitachi MAF upgrade. I will keep you guys posted once it's installed.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:49 PM
hector mestre is infamous around these parts
Question reflashing ecu

Originally Posted by ggarza007
I have a 2004 996 TT X50 with the 1 bar GIAC Flash. The car is compleatly modified and I am pushing 550 - 575 HP. I have the Evoms V Flow air intake and have blown several MAF in the past several months. Several months ago Evolution sent me the waffle insert and that has taken care of the problem for the mean time. I just found out that Evolution just came out with a Hitachi MAF that would take care of blowing out the stock Bosch MAF and would allow me to remove the waffle insert. In order to replace the stock Bosch MAF with the Hitachi MAF, I have to reflash my ECU with Evolution.

Has anyone tried this mod?

Which ECU flash is better GIAC or Evolution?

Will I gain more HP or loose HP?
i have the evoms 600 hp on a 996 tt i had the giac and now the evoms
i feel the car slow i think i am going to go back to giac even if i dont use the filter one guy with the 997 with the new turbos 996 600 hp as fast .

Old 10-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
I just switched to the HMAF and EVOMSit flash and so far, so good. I honestly don't feel any HUGE differences but the car seems to build boost just ever so slightly quicker and it runs just a tad bit smoother for me. I also have noted better gas mileage as an added bonus. Supposedly this tune is safer on CA 91 octane as well since it was built around the same crappy gas that we are forced to consume... The idea of not blowing another stock MAF was enough of a reason for me to switch so the rest is just gravy and was worth the relatively small costs associated with the swap.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Oh and I'll be running some 100 octane at an upcoming trackday and supposedly the EVOMSit will automatically adjust and I may experience some additional power. It's not a true race gas mode (no auto switch) but the car should adjust and allow itself to make some more power safely... I'll report back if there is any material change. I also hope to experience a smooth, linear and controlled throttle engagement at the track which is also very important above and beyond pure power which I have more than enough of for most tracks around me!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I had both and like the EVOMs better. I had no trouble with GIAC but like the EVOMsit map switching.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Protomotive all the way!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I switched to EVOMSit.

Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Beyond the positive performance/reliability aspect of the EVOMSit flash is the customer support/service you get.

I've had three GIAC flashes, stage 3, 650, and 700. I'll be honest, the stage 3 decent, but the 650/700 with both terrible. GIAC, till this day has never tried to make good on their shortcomings. I also find it rather un-professional how they ignore simple inquiries made via pm or in threads pertaining to the subject matter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which ECU Flash is better GIAC or Evolution?